Quantcast

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
The best way is to promise what you are shure off and leave margins for error everywhere. The less shure you are the bigger the margin should be.
under promise and over deliver
Over promise and under deliver, DOH!!

dammit. At least I gave my customers a $100 late fee for my bad forecasting. If all of MY suppliers did the same, I'd have the frames for free,,,,,,

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
For all the shit you have been given, I am glad to see you keep coming back and updating us on this. Even if none of the folks here are a current customer. So far, it appears, this is being done the right way even with the delays.
Hey, you live where you live. I'm a tough old guy from a bad neighborhood. Besides, preaching to the choir is no challenge.

While not exactly a giant wave, 50 or so of these things will be released into the wild soon. I won't be there to set the sag or air up the tires. Riders will be riding their bikes, not my bikes. The case of whether or not my suspension does what I claim, regardless of theory, is about to get real. And real public.

As for doing it the "right" way.....man, just wingin it....thanks

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I call this the Cnockblock fork clearance check, in honor of the big T (hope I didn't just blow my licensing deal)

cnockblock check.jpg
cable port.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

What went into deciding to bolt on the dropouts vs welding them?
It just seems like three small fasteners are now taking quite a bit of brake load/torque. I know other frames use bolt on dropouts, just wondering how you went about it.

Nick
- not an engineer
Modularity. Currently, there are 2 versions of the rear end. 27.5 x 160 mm and 29 x 130 mm travel. By changing the dropouts, rockers and shock, I can convert between those version and keep the geo that I want for each model. Also the new Shinedown, which is 29 x 160 mm front/27.5 x 160 rr.

This will also let me develop my new model with 180 mm travel, although I'll have to swap out the entire linkage a s well as dropouts, still better than welding new triangles. So, modularity.

As for the fasteners, it's not all apples to apples, but the dropouts use steel 8 mm sex bolts in double shear. The IS brake standard uses 6 mm bolts in single shear. The big difference is that the dropout bolts also take suspension loads, so the brake force is only part of the equation.

I starting designing this style of bolt on dropout for the kona DOPE dropouts starting in '06? They were used on the Coilair, Stinky and Stab DH series and later on the magic link bikes till '13. To my knowledge, no failures or issues. And this design is a bit better, so I'm pretty comfortable with it..

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I was excited and a little worried when the giant DHL truck pulled up. Where was I gonna put it all?

A little disappointed when the truck was almost empty.

dhl.jpg

They packed 'em tight
frames in boxes.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You gotta 'Link' up with this guy https://www.pinkbike.com/news/structure-cycleworks-linkage-fork-crankworx-whistler-2017.html

And make the ultimate linkage bike. How many links can we fit in that linkage?

We know that it looks weird. We tried our best to make it ascetically pleasing given that form has to follow function, and function comes first for us. All we care about is making the bike work the way we designed it to work and to give some advantages that telescoping forks can't offer.— Loni Hull, Structure Cycleworks

ascetic: a person who leads an austerely simple life, especially one who abstains from the normal pleasures of life or denies himself or herself material satisfaction.

I don't think this was a typo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't care what it looks like as long as it has the durability, pedaling AND bump absorption capabilities, which means a little more than the current air shock inception, but I expect refinement and expansion over time. It's pretty cool that he's actually close to delivering.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hey, you live where you live. I'm a tough old guy from a bad neighborhood. Besides, preaching to the choir is no challenge.

While not exactly a giant wave, 50 or so of these things will be released into the wild soon. I won't be there to set the sag or air up the tires. Riders will be riding their bikes, not my bikes. The case of whether or not my suspension does what I claim, regardless of theory, is about to get real. And real public.

As for doing it the "right" way.....man, just wingin it....thanks
keep winging it, if the bikes work as advertised you might find yourself making more than 50.

I hope they sell well for you. I hope they ride well for your customers. I hope they are understanding in the delays.

Thanks again for putting up with the internet and sharing this process with all of us, I have found it fascinating and really enjoy seeing it all come together for you.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
keep winging it, if the bikes work as advertised you might find yourself making more than 50.

I hope they sell well for you. I hope they ride well for your customers. I hope they are understanding in the delays.

Thanks again for putting up with the internet and sharing this process with all of us, I have found it fascinating and really enjoy seeing it all come together for you.
Thanks, i'll be wingin it. Go with what got you here, right?

It's been fun to share, even with those that are less than positive.

Building up my mule, frame #0000001. Guess who's going to keep it?

frame on floor 1s.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
frame on floor 2.jpg
Ridin the mule

I built this up as a 160 mm 29 fr/160 mm 27.5 rr, which at the moment is still my favorite combo. I'll do more of a write up on this later.

This build is mean to test some limits on rake:

63 degree HT.

440 mm reach,

343mm (13.5") bb,

428mm (16.85) cs

Size M, which is equivalent to a 432 mm (17") seat tube with 724mm standover (28.5")

Riding sweet.....

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Would be hella interesting trying one of these more controversial designs! Thanks for sharing the process though, really shows how hard it is to get your own product to market!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
View attachment 126216 Ridin the mule

I built this up as a 160 mm 29 fr/160 mm 27.5 rr, which at the moment is still my favorite combo. I'll do more of a write up on this later.

This build is mean to test some limits on rake:

63 degree HT.

440 mm reach,

343mm (13.5") bb,

428mm (16.85) cs

Size M, which is equivalent to a 432 mm (17") seat tube with 724mm standover (28.5")

Riding sweet.....
Nice job.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Do you have any demo rides scheduled in the near future?
I suspect I'll be flat out between eurobike and iinterbike, Finishing and building bikes.

After I-bike, I plan to hit the eastern half of the U.S while the weather is still good, before turning west.

where are you?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Would be hella interesting trying one of these more controversial designs! Thanks for sharing the process though, really shows how hard it is to get your own product to market!
Thanks. I'm telling about 20% of it. Enough to fill a book.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
63* ha is aggro. i assume the stocker is intended @ 650 F&R? curious how the dual diameters is working for you (and the hyper slack h/a).
The standard Meltdown, with 170 mm fork and 27.5 wheels, is 64.5

The slack works due to the fact that it steepens a lot while climbing. The traditional trade off of slack is wandering while climbing. The geometry change takes care of that. Climbs like it's 68 or so.

The rake might take a little getting used to on flat ground, although with the 29 fr and 27.5 rear, it seems more forgiving...of the rake....

The dual diameter wheels are another discussion, but it seems to be the best of both worlds, and an improvement over either 27.5 fr/rr or 29 fr/rr. I'm writing a separate report on my testing, which has been pretty back to back to back to back

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
You gonna have any bikes at Interbike Outdoor demo?
At the moment, while I have an interbike booth for the fist time in 10 years, I haven't sprung for outdoor demo. It's not like I'm gonna have a ton of bikes, probably a couple show/demo bikes.

I was thinking more along the lines of appointments, either before or during the show.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The dual diameter wheels are another discussion, but it seems to be the best of both worlds, and an improvement over either 27.5 fr/rr or 29 fr/rr. I'm writing a separate report on my testing, which has been pretty back to back to back to back
I am really surprised this isn't more popular or that more manufacturers aren't going this way.