Quantcast

Another small brewery dies...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
This came through a local list this morning:

...I believe that it is no secret that the company [Old Dominion Brewing] is being sold to Coastal
Beverage, a joint venture between Anheuser-Busch and Fordham Brewing (49/51).
The deal is expected to close at the end of February.
The Dominion staff was introduced to the VP of Brewing Ops and VP of Sales for
the first time this afternoon. Within moments of their arrival, I was informed that I
would not be retained after the changeover and, for that matter, I may as well pack
up immediately. Shortly afterward, our head brewer Dave Hennessey was fired, along
with brewer Greg Spradlin. Between the three of us, we had 42 years of service with Old
Dominion and a collective record of loyalty, sacrifice, and hard work...

Typical in the business world, but this after assuring everyone that they were interested in OD because OD was a successful brand not because they wanted to clean house and start over. :disgust1:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The 'fault', if there is any, lies with the owners who sold the brand. Firing the brewers won't have any effect on the product either, it isnt rocket science. There are scores of beers which have maintained their quality throughout time at the hands of different brewers. Sucks for the people involved though.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The 'fault', if there is any, lies with the owners who sold the brand.
I don't think anyone's at fault, it's just $hitty. I've been following this for a while in the industry publications. Through all the negotiations the employees were assured that there would be very little if any changes made...that they simply wanted to add another successful line of beers to their portfolio.

Firing the brewers won't have any effect on the product either, it isnt rocket science.
It's not exactly instant cocoa either. A skilled brewer will be able to do it, but there's always an acclimation period as he gets used to the new house and recipes. A majority of drinkers won't notice a thing.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
AB actually has great brewers. They just make a crappy product...but they make tons of it consistently, which is not easy to do.
Word. Anyone can brew, but brewing a consistent product batch after batch is tough. Especially at the scale they're doing it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Thats a good point silver, I never thought of that. In anycase thier products all taste foul to me, but they are very consistent in their repulsiveness.