Quantcast

Anti-War Protest at the Grammy's

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
there was a lot of talk about how on a live show it would be an opportunity for musicians to speak out against the war, and the producers were downright scared.
actually, it turned out that the people they were worried about (simon and garfunkel, cheryll crow, coldplay, james taylor, bruce springsteen, etc) didn't do much, and the only one's who got any messages out were avril lavigne(sorta), fred durst, bonnie rait, and cheryll crow.
the thing is, now that it seems like they're going to censor political dissidence on television, what's next?
this thing is going to blow up in the U.S. government's face if they go to war with Iraq, it's going to be another Vietnam, and i hope more people get pissed.

ben.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by scofflaw23
this thing is going to blow up in the U.S. government's face if they go to war with Iraq, it's going to be another Vietnam, and i hope more people get pissed.

ben.

I think Iraq II is going to be alot like Iraq I.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
well, protests against the Gulf War usually numbered about 50 people, where as now, they are drawing millions of people around the world to speak out. this won't going to be anything like the Gulf War.

ben.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...horse$hit.

And besides the impressionable, who really cares what some dumba$$ dropout musician has to say about it?

Fred Durst...FRED DURST! Thank God that snotty little punk bi+ch doesn't run the country! He can't see beyond his own phallus much less beyond today.

Let the musicians make music and our representatives make policy. Would you go to Fred Durst for a heart transplant or to detail your car???:confused:

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
well, protests against the Gulf War usually numbered about 50 people, where as now, they are drawing millions of people around the world to speak out. this won't going to be anything like the Gulf War.

ben.
I thought you meant the war itself. I suppose their will be more protesting.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I thought you meant the war itself. I suppose their will be more protesting.
well, i think that if there is a war, it won't be anything like the Gulf War, for many reasons that have been outlined pretty well in other threads.

ben.

P.S. i'm not going to respond beyond this P.S. to anyone who feels the need to be a smartass and push their own political agenda in my thread. i hope you get really red in the face.
oh and as for personal attacks on my signature, you're just making fun of yourself. the origin of that line in the sig. is a label i was given by another conservative know-it-all on this board.

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
well, protests against the Gulf War usually numbered about 50 people, where as now, they are drawing millions of people around the world to speak out.

Millions, well that's a good start. The final episode of joe millionaire had them beat by about 20 million peeps. :D :p

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
well, i think that if there is a war, it won't be anything like the Gulf War, for many reasons that have been outlined pretty well in other threads.

ben.
How is it going to be different? They didn't last more tha a couple of weeks at the height of their power, not only that they gave themselves upp in droves. Now their army is poorly equipped and mostly made up of non-volunteers.

Unless they make this an inter-urban geurilla style conflict, how is it going to be so much tougher for us?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...horse$hit.

And besides the impressionable, who really cares what some dumba$$ dropout musician has to say about it?

Fred Durst...FRED DURST! Thank God that snotty little punk bi+ch doesn't run the country! He can't see beyond his own phallus much less beyond today.

Let the musicians make music and our representatives make policy. Would you go to Fred Durst for a heart transplant or to detail your car???:confused:
well said. now i'm officially not buying -or burning:devil: - any of their music. might as well be a bunch of "jane fonda's" for all i care.

Weyrwoman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2003
Monterey, CA
What about the real issue here? How are we going to keep Sadam from further harming his own people, and how is the U.S. going to get him out of power (and disarm him) without harming the Iraqi people? Bush senior really screwed up when he told the Iraqi people in 1991 to stand up against Sadam, and then the U.S. and allies backed out while the innocent people of Iraq were slaughtered and fled. We owe them a "debt of honor" as it were.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
this war is going to be longer, more costly and require so much more resources. this time the offenders are gonna try and find the needles in the haystacks. more airstrikes and more use of ground troops.

urban warfare for sure. automatic 10% casualties... baghdad = five-million people. so, five-hundred-thousand people will lose their lives.

that is, if the rest of the world can stop the US from doing this. its like trying to stop a kid from sucking on a sucker.

i would be all for invading the whole place and putting it under UN peacemaking. the IRAQI people have gone through enough. next time they should give HANS BLIX a pistol so he can shoot one of the three SADDAMs. then shoot the next one. then the last one. problem solved.

i've run out of ideas. sorry to bother y'all.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by goosemagoo

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, protests against the Gulf War usually numbered about 50 people, where as now, they are drawing millions of people around the world to speak out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Millions, well that's a good start. The final episode of joe millionaire had them beat by about 20 million peeps.
It's good to see the people embracing the truly important issues. That's probably a perfect illustration of the reasons why governments can do pretty much as they please. Had Lenin lived to see television he would have realised that religion's days as the opium of the people were soon to be over.

What's the quote that's being bandied about here by both the pro and anti invasion people? 'In order for evil to prosper it is only necessary for good people to do nothing?' I guess if you're a POTUS hell-bent on invading a country TV shows like Joe Millionaire are wonderful things. Maybe Dubya was watching himself.

Of course the real contrast should be between the size of the anti-war marches compared to the pro-war marches. Anyone got any stats on that?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Let the musicians make music and our representatives make policy.
At the same time musicians have just as much of a right to express their opinions as anyone else. It's just that their opinions don't carry any more weight than your average joe (maybe less depending on the issue... rock-star lifestyles tend to skew someone's grip on reality).

Not buying their music because you disagree with them is just silly, if you otherwise like the music... like saying "from now on I'm only talking to people I agree with, seeing movies that make me delusionally happy, and only reading books that affirm my current world-view." How about not buying their music because they beat their girlfriend (Axl Rose, etc. ), cheated on their wife (Billy Joel, etc.), or video-taped themselves having sex with minors (R Kelly, etc.)? That would make sense.

As for musicians getting political... well, it can be done right. Just not by Fred Durst.

See "Bob Dylan" for the handbook.

freightGOD

Monkey
Jan 26, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by goosemagoo
Millions, well that's a good start. The final episode of joe millionaire had them beat by about 20 million peeps. :D :p
yeah, what the feck was going on there?

sheep I tell ya's, freakin sheep....:confused:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
...horse$hit.

I'm not sure I'd go to George W Bush for a heart transplant or to detail my car either....

...people do seem to care what that particular dumba$$ dropout President of the USA has to say though. More's the pity. Maybe they're just impressionable.