Quantcast

Another "New bike" thread....

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all... my first post! This seems like a rockin new board... I think I'll stay around. I've got a question that I'm sure it getting very, very tiresome for all of you, but please read on and give advice..... Thanks!

I've been into the sport about a year and about a month ago my wally-world Mongoose was stolen (it was a gift... I didn't choose it). Although I feel terrible that it was stolen (after all, it got me hooked on mtbing :D) I now have the opportunity to buy a bike I have researched and shelled out my own moolah.

I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs... I ride mainly twisty singletrack and I need a bike that is still a decent entry/medium level bike, but one that will last me as my skills grow. I'm not afraid to try new technical stuff, so it will get beat up a bit as I try and fail! I also need something in the $500 range, give or take a 50 bucks.
I ask for your opinions on the bikes I am researching below. They are in order of my favorites. Opinions? Positives negative, rumours, anything?

- 02 Gary Fisher Tassajara (my fav so far)
- 01/02 Giant Iguana (a close second)
- 02 Raleigh M80 (third place)
- 02 Kona Fire mountain
- Specialized HRPro

I've heard a rumor that Giant's frames aren't as good, but don't they make frames for a lot of different bike manufacturers? Also....the Iguana has the best component group out of all of these bikes, from what I can see.

I like the Raleigh, but the downside is it would be purchased from Sun and Ski Sports and not my LBS. Anyway, sorry for the long email and I appreciate any and all comments.

See you on the trails....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry, but I don't think many of us will be familiar with these particular models. We're all high end snobs. :D Soon enough, you will join our elitist ranks...

Flipper

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Southern Ontario
New bikes are great, but you might want to look into a used bike to get the most out of your money. Sorry I don't have any experience with those models. If you get to test ride all those bikes make sure you buy the one that fits you the best. Components can be easily changed upgraded when they break. The frame, fork and wheels will make the biggest difference in your ride and are the most expensive parts to switch, so look for quality in those areas. It seems every lower priced bike comes with a rear derailleur what is a couple of component levels higher than the rest of the drive train, don't be fooled by that. I hope that helps.

R

RideMonkey

I second the used bike idea. You could get something really nice used. Those models you list won't hold up to a lot of off-road pounding.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Originally posted by Toshi
Sorry, but I don't think many of us will be familiar with these particular models. We're all high end snobs. :D Soon enough, you will join our elitist ranks...
How much is considered a high-end bike? I really, really need to be part of your elitist ranks! :D

BTW.. thanks for the input. I'll research some used bikes.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Depends on what you are looking for...

I think you could pick up a good, NEW, durable and relativily high end XC bike for 1500$ US.

I must be a snob ;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by RideMonkey
I second the used bike idea. You could get something really nice used. Those models you list won't hold up to a lot of off-road pounding.

I'll agree and offer some more advice...
Go for the frame rather than the parts.
Then, as you break them, upgrade the parts and you will be left w/ a great frame and great parts.
If you go the other route...
As you break things, and you spend the same amount of $$ replacing, you will STILL have a ****ty-arse frame w/ great parts.

anyone else?

Oh... and welcome to the board!!!

ReardenMtl

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
StaMonMts
Originally posted by -BB-

I'll agree and offer some more advice...
Go for the frame rather than the parts.
Then, as you break them, upgrade the parts and you will be left w/ a great frame and great parts.

Oh... and welcome to the board!!!
I'd agree with going with a good frame. I started out with a decent hardtail frame (Trek 930) with okay parts four years ago, and have been upgrading over time. I'm about ready to plop down a couple G for a new bike, though. Still love my ride, but I'm jonesing for an FS rig.

However, if you've just got that itch to buy something new, I'd say save up a little longer and get something like PGKelly's Fisher. I don't see many of them out here (I live in Giant's backyard), though. I've met lots of people out here who swear by their Giants, and the lbs guy told me once that Giant does make some frames for Specialized.

Oh, and welcome to the board:)