Quantcast

Anne Caro & Nico, pau

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
One of the things I've been loving about the EWS is watching these two legends who were away from racing for years come back and compete with a new generation. Today they both anounced their retirement and this time it's for good. After a few years on the circuit I'm not surprised Nico is over it but I was hoping to see Anne Caro regain her health and fitness for one more championship season.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The two best MTB gravity racers ever are out......
as much as I think professional enduro racing is dumb as hell;

watching the 1 minute clip on pinkbike easily suggests that these washed up DH riders ride at a level way over the heads of any of the guys back in the 90s, on bikes that "aren't designed for DH". Credit where it's due, Nico and Anne Caro both were awesome, but they were formerly well trained BMXers that crossed over. Pro DHers nowadays are in fantastic shape with incredible physical abilities. I don't know I can say the same for dudes riding Konas back in 96.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If you add up their World Champ gold medals you get 26 of them in JR and SR that is pretty insane. Just a decade of the Frenchy's having at it...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
as much as I think professional enduro racing is dumb as hell;

watching the 1 minute clip on pinkbike easily suggests that these washed up DH riders ride at a level way over the heads of any of the guys back in the 90s, on bikes that "aren't designed for DH". Credit where it's due, Nico and Anne Caro both were awesome, but they were formerly well trained BMXers that crossed over. Pro DHers nowadays are in fantastic shape with incredible physical abilities. I don't know I can say the same for dudes riding Konas back in 96.
That 1 minute clip was 20 seconds of bike riding. They rode bikes for how many days and that was the best they could do?! Get a new editor.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That 1 minute clip was 20 seconds of bike riding. They rode bikes for how many days and that was the best they could do?! Get a new editor.
I actually thought "Hey, this is pretty cool to watch", but then I realized it would be cooler if they were going faster on bigger bikes. :boss: 20s of enduro is plenty for me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Bah, it's just riding bikes.

But if Bro's and Bitches be winning for decades. That's pretty cool IMO.

I'd say the older you get, the more "negative" experiences you get. Which leads you to be more tentative/slower in places that remind you of breaking bones. So for those older racers to mentally get over that, not only compete, but WIN, all the while staying fit and healthy (muscular-skeletal and illness wise) is quite the feat.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
After giving this enduro thing a try this weekend, I concur. Enduro is pretty stupid.
You should come out for the Keystone Enduro. It is the opposite of stupid. Prolly the most DH friendly enduro race I know of. Zactly why I do it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm guessing you did a race other than the Monarch Crest Enduro. Anyone who rides trail bikes has to love those courses.
I was in Marquette Michigan, the trails were a hoot, it was all the climbing between them that was un enjoyable. I think chairlifts are more better.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't understand the "pau" reference in the title... it's a city in the south of France, but I don't think that's what this refers to... is it?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Pau means done in Hawaiian and it's one of the most commonly used Hawaiian words. For example, most bars have "pau hana" (done work) instead of "happy hour". It's got a succinct finality that I like.