Quantcast

Another DC fork installation question

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The upper crown of my '02 Jr-T is 1.5" below the upper extremity of the stanchions and I have 1" of spacers between the upper crown and the stem.

Should I swap the spacers-crown positions so that my upper crown lies 1" above it's current position? Would this increase the torsionnal stiffness of the fork?

Also, would this be a problem if the stem is in direct contact with the crown (without spacers in between).
Note: I feel silly to ask this question 'cause it seems to me that the obvious answer is "Of course not! It doesn't change anything if it's the stem or a spacer that is in contact with the crown..." but I prefer to ask it anyway...

Thanks a lot! :)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
but if you do Dh and hucking ,why do you have so much space between the stem and crown :confused: :confused: ,there is no real way to stiffen your fork ,also how did you notice the flex ,are you standing there with the front wheel ,between you legs and twist the bars ,if so this meens nothing ,cause you fork legs are pushed all the way out when you are not on the bike ,but win your on the bike it pushes the stanchions ,further into the bushings .......

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by shocktower
why do you have so much space between the stem and crown :confused: :confused:
Because my lbs installed it that way...

Originally posted by shocktower
also how did you notice the flex ,are you standing there with the front wheel ,between you legs and twist the bars
No. I know this "test" of the flex by the wheel between the legs is absolutely meaningless. I was just asking if it could help to raise the upper crown. I seems to me that the larger the distance is between the two crowns, the stronger the fork will be in torsion.

So in conclusion, it doesn't change anything to change the upper crown height?

Thanks shocktower.:)