Quantcast

Another convert....

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
When we were originally looking for a replacement computer for my wife, she really wanted a laptop, but didn't seem interested in anything else. So we ended up geting a 15.4" widescreen toshiba. Well the notebook has been a bit of a hassle(OEM installed malware) and she doesn't like the keyboard, and it's noisier than she would like. She also doesn't like that our daughter can get to it and possibly spill something in the keyboard, ruining the whole unit.

I was trying to figure out what she really wanted when she bought the laptop. She wanted:

1. A very small computer, with a nice big display, that she can use in the limited space downstairs.

2. Wireless ethernet

3. Small enough to take camping in our trailer.

4. She needs to use her computer for surfing the web, e-mail and art stuff. Ocassionally MS office.

Well, after seeing and playing with my Imac it's exactly what she wants. and we'll be getting one this weekend. The Toshiba is probably going to be relegated to the role of in-car DVD player.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Word of caution, this coming from a semi-recent convert from Windows to OSX. It will be different, sometimes frustrating(it took me almost 3 weeks to get over ctrl-c ctrl-v for copy paste), but once you get used to it, you wont ever want to go back.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Word of caution, this coming from a semi-recent convert from Windows to OSX. It will be different, sometimes frustrating(it took me almost 3 weeks to get over ctrl-c ctrl-v for copy paste), but once you get used to it, you wont ever want to go back.
I'm a ver recent convert (about a month) and I had that experience too. I'm almost over the shift-delete and shift-insert.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

Stinky, I'm just doing my part to get people off of Windoze and on to the mac. My wife is now a convert and I have at least one person at work seriously looking, he doesn't admit it yet but he will convert.

P.S. the first words out of my wife's mouth "OH my god, I can't believe how good it looks"

P.P.S I ordered a 30 day trial CD of CS2 from adobe, I'm going to compare it to gimp, and a couple of other programs. Thanks for offering to let me borrow your photoshop.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL

Stinky, I'm just doing my part to get people off of Windoze and on to the mac. My wife is now a convert and I have at least one person at work seriously looking, he doesn't admit it yet but he will convert.

P.S. the first words out of my wife's mouth "OH my god, I can't believe how good it looks"

P.P.S I ordered a 30 day trial CD of CS2 from adobe, I'm going to compare it to gimp, and a couple of other programs. Thanks for offering to let me borrow your photoshop.
I'm sure you know that, but CS2 might run a bit slow on your new Intel based Mac. Rosetta thing does not work that great with non binary apps I've heard.

When Adobe releases the new univeral binary CS, it will surely be the bomb, but for now, I can tell you that Go Live runs way slower on my new MacBook with a 2.0 gz Intel Core Duo chipset, 1gig of ram etc. than it did on my old iBook G4 800mhz 512 Ram.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rosetta just got a HUGE speed bump in 10.4.8 . Independant review sites are seeing 25% speed increases in apps using rosetta.

CS3 will be a Intel based or universal in the late spring I think?

Not really a valid comparison, but cs2 runs much faster on my Mac Pro 2.66 than it does on my g4 powerbook 1.67.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
CS3 will be a Intel based or universal in the late spring I think?
Officially yes, but the thing is, like you just mentionned, that it will not be available before June 2007 (approx.). Adobe says that they had to redesign some code that was about 10 years old and, at the time, perfectly adapted to the Power Pc environment. They say such a change takes time and so on and so forth. Evidently, that is not good for Apple who claims that there new computers are twice as fast as their predecessors, but, unfortunatly, not with some of the most important software available for Mac, and the Pro Community.