Quantcast

Angry’s 2023 AT Thru Hike

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My target start date May 4 would have allowed me to hike North with the Rhodo bloom. Which would have been spectacular. I’ve hike in blooming rhodo tunnels before. However the Laurels are still blooming at higher elevations as are various colors of wild azaleas.
Noticed some nice azaleas in your pictures too!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 22

Took a zero at the Quality Inn in Gatlinburg. Not the cleanest of hotels but it had a tub that I could soak in and it was close to the restaurants. Everything there was way overpriced. No pics.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 23

Since my knee was still feeling sore I took another zero in Gatlinburg. No pics because Gatlinburg is gross. Also they have mountains with a chairlift and a gondola yet zero mountain bikes. Weird.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 24

Hiked 11 miles from Newfound Gap to Peck’s Corner Shelter.

Got a shuttle from Gatlinburg back to the trailhead at Newfound Gap. There I met another thru hiker who started the same day as me named Oatmeal. At the shelter I ran into Rambo again. After taking off for…reasons, he wound up taking a triple zero in Gatlinburg because he got food poisoning.

That night it started to rain. Then it became a massive downpour. Rain was hitting me in the face from the pitch lock corners. The floor got soaked from condensation which got my sleeping pad wet. The foot box on my sleeping bag was wet as well as my pillow. The next morning I was in no mood to deal with the mess. Especially without much sleep. I tried in vain to mop up some of the water. Took some effort to pack things up so as not to make the problem worse. The tent was a disaster, muddy and rolled up puddles. There was at least a pound to a pound and half of extra water weight just in the tent.

day-24-1.jpg

day-24-2.jpg

day-24-3.jpg

day-24-4.jpg

day-24-5.jpg

day-24-6.jpg

day-24-7.jpg

day-24-8.jpg

day-24-9.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 25

13 miles from Peck’s Corner Shelter to Cosby Knob Shelter.

My wet tent and gear were making a noticeable difference in my pack weight. That morning it was cold and windy which made climbing more challenging.

Most of the day we were socked in and couldn’t see much through the clouds. But there were some views towards the end of the day. That night, despite my reservations about staying in shelters I slept in one to avoid being drenched again. Rambo and Oatmeal were my only roommates for night. Mice be damned, I wasn’t rolling up a muddy wet tent again.

day-25-1.jpg

day-25-2.jpg

day-25-3.jpg

day-25-4.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 26

Hiked 10 miles from Cosby Knob Shelter to Standing Bear Farms.

Unlike the previous days mess that delayed me getting out of camp at a reasonable hour. We were up and moving before 8:00.

This was the last day of the Smokies and the trail was mostly a creek uphill and downhill all day. But I was ever so ready to be done.

Just off the AT is a rustic farm that has been converted to a hostel. There we could eat frozen pizzas in a restaurant grade small oven and resupply at a very reasonable price. I had a private room with a metal grate over a creek for a front porch. So cool.

day-26-1.jpg

day-26-2.jpg

day-26-3.jpg

day-26-4.jpg

day-26-5.jpg

day-26-6.jpg

day-26-7.jpg

day-26-8.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
that right there is why I went from a fly and ground pad to an ultralight tent with a waterproof bathtub floor.

keep on trucking bro
I have a tent made from a water proof material called Dyneema. It was stupid expensive. Supposed to be one of the best tents available for storms. High winds it’s awesome. Torrential downpour, not so much.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have a tent made from a water proof material called Dyneema. It was stupid expensive. Supposed to be one of the best tents available for storms. High winds it’s awesome. Torrential downpour, not so much.
My one man tent is designed for 65 mph winds. every couple of years I re do the waterproofing on the fly and the bathtub floor. An 850 fill down bag is useless when wet.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 27

15 miles from Standing Bear Farm to Roaring Fork Shelter.

Didn’t get started until 10:15 and headed out in the rain. Rambo decided to stay behind and do a little work for pay/stay. Oatmeal and Pittsburgh got a reasonable start. The first climb was 4.4 miles or so but I just couldn’t get any kind of pace going. Probably took 4 hours to drag my legs up that mountain.

Saw a wild turkey in the rhododendrons. And walked across the famous Max Patch. Unfortunately it was way too cold and windy to spend any time up there. Gave a shout out to the universe thanking a friend who died of cancer a couple years ago for telling me about Max Patch and how much it meant to him. Rest in peace Nathan Milner. @stevew he’s the Grammy nominated sound engineer who designed the Orange Peels system.

Finally got to the shelter at 7:00 and ran into Oatmeal again. Slept pretty well despite the mice in the rafters.

day-27-1.jpg

day-27-2.jpg

day-27-3.jpg

day-27-4.jpg

day-27-5.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 28

Hiked 18 miles from Roaring Fork Shelter to Hot Springs.

Woke up with the birds as usual and was on trail at 7:35. Right on time. Got 9+ miles in before noon. Very little rain. Was feeling really strong and kept a good pace for 9.5 hours. Checked into Laughing Heart hostel that is literally a few feet from the AT.

day-28-1.jpg

day-28-2.jpg

day-28-3.jpg

day-28-4.jpg

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Day 27

15 miles from Standing Bear Farm to Roaring Fork Shelter.

Didn’t get started until 10:15 and headed out in the rain. Rambo decided to stay behind and do a little work for pay/stay. Oatmeal and Pittsburgh got a reasonable start. The first climb was 4.4 miles or so but I just couldn’t get any kind of pace going. Probably took 4 hours to drag my legs up that mountain.

Saw a wild turkey in the rhododendrons. And walked across the famous Max Patch. Unfortunately it was way too cold and windy to spend any time up there. Gave a shout out to the universe thanking a friend who died of cancer a couple years ago for telling me about Max Patch and how much it meant to him. Rest in peace Nathan Milner. @stevew he’s the Grammy nominated sound engineer who designed the Orange Peels system.
max patch....

ive been trying to remember that for about 6 months....

thanks....and be safe....

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
To put thru hiking into perspective, Pittsburgh is an ex army ranger who has run one marathon and several half marathons. He said they cannot compare to how difficult this is day in and day out. I believe him. They say DH racing is 90% mental and 10% physical. This almost 90% physical. The mental aspect is certainly important but it’s a much smaller part.

An average trail day looks something like this. Wake up when the birds start chirping between 5:55-6:15am. Change out of sleep clothes into hiking clothes. Climb back into sleeping bag to warm back up. Then retrieve the food bag from either a bear box or hanging. Make coffee and have a snack while packing up. Pop out of tent with loaded pack, take down tent, roll it up and stuff into back of pack. Start walking at 7:35am. If you want to make big miles then 8:00 is too late. Hike and snack while on the move. Stop for a lunch break, usually only 30 minutes or so. Continue hiking until 5:00 or 6:00 then set up camp. Since all hikers have chores to do such as getting water, cooking, and planning the next day there is very little time for anything else. By 8:00 pm in sleeping bag relaxing while waiting for the sun to set.

Hiking up to 10.5 hours a day and pushing myself to the limit everyday is unbelievably difficult. When I get into camp I have left nothing on the table. Completely exhausted.

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
To put thru hiking into perspective, Pittsburgh is an ex army ranger who has run one marathon and several half marathons. He said they cannot compare to how difficult this is day in and day out. I believe him. They say DH racing is 90% mental and 10% physical. This almost 90% physical. The mental aspect is certainly important but it’s a much smaller part.

An average trail day looks something like this. Wake up when the birds start chirping between 5:55-6:15am. Change out of sleep clothes into hiking clothes. Climb back into sleeping bag to warm back up. Then retrieve the food bag from either a bear box or hanging. Make coffee and have a snack while packing up. Pop out of tent with loaded pack, take down tent, roll it up and stuff into back of pack. Start walking at 7:35am. If you want to make big miles then 8:00 is too late. Hike and snack while on the move. Stop for a lunch break, usually only 30 minutes or so. Continue hiking until 5:00 or 6:00 then set up camp. Since all hikers have chores to do such as getting water, cooking, and planning the next day there is very little time for anything else. By 8:00 pm in sleeping bag relaxing while waiting for the sun to set.

Hiking up to 10.5 hours a day and pushing myself to the limit everyday is unbelievably difficult. When I get into camp I have left nothing on the table. Completely exhausted.
The simplicity of the trail. I think that's part of the pull. Since I have been back in my world I've had car problems, mad layoffs at work, cleaned my house, mowed my yard how many times, many dealings with as@holes....yet in your world, you walk and look at awesome sites.
Planning to go back in August/Sept to finish GA.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 29

0 miles hiked

Took a zero at Laughing Heart Hostel to take a break from the rain and resupply. It’s a very warm and homey place. There was a full kitchen and some guests who were not hikers would leave their groceries after their stay. I got to make a real breakfast for myself. Someone left eggs, applewood bacon, Gouda cheese, garlic, shallots, and bread. What a treat to get to actually cook instead of tearing open an energy bar on the move or pouring boiling water into a plastic bag. Satisfying to the soul.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 30

Hiked 16 miles from Hot Springs to 0.6 miles past Allen Gap.

As always I over bought on food and of course there is a long climb out of town with all that weight. Ugh. There’s a camping ban in place for a stretch along this part of the trail so a long day was unavoidable. Camped with Oatmeal for the night. Along the way we saw a bear. She’s seen several but this was my first on trail. It made so much noise it sounded almost like a tree falling. A sound I have heard a few other times. Bears probably see and hear me easily since I probably sound like an asthmatic water buffalo when I’m climbing.

day-30-1.jpg

day-30-2.jpg

day-30-3.jpg

day-30-4.jpg

day-30-5.jpg

day-30-6.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 31

11 miles from Allen Gap tent site to Jerry’s Cabin Shelter.

Early in the morning I came across a sign at a dirt road promising free cookies. FarOut app comments confirmed the legitimacy. Walked a short way to a house in the woods where I met a very sweet older lady who had a little trail magic station set up on her porch. There hikers could get water, dump their trash, and get a fresh baked piece of cherry zucchini bread. Talked with her a bit which was nice as we don’t run into many people in a day.

By this point my right Achilles tendon was on fire as I climbed out of there. It would stay that way for the rest of the day. My shoes were worn nearly slick and I should have replaced them in Hot Springs. This made walking fairly challenging with everything wet. No traction and my feet were sliding all over the place.

Got to a section of rocky trail that quickly became the most technically challenging section of trail so far. Not sure of its total length but it’s an often exposed ridge line for at least 1.4 miles. Lots of seriously steep steps, hand over hand rock scrambles and boulders in dark rhododendron thickets. Stopped for a couple of quick pics and noticed the storm moving in. I did my best to get the Hell off that ridge before it hit. But my slick shoes and ankle were slowing my pace to a crawl.

I had already gotten my rain cover on the pack and jacket on. The wind whipped up quite fiercely as the bottom fell out of the sky. My rain jacket wetted out in seconds. The umbrella wasn’t an option either. I was alone, on a high exposed ridge line, hurt, with shoes that were making an already difficult section treacherous during a massive thunderstorm.

Was I scared? Oh hell yes. But I had no other options other than to keep pushing forward. I kept telling myself to focus on each step. Falling here, now, could have grave consequences. It was way more nerve racking than any DH race track that I have ridden. I knew that it was only 2.6 miles to the next shelter. And I just kept going.

My clothes were drenched and it’s been rather cold in the mountains for summer. But after the storm let up and I was able to descend off the ridge, things started to dry a little. Made it to Jerry’s Cabin Shelter a little after 4:00. Quite a bit short of my 18 mile target. Quickly I got out my sleeping pad and bag, changed into my dry sleeping clothes and climbed into the bag to get warm.

I laid there for a moment thinking I should take care of my wet gear and stuff but I just fell asleep for an hour. It was just this oh so brief moment of absolute pure joy. Nothing else mattered. I was warm, dry and out of the rain.

Eventually I did get water, eat and hang up wet clothes or wear some dry as much as I could. It was about 7:30 or 8:00 when two female hikers and their dog made it to the shelter. They were pretty cool and it was nice to have some company. Later that night another thunderstorm rolled through and pounded the tin roof in the wee hours. No chance of getting out of bed to go pee, nah uh.

edit: passed the 300 mile marker

day-31-1-plus.jpg

day-31-1.jpg

day-31-2.jpg

day-31-3.jpg

day-31-4.jpg

day-31-5.jpg

day-31-6.jpg

day-31-7.jpg

day-31-8.jpg

day-31-9.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 32

16 miles from Jerry’s Cabin Shelter to Hogback Ridge Shelter.

The two hikers that were at the shelter were from Asheville and offered to give me a ride if I needed one to the airport where I could rent a car as I was seriously considering quitting. The rain was getting to me. Still does. It’s been raining everyday since 6/18. Day hiking in rain is one thing but living in it can be miserable especially when you’re by yourself.

My Achilles tendon wasn’t hurting this morning and I felt pretty strong. Kept hiking to a shelter where I took a lunch break. There I talked to a Forest Service worker who was posting signs on the shelters about the recent closures due to aggressive bears. Made it to Hogback Ridge Shelter where I was the only one. Set up my tent since it wasn’t supposed to rain. There I had cel signal, a very rare thing for those with Verizon on the AT. Made a call to a local hostel to pick me up in the morning.

day-32-1.jpg

day-32-2.jpg

day-32-3.jpg

day-32-4.jpg

day-32-5.jpg

day-32-6.jpg

day-32-7.jpg

day-32-8.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 33

2.5 miles from Hogback Ridge Shelter to Sam’s Gap.

Decided to take an unscheduled break on my way to Erwin, another 24 miles or so up trail. Needed to get my head right and clean up. Have a private cabin by a creek at Nature’s Inn Hostel. When I told the manager about what I had been through with the T-storm and showed her my slick shoes, she immediately offered to drive me into town to get a new pair from the local outfitter. Such an awesome host, thanks Amy.

day-33-1.jpg

day-33-2.jpg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, you'll need to post just the last 4 digits of the associated cell phone for new payees to be able to use the "@" handle to send funds.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Okay, the number is 4841. How is that written ? Totally clueless here.
Someone trying to send monies to you on Venmo using @Angryman will need those digits the first time they send money to confirm they're sending to the correct @Person.

So you're good with what you've posted.

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
Day 31

11 miles from Allen Gap tent site to Jerry’s Cabin Shelter.

Early in the morning I came across a sign at a dirt road promising free cookies. FarOut app comments confirmed the legitimacy. Walked a short way to a house in the woods where I met a very sweet older lady who had a little trail magic station set up on her porch. There hikers could get water, dump their trash, and get a fresh baked piece of cherry zucchini bread. Talked with her a bit which was nice as we don’t run into many people in a day.

By this point my right Achilles tendon was on fire as I climbed out of there. It would stay that way for the rest of the day. My shoes were worn nearly slick and I should have replaced them in Hot Springs. This made walking fairly challenging with everything wet. No traction and my feet were sliding all over the place.

Got to a section of rocky trail that quickly became the most technically challenging section of trail so far. Not sure of its total length but it’s an often exposed ridge line for at least 1.4 miles. Lots of seriously steep steps, hand over hand rock scrambles and boulders in dark rhododendron thickets. Stopped for a couple of quick pics and noticed the storm moving in. I did my best to get the Hell off that ridge before it hit. But my slick shoes and ankle were slowing my pace to a crawl.

I had already gotten my rain cover on the pack and jacket on. The wind whipped up quite fiercely as the bottom fell out of the sky. My rain jacket wetted out in seconds. The umbrella wasn’t an option either. I was alone, on a high exposed ridge line, hurt, with shoes that were making an already difficult section treacherous during a massive thunderstorm.

Was I scared? Oh hell yes. But I had no other options other than to keep pushing forward. I kept telling myself to focus on each step. Falling here, now, could have grave consequences. It was way more nerve racking than any DH race track that I have ridden. I knew that it was only 2.6 miles to the next shelter. And I just kept going.

My clothes were drenched and it’s been rather cold in the mountains for summer. But after the storm let up and I was able to descend off the ridge, things started to dry a little. Made it to Jerry’s Cabin Shelter a little after 4:00. Quite a bit short of my 18 mile target. Quickly I got out my sleeping pad and bag, changed into my dry sleeping clothes and climbed into the bag to get warm.

I laid there for a moment thinking I should take care of my wet gear and stuff but I just fell asleep for an hour. It was just this oh so brief moment of absolute pure joy. Nothing else mattered. I was warm, dry and out of the rain.

Eventually I did get water, eat and hang up wet clothes or wear some dry as much as I could. It was about 7:30 or 8:00 when two female hikers and their dog made it to the shelter. They were pretty cool and it was nice to have some company. Later that night another thunderstorm rolled through and pounded the tin roof in the wee hours. No chance of getting out of bed to go pee, nah uh.

edit: passed the 300 mile marker

View attachment 196062

View attachment 196063

View attachment 196064

View attachment 196065

View attachment 196066

View attachment 196067

View attachment 196068

View attachment 196069

View attachment 196070

View attachment 196071
That salamander is in a lot of pictures on AT Facebook