Quantcast

Anti-Gay Legislation: AKA Dance You Puppets

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So there has been a recent buzz with redneck states passing pretty stupid laws limiting rights to LGBT types. A lot of noise is being made on both sides. Just like with Anti-Gay marriage laws these are likely to go through the courts and be overturned. If they get to the Supreme Court, overturning essentially would mandate equal rights to become law. So in the long term this is good for those seeking LGBT rights.

So why are these rednecks doing this?

They do the same stupid shit every major election cycle. Create a social controversy to motivate the old angry racist religious base to get to the voting booth and distract them from real issues. Nothing more.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
even lesbians get bitter over being dumped by a girl who wants to go out with a girl who wants to be a guy....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
real issues....making promise you have intention of keeping.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They do the same stupid shit every major election cycle. Create a social controversy to motivate the old angry racist religious base to get to the voting booth and distract them from real issues. Nothing more.

Yes.

It's the same tactic pioneered by jesus reagan christ with jerry falwell and all the abortion bullshit. Nothing motivates old scared white people like good ole fashioned religious bullshit.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yawn...nothing to see here folks. Move along, its just bidness as usual...
Not that easy if you live in NC. There's been a ton of backlash against the bill and McCrory from major corporations and employers. It's already cost hundreds of jobs as manufacturers are now pulling the plug on expanding into the state.

Also, McCrory and his cronies voted to not renew tax incentives for the film industry which resulted in hundreds of millions of lost revenue.

The Republitards that run this state blather on an on about how bad the economy is and how we need more jobs. But the sad reality is that they care more about their religion, hate, and their careers than anything else.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The bitch is that it is the common worker who suffers...not the fat cat assholes who cause these problems.
Yeah, no kidding, but try tell that the common worker who votes Republican. The GOP and it's propaganda machine, Fox, have done a great job at convincing them that it's the Liberals who are not acting in their best interest. It's both sad and frustrating to see the lies and influence and watch as middle and lower class conservatives continue to vote for politicians who profit from them not represent them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, no kidding, but try tell that the common worker who votes Republican. The GOP and it's propaganda machine, Fox, have done a great job at convincing them that it's the Liberals who are not acting in their best interest. It's both sad and frustrating to see the lies and influence and watch as middle and lower class conservatives continue to vote for politicians who profit from them not represent them.
Good example of this is the airline pilots in the associated forums that I browse. They are so pissed off about their low pay and how it hasn't gone up with inflation. There are the regional carriers that pay McDonalds wages and then the LLC national airlines that have undercut the majors, bringing pay down significantly. These guys are all pissed off, but they are all very anti-union, usually ex-military or from well-to-do families that are very republican, and in turn, anti-labor. So it's funny to see how pissed they are at "the man" and then how steadfast republican and conservative they are at every turn. They don't realize they keep voting for the people that allow business to take them for a ride.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good example of this is the airline pilots in the associated forums that I browse. They are so pissed off about their low pay and how it hasn't gone up with inflation. There are the regional carriers that pay McDonalds wages and then the LLC national airlines that have undercut the majors, bringing pay down significantly. These guys are all pissed off, but they are all very anti-union, usually ex-military or from well-to-do families that are very republican, and in turn, anti-labor. So it's funny to see how pissed they are at "the man" and then how steadfast republican and conservative they are at every turn. They don't realize they keep voting for the people that allow business to take them for a ride.
Mind blowing isn't it? I haven't seen a payscale since we got rid of the Brasilla, but what we used to pay our first year FO's is now against the law in some states. OO has done an amazing job in convincing it's employees that unions are from teh devil. When we first opened here, we picked up a bunch of folks from AWAC, and somehow every person who'd been a union rep didn't get hired. Yet for some reason, we cant can't keep new mechanics more than 6 months in any city that has another airline, and we'll take anybody with a pilots license that can also fog a mirror. Turn over is killing us, yet pay and benefits can't possibly be the problem.

Also in the vein of right wing morons and airlines: I've found almost half a dozen handguns in cockpits since pilots were allowed to carry.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Americans are bad at math. Most die hard conservatives I know have a very much Us vs Them attitude. Their version of "Us" puts them in the same boat as the Kochs and Vanderbelts, "them" is everyone poorer then them. A basic understanding of statistical distribution would clear that up.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Exactly. Why so many military members are pro GoP escapes me. Who drives us into war more often? Republicans. Who cuts military spending, yet claims to be military lovers? Republicans. Who spends more $$ on the military/industrial complex, yet less on the Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen and Marines? Republicans.

If I was in charge, it would be hookers and blow, all day, every day.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm confused by how poor republicans defend the exact people that are screwing them over as well. One idea I have is I think the republicans have played into the "American Dream" narrative that is embedded in our culture.
I think poor republicans defending rich fuckheads partly stems from the idea that if you hit it big, that you too want to be free from taxes, regulations, etc. Basically that you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want when you're rich. I guess they either don't see that hitting it big will never happen most for them, OR they are trying to uphold this myth of the American Dream, regardless of that fact. Either way it's fucked and sad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looking at it from a strictly financial perspective misses that many of these blowhards really do care more about keeping women from getting abortions or gays getting hitched than from improving their own sorry state.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Whats sad about this is that half of the US gets exactly what it deserves but the other half gets fucked in the asshole.
Im quite amazed that the good half of the country isnt protesting harder and being more agressive about this.
Sure a couple of internet memes and John Stewart are hella funny and spot on, but its all preaching to the choir and not accomplishing a god damn thing.
If anything it pisses repubs off even more and makes them think even less...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Looking at it from a strictly financial perspective misses that many of these blowhards really do care more about keeping women from getting abortions or gays getting hitched than from improving their own sorry state.
Since I live in NC and we are getting hammered in the press as of late, albeit deservedly so, I must point out Prop 8 in CA a few years ago in which millions of dollars were spent to prevent gay marriage. Being in the wedding industry myself, it was glaringly obvious that they care more for their twisted and bigoted "morality" than economic prosperity, when one considers the number of businesses and services connected to the multi-billion dollar industry.

So it's not just this miserable state, it's every where the GOP is. A group blinded by false ideology, fear and doomed to continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately some of us bystanders are getting cot in the cross fire.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
toe jam cancelled their raleigh show....springsteen cancelled a show....waiting for shows i actually have tickets for to start getting cancelled.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
actually no...a combination of trying to read it on my phone and it being a boring read...maybe later..
it is a long read for sure, takes a while to get into the meat of the content, but once you do its worthwhile.

basically it goes into how the post civil war the wealthy southern elites basically used racism to make poor uneducated whites have a (false) sense of superiority over the newly freed slaves. Basically they pandered to feel through a false moral high ground, a tactic they have repeated ad infinum with other groups even today; gays, illegal immigrants, muslims, etc.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
it is a long read for sure, takes a while to get into the meat of the content, but once you do its worthwhile.

basically it goes into how the post civil war the wealthy southern elites basically used racism to make poor uneducated whites have a (false) sense of superiority over the newly freed slaves. Basically they pandered to feel through a false moral high ground, a tactic they have repeated ad infinum with other groups even today; gays, illegal immigrants, muslims, etc.
TL;DR: Demagoguery.

edit: also, I can't read anything about "Trump" without the Drumpfinator chrome extension changing it to "drumpf".. It's still funny when I read lines like this "To understand this dynamic, to see through the eyes of poor and working class whites as they chant, “Drumpf, Drumpf, Drumpf,”. :rofl:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I forget the term: second from last? Second from bottom? As long as they're not the lowest caste...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I forget the term: second from last? Second from bottom? As long as they're not the lowest caste...
Best way not to be the lowest is to repress someone else.

There are a lot of powerful people that benefit from having a sub-class. Not only does it provide a group of people that can be exploited but it also lowers the standards for everyone else in the lower percentage groups. This is why the the right does not wants no meaningful immigration reform. let them come and go as they please and exploit them as an underclass, defer the associated costs to society as a whole. The great puppetmasters then get the legal populace damaged by this the most to be the most vocal supporters of repression.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and thanks to a virginia law suit...this shit will get tossed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Brain remembered phrase I was looking for from yesterday: "last place aversion."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So instead of black men stealing lily white brides it's the gays stealing their husbands? Makes total sense. Vote for Romney and his secret brides!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

TLDR but I did see this chart.

Clearly the fault of gays and immergrants.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Read an article earlier about how much HB2 is already costing the NC economy millions of dollars.

Moar

Thanks Gov. McCrory and the rest of you assholes.

Come election time it will be interesting to see if they start spewing unemployment rates and poor economy bullshit.

Gawd I hope we get this bigoted jackass out of office.