Quantcast

Another lens/camera question....

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Any suggestions for a canon macro and/or low telephoto zoom lens?

Totally blank page here, I opened my mailbox and found out I should be getting several thousand dollars in the next couple of weeks. I can't spend it all on camera stuff, but I could spend a about a grand, maybe a little more. I currently have a digital rebel xt, and a nice 70-200mm f/4L is USM.

Any other suggestions?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
For the macro lens check out the 100mm f2.8 macro, or the 50mm macro and life-size converter. Not sure what you meen by "low telephoto zoom lens" but if your looking for a wide angle zoom the 17-40 or 16-35 are great, for a hair more reach check out the 24-70.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'm looking for something good for general photography, with macro for flower and plant photography/ That 17-40 f2.8L is looking pretty good as a wide angle. The 24-70 f2.8l looks sweet, but a pretty pricey.

How do you feel about the ef-s 60mm f2.8 macro?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I'm looking for something good for general photography, with macro for flower and plant photography/ That 17-40 f2.8L is looking pretty good as a wide angle. The 24-70 f2.8l looks sweet, but a pretty pricey.

How do you feel about the ef-s 60mm f2.8 macro?
reactor:

the 17-40L is f/4, not 2.8. the 24-70L is a sweet lens by all accounts, but as you mention it's pricey (1100 or so). i am torn between getting that one, or the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 w/ IS. they are about the same cost, and i have no plans to get a full-frame camera body anytime soon; i already have three lenses which are not compatible anyway (my sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC; tokina DX Pro 12-24 f/4; canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.5 kit lens).

i am looking for a good replacement for the kit lens, as i usually just use my primes for shooting live music; having a good walkaround lens is fairly high on my list.

the macro lens you listed sounds like a winner, but i have no exp w/ macros (further down on my list of stuff to get).

Sep 8, 2004

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
reactor:

the 17-40L is f/4, not 2.8. the 24-70L is a sweet lens by all accounts, but as you mention it's pricey (1100 or so). i am torn between getting that one, or the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 w/ IS. they are about the same cost, and i have no plans to get a full-frame camera body anytime soon; i already have three lenses which are not compatible anyway (my sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC; tokina DX Pro 12-24 f/4; canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.5 kit lens).

i am looking for a good replacement for the kit lens, as i usually just use my primes for shooting live music; having a good walkaround lens is fairly high on my list.

the macro lens you listed sounds like a winner, but i have no exp w/ macros (further down on my list of stuff to get).

I do a lot of varied stuff. I like to take event pictures at mountain bike events. I like to hike and take nature photos, both landscape and flowers, but haven't been doing a lot of it lately. I'm just getting restarted after about 15 years off from photography, so I need almost everything. I've also got a fair amount of hand shake, which makes the IS lenses attractive, although the IS feature is generally costing about as much as a upgrade from f/4 to f2.8.

I've got a good outdoor zoom lens, but I need a general purpose zoom lens. Right now I'm starting to think of getting the 24-105 f/4L IS USM and/or the 17-40 F4/L USM ultra wide. If I get them both, I can come in at about $1500 after rebates. I like the internally focusing lenses, I'm in dust a fair amount (Arizona). The 24-70 f2.8/l still looks good. Very good, and I need an indoor capable lens.

The thing I don't like about the ef-s 17-55 f2.8 is that it's an extending lens, the front group moves 27mm, and I've heard this increases the chance of dust getting into the lens. I don't have any experience with this happening, but it scares me a little. On the plus side canon claims the image quality is on par with the L series lenses, and the weight is fairly low, and the f2.8 is great. If I were less worried about dust it would be a shoe-in.

I don't do a lot of indoor photography, and I think the 17-40 or 24-70 would probably be just fine for that. I'm also planning a grand canyon rim to rim trip next year and want some good lenses for the trip. oh well, that's my ramble.

Edit: I'm really confused now. Canon says the ef-s 17-55 is usm is an internal focus lens.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've heard the 17-55 is a dust magnet as well, so you may be better off getting a sealed L lens.

if you don't do a lot of indoor photography, f/4 is probably sufficient for yr needs. the twin combo of 17-40 and 25-105 sounds like a great one for you.

ps - just curious as to the thumbs down icon in yr post header? you don't wanna hear my advice? ;)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I just placed my order, a 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, and a speedlite 580 flash. This means I'll have a decent indoor lens(speed wise) and cover a range from 24-200mm with two lenses. I think the 24-70 will end up being the walking around lens.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Nice choice, as an added plus the 24-70 has a "macro" focus, it's not true macro, but for flowers and such it works well.

Thanks. At this point flowers is about as macro as I need. Eventually I want to get a couple of nice primes and a true macro, and a nicer body. The way I see it nice bodies are going to be coming down in price, while lenses don't lose a lot of value. Having a decent bbody and good lenses will let me enjoy photography as I advance, but a great body and crappy lenses would really limit what I could do. So I'm getting the nice lenses first.