Quantcast

Another Stupid Question - Changing the bolt in the hub possible?

Old_Dude

Monkey
These are more SS conversion related questions.

I'd like to use a bolt-on method to attach my rear wheel instead of using quick-release squewers.

I guess I can't just take out the short threaded bolt inside the hub & replace it with a longer one? This seems like a very stupid question - but hey, I've been surprised before, so I'm asking.

My reasoning -->> again, considering the SS conversion, I have diagonal dropouts (closer to horizontal than vertical, thank goodness) and I think the bolt-on rear wheel will be a stronger mount vs. using quick release squewers.

And finally, is there any way to block the gap between the rear axle position and the normal axle position in the dropout? Something to take up this space? (assuming there will most likely be a space) I thought of milling some 6061 chain tensioners and having them installed on either side of the dropouts - similar to some BMX & MX chain tensioners. I love solving problems like this - must be a sign of insanity.

Thanks,

OD

Just go get a solid axle for your hub. Take the old one, and the bike shop should give you one that's a little longer so you can thread nuts on the ends. You may be able to find some of those nifty internally threaded axles so you can use hex socket bolts, but the garden variety solid axle is the cost effective way to go.

Just out of curiousity, and don't be offended, but if you can mill your own chain tensioners, how come you can't figure out converting your hub?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
If your LBS can't get the axle for you, you can get one at www.sheldonbrown.com/harris

I don't recommend a QR for your SS. With the kind of torque you'll be generating on climbs, you WILL move the rear wheel no matter what type of QR you use.

Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Just buy some Salsa skewers, You wont be disapointed.
I have some Salsa qrs on my road bike with horizontal dropouts, and they slip unless I torque them down way too tight. The problem is with the stainless steel Henry James dropouts and the smooth alloy facing on the qr. I wouldn't recomend them for anything but a vertical dropout. On a single speed nutted axles are the way to go.

Originally posted by Old_Dude

I've never taken one apart, or seen a diagram of the internals (looked in the Zinn book).

Here's one of two ideas (since the dropout is steel - see attached photo)
I don't think that one will work. If you put it on the outside of the dropout, you won't be able to tighten the nut down over it, and if you put it on the inside, it will want to sit between the locknut and the dropout. The only way it will work is if you drill and tap the dropout to accept the screw going through it. Many older road bikes were made this way, and it proved to be more trouble that its worth.

I wouldn't worry about putting anything in the dropouts, just align the wheel and tighten it down. The nuts will hold everything in place.

Originally posted by edoz
I wouldn't worry about putting anything in the dropouts, just align the wheel and tighten it down. The nuts will hold everything in place.
Yup,you'll be OK with this idea.My Specialized frame has exactly the same dropouts you have Old_Dude.I run a DMR ss rear hub with bolt on axle and it has never moved.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Chain tensioners are not worth the bother especially if you are going to be making them your self.

You may be fine with a qr. Shimano are good. I have no problem with qr on my single speed. I weigh 120lbs which helps I guess.

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
I have the same problem, I have horizontal drop outs and only have a quick release skwers is there a bolt on skewer that goes in the hub like a qr skewer?