Quantcast

Any engineers in here?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Hey guys,
I'm doing a project in ANSYS for an upperlevel undergraduate FEA class on full sus rigs. Unfortunately, my university like to teach a whole lot of theory and not much practice, so i'm a little unfamiliar with FEA codes in general.
I'm looking to find the natural frequencies of some models. Does anyone know where to find some real world, actual natural frequencies so i have some idea of the magnitude i should be looking for?
Any help on applying spring elements and convergence testing would be appreciated as well.
thanks

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I don't know of any bike companies that have this info readily available. However there's a good chance you can find it for some motorcycle chassis, as motorcycle/auto makers routinely use nat frequency as an index for overall chassis stuffness (which is what I assume you're doing...). That'll give you a ballpark, sort of. Obviously, a motorcycle will be stiffer in the absolute, but it's mass is so much greater, the frequencies might be close-ish. Better than nothing...

Last resort, you can DEFINITELY find stats for car chassis, but I don't even want to guess how similar the natural frequencies will be

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
im learnin that stuff right now too. Sounds to be a similar course, except we are dealing in structures, truss members, and heat transfer mainly i believe. If you figure anything cool out about ansys drop me a line man. The code seems really powerful. Sorry im not of any help though.

Brian