Quantcast

Another FR option...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So basically like a Specialized Enduro from 10 years ago...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Didn't they sell catalog bikes? The customizing option is really nice but then again they aren't super cheap vs other direct order companies not have some super interesting frames. What made you interested in them outside of the obligatory freeride 10/10 review (i assume but they always get well rated).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Didn't they sell catalog bikes? The customizing option is really nice but then again they aren't super cheap vs other direct order companies not have some super interesting frames. What made you interested in them outside of the obligatory freeride 10/10 review (i assume but they always get well rated).
Geometry/travel is in the realm of what I was looking for. There are very few bikes in this category available in the US right now, so each one tends to be novel (i.e. ~180mm travel bikes with DH geometry (~64 deg head angle) and an AM seatpost angle).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Geometry/travel is in the realm of what I was looking for. There are very few bikes in this category available in the US right now, so each one tends to be novel (i.e. ~180mm travel bikes with DH geometry (~64 deg head angle) and an AM seatpost angle).
Knolly Delirium? The new one seems perfect for you

Not sure about Banshee darkside. The seatpost angle may be wrong

Canyon also made a bike like that. A ton of other euro companies make them. + there are quite a few heavy enduro bikes in the 170-180mm range.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Knolly Delirium? The new one seems perfect for you
That's what I wound up buying. I like it a lot, although a little more travel in the rear would be nice. Darkside's seatpost angle is too slack. Canyon isn't available in the USA yet, and the geometry of the Torque is steep/high instead of low/slack.

Options available in the USA (~64 degree head angle, low BB, AM seatpost angle, 180mm fork):

Specialized Enduro EVO
Intense Uzzi
Knolly Delirium
Rose Soul Fire
Nicolai Ion 20 (looks like the seat post angle is steep enough)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's what I wound up buying. I like it a lot, although a little more travel in the rear would be nice. Darkside's seatpost angle is too slack. Canyon isn't available in the USA yet, and the geometry of the Torque is steep/high instead of low/slack.

Options available in the USA (~64 degree head angle, low BB, AM seatpost angle, 180mm fork):

Specialized Enduro EVO
Intense Uzzi
Knolly Delirium
Rose Soul Fire
Nicolai Ion 20 (looks like the seat post angle is steep enough)
170mm is not enough? You want a pedallable 180+ travel bike? I think Ancilotti had an enduro bike with 190mm of travel. Though the frame was heavy and it had an interrupted seattube.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
170mm is not enough? You want a pedallable 180+ travel bike? I think Ancilotti had an enduro bike with 190mm of travel. Though the frame was heavy and it had an interrupted seattube.
It's enough, but just barely. This is my only DH bike (sold my pure DH bike last spring), I use it for resort riding and I prefer old school rough technical DH over flow/jump trails. I had an Enduro EVO last year and it's 180mm worked out fine. I'm faster on the Knolly but that's due to geometry that suits me better.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This guy says you just need to ride moar.

Long travel bikes can be ridden uphill, slowly, but possible.
It all depends on the trail. I'm starting to like the idea for people who live in the hills. On the other hand if you have some steep uphills the bike may be a slog.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It all depends on the trail. I'm starting to like the idea for people who live in the hills. On the other hand if you have some steep uphills the bike may be a slog.
Oh it's a total slog pedaling up. For quite a while my only bike was a 46 llb. DH sled geared as low as I could get it and with a full length seat post and quick release. This was while I lived in the mountains. Rode it as a trail bike, DH shuttle bike, and commuter. Climbing on it made my legs strong but oddly did almost nothing for cardio.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't have an argument.

I don't like loooong chainstays or wheelbases or wheels

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't have an argument.

I don't like loooong chainstays or wheelbases or wheels
Tbh I like Long chainstays. I just think since it's not a full blown dh bike I'd rather see it a bit shorter and a bit more agile but I think some people want an uphillable bike that will be close in stability to a dh bike. Though then I'd change a few other geo numbers too