Quantcast

another reason ,Why I don't like pre-made wheels !

splat

Nam I am
I bought another road bike last december , and when I bought from the guy ( from another forum) he had said the wheels were very new and had really only been used on the trainer. I belived him the Braking surfaces had barely been touched. So I have put may 300 Miles on these wheel when Yesterday I was doing a Metric century , and at about mile 40 I notice my back end is awfully loose. and In my lowest gear I have a Click . I stopat a red light and take a quick look and the spokes have no practially no tension , the clicking I am hearing is a spoke brushin the rear derailer . so I get home, take the wheel off throw it on the truing stand , wow is it out of true and a couple of spokes are so loose I can easily turn the nipples by hand. so I re-tension, re-tru, re-dish the wheel and now it feels soooooo much better!

I am now getting to the point I don't trust any wheel unless I built it !

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I've had even handbuilt wheels lose tension after the first couple rides or so. Not really a big deal as long as you watch them the first couple rides and retension them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have become very anal about my wheels lately. I kept having problems with all my not handbuilt wheels breaking spokes. I got a spoke tensiometer and went through all my wheels. Before long rides I like to throw the tensiometer on my wheels and check everything out. I have confidence in my wheels now but I will still find screwed up spokes that have gotten stretched from sticks getting caught in the wheel. I put a mark on spokes that I have problems with and if I have a problem with it more than once it gets replaced. I have been going on a lot of epic 40+ mile MTB rides lately and can not affort to get stranded in the middle of nowhere because of a trashed wheel.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Westy
I have become very anal about my wheels lately. I kept having problems with all my not handbuilt wheels breaking spokes. I got a spoke tensiometer and went through all my wheels. Before long rides I like to throw the tensiometer on my wheels and check everything out. I have confidence in my wheels now but I will still find screwed up spokes that have gotten stretched from sticks getting caught in the wheel. I put a mark on spokes that I have problems with and if I have a problem with it more than once it gets replaced. I have been going on a lot of epic 40+ mile MTB rides lately and can not affort to get stranded in the middle of nowhere because of a trashed wheel.
Where do you get one of those thingies?

J

JRB

Originally posted by splat
I bought another road bike last december , and when I bought from the guy ( from another forum) he had said the wheels were very new and had really only been used on the trainer. I belived him the Braking surfaces had barely been touched. So I have put may 300 Miles on these wheel when Yesterday I was doing a Metric century , and at about mile 40 I notice my back end is awfully loose. and In my lowest gear I have a Click . I stopat a red light and take a quick look and the spokes have no practially no tension , the clicking I am hearing is a spoke brushin the rear derailer . so I get home, take the wheel off throw it on the truing stand , wow is it out of true and a couple of spokes are so loose I can easily turn the nipples by hand. so I re-tension, re-tru, re-dish the wheel and now it feels soooooo much better!

I am now getting to the point I don't trust any wheel unless I built it !
Roadie :eviltongu

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hmm so i guess my finger tensioning and randomn tightening is prolly bad then...some day i will have to learn how to build wheels...(shake fist):angry:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by allsk8sno
hmm so i guess my finger tensioning and randomn tightening is prolly bad then...some day i will have to learn how to build wheels...(shake fist):angry:
I don't need no steekin' tensiometer.....jdcamb

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Damn True
I have very little trust for machine built wheels.
how did the wheels on yr giant hold up? mine haev been remarkably trouble-free, and i didn't retension them. in fact, i've done nothing to them.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by narlus
how did the wheels on yr giant hold up? mine haev been remarkably trouble-free, and i didn't retension them. in fact, i've done nothing to them.
The stock wheels?
Like crap.

a) I think the material itself has a rockwell rating just slightly higher than warm butter.
b) They wouldn't stay true worth a darn until I had them rebuilt at my LBS.
c) Even after the rebuild they flat spotted like crazy. Just too soft.

The 321's I had built at my LBS have been bullet-proof.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Damn True
The stock wheels?
Like crap.

a) I think the material itself has a rockwell rating just slightly higher than warm butter.
b) They wouldn't stay true worth a darn until I had them rebuilt at my LBS.
c) Even after the rebuild they flat spotted like crazy. Just too soft.

The 321's I had built at my LBS have been bullet-proof.
oh, the Comp had different wheels than the Team, right? my team wheels (ringle hubs, 321 rims) have been bombproof!