Quantcast

Any cyclocross bike recommendations?

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
I was thinking about getting into cross next year to stay in shape -- I am 5'6" on a good day and about 140 Ibs. I race downhill, cross country, short track and do some roadie stuff too -- wanted to complete the circle of cycling. I have heard that the Kona/ Jake the Snake is a good ride...
Let me know.
Thanks,
Kate

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I personally don't like the look of the newer Jakes from Kona. Aluminum CX bikes ride harsh but they are "cheap" and light. For the money the Redline cyclocross bikes aren't bad. If you plan on racing and want a steel frame stay away from the Surly Cross Check because it weighs a ton.

Here is a photo of my Sycip to get you some ideas.

The Redline (looks pretty sweet)

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
jamis nova is a good entry level, steel-105 equipped bike.

Depends what exactly you are looking to incounter with it. If you are just going to race, and be competitive then jake the snack is a good one, and right behind that is redline. Now if you are looking for an all around bike that you can do some winter road riding, and race some then I would go with steel.

I personally have a Kelly Knobby X built up with Campy that I love!! I use it for racing cross, and my winter road bike, so that I'm able to run wider tires/fender set up on it. Also the OX Platinum is a dream in the winter, comfortable and steady.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
The Redlines are cool, also check out FELT and RIDLEY...they make killer frames, both carbon and aluminum

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Special K said:
I was thinking about getting into cross next year to stay in shape -- I am 5'6" on a good day and about 140 Ibs. I race downhill, cross country, short track and do some roadie stuff too -- wanted to complete the circle of cycling. I have heard that the Kona/ Jake the Snake is a good ride...
Let me know.
Thanks,
Kate
I just picked up an unysed 2002 Redline frame & built it myself with 105 parts and some cheap wheels. The frame is nice and light, and the bike rides surprisingly well off road (it's my first cross bike).
Welds and paint are nothing fancy on the redline, but the price is certainly right.

Good luck!

bdee

Chimp
Nov 26, 2004
I've ridden my Redline for 5 years and plan on riding it until it dies. It has seen a lot of use on and off road. The off road riding tends to be of the singletrack, more technical rocky kind. It's held up incredibly well and I barely upgraded a thing except the wheels and cranks (to 105 from RX 100). In fact I'm heading home to ride it right now. :)