Quantcast

Another newbie question

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
I've been checking out these forums for a while now and I keep seeing bikes with either foam or something else wire tied to this part of the bike. The sample I'm showing here appears to have electrical tape. What is the reason for doing this?

Attachments

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I hate using electrical tape because it always leaves that nasty adhesive on the frame and its a pain to get off. You can buy a stretchy guard for it or you can use like an old tube and zip-tie it on or use a piece of an old tire and zip-tie it on.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Like TreeSaw said, the chain will scratch up the paint on the chainstay (metal tubing that run parallel to the ground at the back of the bike).

In some situations, the chain will not only damage the paint, but it will damage the metal frame tubing as well - this is especially pronounced in full suspension bikes where you have a lot of movement in the rear end.

This stuff works great:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=35067

OR you could try something by a company called Lizard Skins:

http://lizardskins.com/products/?type=mountain&product_line=chainstays&PHPSESSID=e66d071528df582f7e0e37f96552a6ad

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
Thanks SKC. I'm in the Woodbridge area. Do you have a favorite LBS you could recommend? I've heard great things about Bike 'N Gear in Somerville and Andy's in Linden.

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
That is to protect that part of the bike from chain slap so the chain doesn't chip the paint when you are riding your bike on rocky or bumpy terrain.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
hey man... they're called chainstay protectors and they do exactly what everyone else says. they come in various materials, kevelar + neoprene are the most common.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thanks guys.
I think this thread can be closed. My question keeps getting re-answered. :)

if your embarrassed just EDIT then delete. i do it all the time!:busted:

b/c that was one heck of a newbie question! LOL

MrB

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Central NJ
i'm not embarrased at all. I just thought it odd that the same answers keep being posted over and over again.
thanks.