Quantcast

An even bigger tantrum?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is no magic engineering behind this thing. The tube thing works like nothing else but a super long link that moves in a certain axis. It works like every other 4bar design. Those A-S and A-R values look fine to me. With some simple analysis (MOST LIKELY - without detailed drawing etc. ofc) it will have a simple flatish/slightly progressive LR combined with an air shock, soo I can't see really see why would it be the next best thing since sliced bread... With that AS curves it will pedal nicely tho, not sure about the pedal kickback values, but the uber high AS values especially at the end of the travel suggest nothing good.
i wonder if there's any relation between this, the higher than usual amount of travel for an enduro bike, and sag that's on the low end of the spectrum....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is no magic engineering behind this thing. The tube thing works like nothing else but a super long link that moves in a certain axis. It works like every other 4bar design. Those A-S and A-R values look fine to me. With some simple analysis (MOST LIKELY - without detailed drawing etc. ofc) it will have a simple flatish/slightly progressive LR combined with an air shock, soo I can't see really see why would it be the next best thing since sliced bread... With that AS curves it will pedal nicely tho, not sure about the pedal kickback values, but the uber high AS values especially at the end of the travel suggest nothing good.
You are forgetting that they managed to do all this with a Mtn Cycles San Andreas swing arm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Let's face it. Most riders are out there to have fun, and they can only afford one bike. If it pedals efficiently, what is the downside to having more travel?—Darrell Voss

Pumping and preloading transitions.

*yawn*

Another bike engineer who thinks mountainbikes are 300lb motorcycles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that;s one thing I haven't figured out. There's a lot of potential for innovation in designs like this just in terms of packaging. Why not stick a shock in that tube and use it for something? why have just an empty tube that needs to be kept clean, lubricated, and in good shape that's just empty?

the spot was another one. there's a carbon link spot bike that uses a carbon plate as a leaf spring...why not go whole hog and use the leaf spring in its entirety and run an empty coil shock? that would be innovative...but instead it just defeats a patent and you're still stuck with a regular shock.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Without skipping a beat, the Square One morphs into the most ground hugging enduro bike I’ve ever thrown a leg over. It’s this characteristic that leads Darrell to claim, “we don’t build suspension systems, we’re building ground tracing devices.”
Where you keep this ground tracing device?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Didn't RC post essentially the same article when da Tantrump came out?

shock yoke longer than the shock

Don't have a horse in this race. Curious like others to see pedal kickback numbers considering the reduced damping claims and what looked like increased AS as the suspension got deeper in travel (viewed on cell phone). This design comes from someone that was involved with Klein (Mantra) so maybe they want to use the rider mass as a significant contributor to the overall suspension system in conjunction with pedaling forces. I'd hope that a system would have reduced damping if AS increased through travel.

Anyway, why go all Euler? Lots of current suspension systems seem to have slenderness ratios that are greater than 2x what that yolk setup have (cough chainstays). Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but I'm just trying to understand where the obvious deficiency is in relation to buckling? Is it related to increased shock bushing or seal wear?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Didn't RC post essentially the same article when da Tantrump came out?
Indeed he did. This and wanktrum are second-comings of RC's bros from the "old school", pre-dating leverage curve graphs!

hmcleay

i-track suspension
Apr 28, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Finally, another suspension design to talk about!

Looks interesting. Based on the AS/AR graph posted in the Pinkbike article, AS increases throughout travel, which is pretty similar to how I design things.

Having the AS value increase with suspension travel (a positive slope) means that the overall wheel rate will increase when pedalling (in proportion with the slope of the AS curve, and how hard you are pedalling). This link explains why. This means that under acceleration, the extra mass on the back wheel is supported appropriately by a stiffer wheel rate, which means the suspension maintains a more constant natural frequency under a variety of pedalling conditions.

The catch with this, is that having so much AS deeper in travel causes the suspension to tug on the cranks when pedalling through the rough stuff. This could be overcome by having a rearward axle path and an idler pulley, but someone else is already onto that ;)

A regular single-pivot design is capable of achieving this type of AS curve too, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't replicate the same kinematics on a much simpler design. Perhaps you might not be able to achieve the same variation throughout the range of gears... perhaps someone can have a play and report back? I don't think that this elaborate design is necessary to dodge any existing single-pivot patents.

I'm not surprised it uses less damping than 'normal', as I'd expect it to pedal fairly well. Although it's hard to understand what "60% less damping than a standard shock" actually means, because damping isn't just one number. I assume they're referring to the compression side only (FEWER SHIMZ!).
FWIW, when I do a Shockwiz tuning session with customers on the Craftworks ENR, it always ends up the LSC is fully open, and HSC is minimal.

For those wanting to model it in Linkage, a sliding link is kinematically equivalent to an infinitely long link between the swingarm and front triangle. It could be modelled as a very long link (VLL™), say a couple of metres long, with one end of the VLL pivoting on the front triangle exactly where the 'male slider' member currently pivots on the front triangle, and the other end of the VLL pivoting on the swingarm member, up high and far forward (or down low and far back), so that the the line of the VLL is perpendicular to the 'male slider link'. Getting this exactly perpendicular is pretty critical to getting accurate results, and it’s quite hard to see the angle of the sliding link.
The short link can be modelled as normal.
Leverage looks like it’ll be moderately progressive throughout travel.

Pumping and preloading transitions.
*yawn*
Another bike engineer who thinks mountainbikes are 300lb motorcycles.
Exactly. If only there was a way to have stiffer wheel rate for vertical rider inputs like pumping/jumping etc, and a softer wheel rate for more rearward terrain impacts like big rocks/roots etc...
Someone should come up with a bike with a rearward axle path! @troy, you should get onto this rearward axle path concept!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Finally, another suspension design to talk about!

Looks interesting. Based on the AS/AR graph posted in the Pinkbike article, AS increases throughout travel, which is pretty similar to how I design things.

Having the AS value increase with suspension travel (a positive slope) means that the overall wheel rate will increase when pedalling (in proportion with the slope of the AS curve, and how hard you are pedalling). This link explains why. This means that under acceleration, the extra mass on the back wheel is supported appropriately by a stiffer wheel rate, which means the suspension maintains a more constant natural frequency under a variety of pedalling conditions.

The catch with this, is that having so much AS deeper in travel causes the suspension to tug on the cranks when pedalling through the rough stuff. This could be overcome by having a rearward axle path and an idler pulley, but someone else is already onto that ;)

A regular single-pivot design is capable of achieving this type of AS curve too, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't replicate the same kinematics on a much simpler design. Perhaps you might not be able to achieve the same variation throughout the range of gears... perhaps someone can have a play and report back? I don't think that this elaborate design is necessary to dodge any existing single-pivot patents.

I'm not surprised it uses less damping than 'normal', as I'd expect it to pedal fairly well. Although it's hard to understand what "60% less damping than a standard shock" actually means, because damping isn't just one number. I assume they're referring to the compression side only (FEWER SHIMZ!).
FWIW, when I do a Shockwiz tuning session with customers on the Craftworks ENR, it always ends up the LSC is fully open, and HSC is minimal.

For those wanting to model it in Linkage, a sliding link is kinematically equivalent to an infinitely long link between the swingarm and front triangle. It could be modelled as a very long link (VLL™), say a couple of metres long, with one end of the VLL pivoting on the front triangle exactly where the 'male slider' member currently pivots on the front triangle, and the other end of the VLL pivoting on the swingarm member, up high and far forward (or down low and far back), so that the the line of the VLL is perpendicular to the 'male slider link'. Getting this exactly perpendicular is pretty critical to getting accurate results, and it’s quite hard to see the angle of the sliding link.
The short link can be modelled as normal.
Leverage looks like it’ll be moderately progressive throughout travel.

Exactly. If only there was a way to have stiffer wheel rate for vertical rider inputs like pumping/jumping etc, and a softer wheel rate for more rearward terrain impacts like big rocks/roots etc...
Someone should come up with a bike with a rearward axle path! @troy, you should get onto this rearward axle path concept!
Haha we talked about it with Troy. I was super tired when I found it but it all seemed to me like a fancy way to do what already exists.

Though I'm still worried that another company releases a 180mm bike and their press release focuses more on pedaling and uphill capability than on downhill traction. I really feel like it's 2005 and we're back to drooling over the VP-Free.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this reminds me of 1997, when manufacturers would come up with wonky ass claims based on limited scientific evidence just because people didn't know any better. "Fully active" vs. "Semi-active" became a thing, and I'm not sure that anybody really knows what defined the two terms. Suspension was not a quantifiable object but a magic, pretend thing made by a guy in a garage with a welder and a miter.

Nowadays (thanks largely to DW) we have the ability to geometrically determine the performance of a frame in silico and have a general idea of how it will perform even before Yan-Ping fires up his welder. This has been working pretty well and we've gotten a lot of bikes without bullshit and with pretty good performance. People even are starting to realize you can get good performance out of a single pivot.

It seems that this has created a void for the bullshit artists and now there is a space for them to craft weird designs that, when quantified, mystically fall outside of the realm of quantifiable performance. Guy says that this design is different because the forces occur in 3d rather than 2d...but that's true for all suspension designs, and we can compare them against one another in the same manner.

This bike could be a great design, and I personally like the swingarm/elevated chainstay design, but the silly bullshit that they're trying to foist just cracks me up.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Anyway, why go all Euler? Lots of current suspension systems seem to have slenderness ratios that are greater than 2x what that yolk setup have (cough chainstays). Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but I'm just trying to understand where the obvious deficiency is in relation to buckling? Is it related to increased shock bushing or seal wear?
Seatstays are fine because they are designed/tested to be put in column loading from the start.

Shocks are not tested (by us anyways) with a yoke on them, much less a yoke that doubles the eye to eye length. Increased bushing/seal/damper body wear is one concern. I worry about this junction being strong enough to resist buckling at bottom out:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Hugh, from the images at bikerumor it seems to me that the sliding mechanism sits right between the lower attachment point on the front triangle and the pivot of the shock yoke on the swingarm. So that angle is relatively clear at top out. When the rear is compressed it changes its angle relative to the front triangle. How can that be modeled correctly?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i wonder if you could stick a can of easy cheese in there so that on every hard compression, a little string of orange squirts out and into your riding buddies' face.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
#scaredforthecorners

I want one just for the headbadge anyway.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Seatstays are fine because they are designed/tested to be put in column loading from the start.

Shocks are not tested (by us anyways) with a yoke on them, much less a yoke that doubles the eye to eye length. Increased bushing/seal/damper body wear is one concern. I worry about this junction being strong enough to resist buckling at bottom out:
Relax, lizard ppl will come up with gazillion new standards in a couple of months, each incompatible with another ofc.

Or they will order some longer shocks from Curnutt :weee:

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
So far I am happy with this one http://www.rockguardz.com/mudguardz/rockguardz-mudguardz-pg450.html
I found a bit long at first sight but it is very effective and doesn't move. Clearence is good too on my Yari with Magic Mary so that it should be good on a 36.
No no no! I have 2 threaded holes in my 36 that a fucking fender should bolt to! Why tease me with that shit and not follow thru!!!

P.S
I have a fender Velcroed on my fork and it works. I'm just want a bolt on.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I just had a idea!

I'll start a "Missing Fender" kickstarter campaign and develop one....

Just 2 requirements, you can't ask me for any detailed info or if it will actually work going downhill.

What do you guys think????

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just had a idea!

I'll start a "Missing Fender" kickstarter campaign and develop one....

Just 2 requirements, you can't ask me for any detailed info or if it will actually work going downhill.

What do you guys think????
Just shut up and take my money for something that doesn't actually exist.