Quantcast

Another Win in Richmond

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Conrad Stoltz and Dan Hugo took the top 2 spots at the 2011 XTERRA East Championships in Richmond Virginia and it appears that Conrad is getting faster and stronger each year. Melanie McQuaid had a tough battle with Shonny Vanlandingham and took home the silver medal. </p><p>
</p><p>
Conrad had a great swim and so did Dan and the two South Africans emerged from the James River right behind swim ace Craig Evans. Once on his Specialized Epic 29er Conrad quickly jumped to a 2-minute lead over Dan on the fast 32k trails in the Richmond park system. The two of them though had dropped all other competitors by an even bigger margin and it became quite clear that the winner would be from South Africa and riding a Specialized. </p><p>
</p><p>
Conrad though proved to be too strong and held the lead over Dan to the finish line and with it earned his 41st XTERRA title in a span that goes back to 2001. Dan finished second 2 minutes later and French Pro Nicolas Lebrun crossed the line in third place almost 8 minutes behind Conrad.</p><p>
</p><p>
“This race was my 10 year anniversary of XTERRA Richmond - the 1st XTERRA I ever did. I fell in love with the sport right away and have been blessed with an amazing career ever since,” said Conrad. “We love the downtown Richmond course - although it has become smoother, more buffed and faster than in the past, it is still a huge treat racing through the woods in the middle of the city.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Melanie McQuaid led Shonny Vanlandingham out of the water by about 2 minutes and took off to take on the exciting trails of the James River Park System. In 2009 the two were also battling for the title in Richmond with Melanie taking the top spot, but this time Shonny was faster and managed to finally take the title that had eluded her now for so long. Melanie though took a very fine second place.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Another tough hot race. I am stoked with my performance after this week facing tough ShonnyV,” said Melanie.</p><p>
</p><p>
</p><p>
XTERRA East Championship </p><p>
Richmond, VA / June 12, 2011</p><p>
1k swim / 32k bike / 11k run</p><p>
</p><p>
Men</p><p>
</p><p>
1. Conrad Stoltz (RSA) 2:20:21</p><p>
2. Dan Hugo (RSA) 2:22:37</p><p>
3. Nicolas Lebrun (FRA) 2:28:02</p><p>
4. Branden Rakita (USA) 2:28:10</p><p>