Quantcast

Another argument.............Friggin wheels

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So i got into another arguement today about wheels, had another rider telling me that my Openrpos are Crap, and the Carbon elite is the Only way to go. Oh well gues she can wast ehis money, I absolutly love My Openpro/Ultegra wheels, straight, smooth, great ride, awesome cornering, absolutly best all around wheel IMO.

So with that said, whats everyone elses Favorite wheelset for Allaround road riding, you know something you like for flatlands, climbs and centuries.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I love the ticking from the little wishbone that breaks lose from the seam from when it was held together to be welded. :D

I have ridden thousands of miles on OPs and Ultegra hubs. I like them fine, but they are not my favorites. I rode some Race XXX Lite carbon clinchers last week that are awesome.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I'm a firm believer in a traditional wheel build. Open pros, DT triple butted and Hugis are my pick.

It always astounds riding companions on minimal or paired spoke wheels when on the very rare occasion I've popped a spoke, removed it trued the wheel to compensate and continued the century ride. Normally when they lose a spoke its all over and they call the wife.

The funny thing is weight wise there really isn't a difference to be had one for the other.

Ok so its not as cool but it's to my mind better pick in the long run.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'm a believer in RR 1.1s too

The OPs are a great rim, except for when you get unlucky and the creak of death smites you.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You know its funny, i have built up close to 40 OP in teh last year, and noone has come back to complain of a creaking, I mean, i know exactly what nise your all talking about, heard it once before on a set someone else built, Maybe Ive just been really lucky, who knows though, that or they just dont complain about it. Who knows, good replies though. I like the RR1.1's also.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Open Pros are always a solid bet. I use mine for road and cross and rarely have to true them. Never had an issue with the rims or with the hubs (Ultegra). They are not the prettiest, lightest or (probably) the fastest, but they get the job done cheaply and with a minimum number of hassles.