Quantcast

...And then there was one :(

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I just sold my bike, Roscoe (2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe II). I had to admit I wouldn't be riding the mountains again this summer. Better he go to a home where he gets some use. Now, Cooter (my city-cruising, rigid frankenbike built around an Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto frame) is the lone survivor from my stable of four. My nameless road bike and Die Deutschmaschine (a Nicolai UFO ST) were sacrificed in the past year.

It hurts my soul.

1280110098629.jpg

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have been thinking about culling my herd too...just cant decide where to start. Thinking about the single speed, as there isnt much one gear action here...get another on return to the States...but the road bike doesnt get much action either. The FS only gets appropriate riding when I go south to the mountains...the only one I know isnt going anywhere is the Moots, but if I get the right offer...

I have very rarely sold a bike and not regretted it eventually.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've been considering selling my single speed. I really enjoy riding it, but I've only been out on it a handful of times. I would surely regret selling it, but there's no sense letting that much potential cash just sit in the garage.

That would mean I only have the crosscheck, but that one has been ridden more in the past two weeks than the single speed ever has been.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I commute on my single...have an extra wheelset with high pressure slicks, and it flys! But the rolling hills around here are a little rough to run with only one gear option. Problem for me is that it is v-brake equipped, and everything new (save for custom rigs...) is disc. The cool extras I have would go un used or under used...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm down to my 575 and roadie. I've sold my bigtop and DJ in the last 6 months

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I did that. Sold everything down to one bike. Then my bike broke. Then I lost my job.

I haven't rode a trail in over a year. :(

Don't sell your bikes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm tempted to roll the cash into a Redline Monocog or a Kona Unit. The trail riding around here is really just fire roads. It will still be a few months before I'm ready to do that again, since I need to let the summer heat cool down. Though the new Kona bikes will be out soon, meaning price drops on the "old" models.

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Getting rid of bikes usually feels bad but getting new or used replacements feels so good. I was down to 3 now i'm back up to 6.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
For me it all depends on what type of bike it is and how well it holds it's value. Have sold a few used town/urban bikes (Trek Lime, GF Simple City) for about what I paid for them (EP) but it doesn't even seem worth it for mtn bikes... Might as well keep all of the parts to build up that random frame/DJ/etc at some point in the future.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Most of teh time I try to get my wife to adopt my old scoots...new seat, bars, whatever...and then I get something new, and still get to roll the old ones now and then.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't hold onto bikes long enough to become attached. There are too many neat designs out there, and it's too easy to buy and sell without having them depreciate to not try them out. As I tell my wife, at least it's not Audis.

I'm on my third trail bike this year. Voodoo 29, Scott 29, C'dale rush which is getting 650b'ed. I'm starting to learn what really sucks and what doesn't, which is cool.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
for me it was a bit symbolic in my recovery, not so much about the specific bike. i'm now "out" of the mountain bike game since i have no mountain bikes left. nothing says i can't get back in, though.