Quantcast

Anti-matter weapons...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another problem is the terribly unruly behavior of positrons whenever physicists try to corral them into a special container. Inside these containers, known as Penning traps, magnetic fields prevent the antiparticles from contacting the material wall of the container -- lest they annihilate on contact. Unfortunately, because like-charged particles repel each other, the positrons push each other apart and quickly squirt out of the trap.

If positrons can't be stored for long periods, they're as useless to the military as an armored personnel carrier without a gas tank. So Edwards is funding investigations of ways to make positrons last longer in storage.
:stupid: containment does seem like it would be very touchy...

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
near El circulo Polar Arctico
it is intriquing though...hopefully some of the research funds can be directed to a better cause than creating antimatter superweapons...yeah right.

everyday applications for antimatter are still a long way off...

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Jesus said:
We're not doomed. It's the "evil doers" who are DOOMED!!!!! :eek:
We're all doomed.

Besides, Lynn is enthusiastic about antimatter because he believes it could propel futuristic space rockets.

"I think," he said, "we need to get off this planet, because I'm afraid we're going to destroy it."
:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Interesting technology, i was talking to a pal about the ridiculous call for people to defend themselves from bioligical terrorism by having duct tape and plastic tarps handy to effectively seal your house. I had forgotten about this and ignored it like many other people, but he told me that it actually makes a great idea for making body bags for the proper authorities to come in after your dead and seal up your body to burn in a designated pile. Haha great conversation.
Welp anyways i suppose this new anti-matter weapon would make this kind of clean up and disease containment unnecessary.

Besides, Lynn is enthusiastic about antimatter because he believes it could propel futuristic space rockets..

"I think," he said, "we need to get off this planet, because I'm afraid we're going to destroy it."
interesting that this outlook is becoming more and more of a realistic one.