Quantcast

Another Strava thread

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Lulz. /\

Before Strava, I was a stand up citizen and a pillar of the community.
Now, I purposely try to get hurt for no reason, build illegal trails named Jolly Rogers, dump my trashcan at all trail heads, and put Bernie Sanders and Coexist stickers all over my truck. Damn you strava!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Strava doesn't kill trail, people kill trails.

Too many people, and not having directional trails are the problem

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Welcome to the internet. Strava is really no different in screwing trails from GoPro plus Youtube or Pinkbike photo locations of your local secret trailz. This has been happening for 15+ years in whatever form.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Seriously just turn the damn thing off and enjoy mountain biking. I agree it's a good tool but it has made some halfway decent ppl turn into real idiots lately. If you live in a place with DL trails, it makes you a complete super idiot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Huh, give people technology that makes it easier for them to act like douches and they act more like douches. Who woulda thought...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Seriously just turn the damn thing off and enjoy mountain biking. I agree it's a good tool but it has made some halfway decent ppl turn into real idiots lately. If you live in a place with DL trails, it makes you a complete super idiot.
I never understood the hassle of strava. Half the time I forget to turn it on because I'm hyped to be riding even if it's only my roadbike to work, the other half it pisses me off how long it takes to find gps connection. Jesus I'm 29 and people make me feel old. Why the need to show off everything (while most of it is faked). I'm waiting for a poop tracker. At least the startup people are happy with their overinflated company valuations (until they won't be when their stocks will fail harder than a kid hucking stairs on a huffy)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'll admit that I use Strava and I enjoy it. I turn it on while putting on my shoes or whatever and turn it off when I get back to the car. I'm not one of those guys to check my phone during the ride. Well, I'll whip out my phone if I find a sweet water funnel and want to toss some sticks in it or something, but for nothing else.

I think it is pretty interesting to browse some of my personal stats and numbers on Strava, but I'm a nerd so maybe I'm not normal.

I can see where other people have a problem with it. I also don't ride on illegal trails, as there really aren't any "private" areas around here.

The assholes on the trails that happen to use Strava and go for the KOMs would be assholes even without it. They're the tools that don't say hello back, or force you off the trail because they HAVE to clean this climb or rail a turn.

Has anyone tried to draw a huge penis in a parking lot with Strava? Its more difficult than it sounds...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorry... Being the ludite of the forum I'm struggling to see what everyone's getting their knickers in a twist about.

Have I got this right?
There's a busy "shared" trail somewhere in America I'm never likely to ever ride?
People are riding their bicycles at incredible speeds of almost 20mph on this trail?
Other local trail users are pissed at this?
These other trail users have complained?
There's internet based evidence of the incredible speeds these bicycle people are reaching?
This evidence has been used to prove the other users point and ban the incredibly fast trail users as they are using the trail irresponsibly?

I only have one question...

No... Wait... actually... now I think about it rationally. I don't!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Woul
Why is that entire trail in a grassy field when there's clearly woods right next to it?
would be much harder to fly my drone carrying my cell phone running strava though a bunch of tight trees.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Why is that entire trail in a grassy field when there's clearly woods right next to it?
there are ton of trails in the woods that's called the skills area there is a pump track some wooden skinnies some tractor tires buried half in the dirt he was on the slalom course with 5-6 berms and a couple jumps but the guy just went straight down the middle

Screenshot_2016-05-09-20-43-10.png