Quantcast

...and you know what else pisses me off?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
People, whose first language is NOT ENGLISH, who try to correct my English.

A drawing checker here is trying to tell me that what I have put on a document is incorrect, when in fact it IS correct. His way is wrong.

And no I will NOT suck it up!

- Princess.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
congratulate him on being smart enough to "know" 2 languages, but that he should really concentrate on english......since this is America. I would go out of my way to prove him wrong.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I always wanted to take ESL classes to see if I would learn anything different since it is taught as a second language.

Would that make me bilingual?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Response #1 (How can I help / make it better?)
Not sure how English is taught in Canada... but English can be somewhat subjective in usage. For example, Americans will separate a string of items with commas, incliding a comma before the "and," ("I had peas, carrots, and potatoes.") British usage omits that final comma.

Similarly, other usage varries. "I stayed with her at weekends," or "They went to hospital," are British usages, and would be seen as a bit awkward by Americans.

Are you sure it's not a stylistics thing? (Just looking for a reason for you not to be pissed off.)

But if you want to be pissed off, I can certainly sympathise.

Response #2 (Sympathy)

Wow. That really sucks. Sorry. :(

splat

Nam I am
Try it....read up on your war of 1812 history to see what happened the last time you guys tried....
Yeah Right , that was when we just shoved those dam red coats back to to england . Remeber the Battle of New Orleans !

And I do know exactly what you talking about ,and it was some serious stupid tactics they used up in the battle of New Brunswick, but I have to act like the typical american! , even though most of them don't know about the ass whopping the brits took at New Orleans.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's worse when they correct and you were actually wrong. Happens to me, oh, at a guess, every-****ing-day. Better stop taking the missus' valium before I go to work I suppose.