Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I dont think Macca will have their up and running
yup. but it seems now everyone has had time to follow Merc's lead on this "loop hole"
Martin Whitmarsh on Thursday played down reports McLaren is set to follow Mercedes and Lotus' lead by racing a 'double DRS' system this weekend at Spa.

But the Woking based team's boss did not deny McLaren designers are working on the straightline-speed boosting concept.

"We are not announcing when, where and if we are going to be introducing it," he told reporters during sponsor Vodafone's regular media teleconference.

"I think we will see different wing variants, certainly on our car along with a number of visual items as they go through scrutineering later today and hit the track on Friday.

"We will see new bits, but McLaren will not have a double DRS in Belgium," Whitmarsh said from Belgium.
http://www.gptours.com/index.php?command=show&what=news&id=8143

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
See, as a Macca fan I can totally appreciate that, as this is a sign of great management, something they have been lacking for the last couple of seasons. They need to hunker down and figure out how to get what theyve got across the finish line from the excellent qualifying they have been having this year. Dedicating resources to extraction rather than development is a great call in my opinion. Not that McLaren's resources don't run deep, its just something like that can only complicate the fundamentals that they need to sort out. Especially at a track that both drivers love.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Spent last Sunday here:

New Asphalt

Preparations for the race were starting Monday.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
you lucky bastard. the new asphalt and resurfacing was inevitable and almost shut down the track because of prior incidents, particularly in MotoGP racing.
According to our guide they said they were worried it wasn't going to be ready for the race. They finished a week ago and prep for the race started Monday.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
According to our guide they said they were worried it wasn't going to be ready for the race. They finished a week ago and prep for the race started Monday.
sounds like what happened in Korea a few years ago. they finished construction barely a week before their race. im glad they finished at Monza. not having that race would be a be a huge deal imo.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id say Alonso is one of the luckiest people alive. he was 12" away from possibly dying on Sunday.
i also dont think Maldonado will ever learn. he'll be penalized 10 positions at Monza because he jumped the start (though it didnt look like he did,) and for running into Glock. and RoGro suspended for one race for the massive pileup.

and the image that got Hamilton in trouble with the team

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow. thoughts?
McLaren has been saying for weeks now that they are imminent to re-signing Lewis

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.
The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.
"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.
In a statement Mercedes said they "do not comment on speculation".
But they added: "Until we are in a position to confirm our full driver line-up for next season, it is inevitable that there will be speculation around this topic."
A McLaren spokesman said: "We have been told by Lewis Hamilton's management team that the story is untrue.
"Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren [over a new contract] continue."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Meh, Hamilton is overrated. The guy should be a 3-time World Champion. (Wait, 3? Two for sure...)

Instead he's in the same boat as Raikonnen and Button.

I'd love to see it, just for the driver shuffle. Pretend Hamilton moves, who'd be in line for that McClaren seat? Maybe DiResta, if they file a missing persons report and find him? I think they'd want to talk to Perez, but I don't know if that gets him away from Ferrari.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Meh, Hamilton is overrated. The guy should be a 3-time World Champion. Instead he's in the same boat as Raikonnen and Button.

I'd love to see it, just for the driver shuffle. Pretend Hamilton moves, who'd be in line for that McClaren seat? Maybe DiResta, if they file a missing persons report and find him? I think they'd want to talk to Perez, but I don't know if that gets him away from Ferrari.
i agree that of lately he has been overrated. he tends to go for broke an it usually doesnt pan out. im still pissed about the year he took the championship from Massa by 1 point.
the article did mention DiResta but every seat always has 3-5 names attached to it, like Massa's seat.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
wow. thoughts?
McLaren has been saying for weeks now that they are imminent to re-signing Lewis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930
Really hoping this isnt true. Ross Brawn is no slouch, but this would still be a downgrade for him. Call Hamilton overrated, but he still gets the most out of a car, no matter what kind it is or how awful it is. One of the reasons McLaren are so good at developing their cars is because of their two intelligent, highly talented drivers. I agree that the "drive to win" attitude needs to go, but I still feel this is a loss for everyone currently involved if true.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Really hoping this isnt true. Ross Brawn is no slouch, but this would still be a downgrade for him. Call Hamilton overrated, but he still gets the most out of a car, no matter what kind it is or how awful it is. One of the reasons McLaren are so good at developing their cars is because of their two intelligent, highly talented drivers. I agree that the "drive to win" attitude needs to go, but I still feel this is a loss for everyone currently involved if true.
Overrated in that Hamilton is in that second echelon of drivers, with...now that I think about it, probably Kimi and Button, maybe Schumacher just on past reputation. I mean, that second tier is still pretty damn small.

IMO, Alonso and Vettel are a notch above everyone else. Everyone else is more replaceable.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
the article did mention DiResta but every seat always has 3-5 names attached to it, like Massa's seat.
The only reason I can think of that Massa is still there is that Ferrari thought they had such a dog of a car at the beginning of the year there was no sense in paying one guy to race and Massa to GTFO.

I sort of thought of Kimi for McClaren, but I wonder if they are going to want to pony up and pay Lotus for a guy on the downswing of his career. Still, for next year, Kimi's probably a better pick than DiResta.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The only reason I can think of that Massa is still there is that Ferrari thought they had such a dog of a car at the beginning of the year there was no sense in paying one guy to race and Massa to GTFO.

I sort of thought of Kimi for McClaren, but I wonder if they are going to want to pony up and pay Lotus for a guy on the downswing of his career. Still, for next year, Kimi's probably a better pick than DiResta.
im glad they did him the benefit of the doubt, especially with a "bad" car. he hasnt been the same since his near championship winning season but they also had a much better car back then too.
SF did pay Kimi a huge amount to basically gtfo to make way for Alonso so i wouldnt put it past them to make a quick decision on Massa sooner then later.

i wouldnt go as far as to say Kimi is on the downside of his career. he's been pretty damn consistent and is ranked 4th without a win and imo, is one of the top drivers in the field at the moment. i think if Lotus had their DDRS for this next super fast track, you very well might have seen him win there (despite never winning at Monza)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sat next to Massa at dinner last year in Monte Carlo, my friend was freaking out and went up and spoke to him twice.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Sat next to Massa at dinner last year in Monte Carlo, my friend was freaking out and went up and spoke to him twice.
Well now I fell a little bit less cool about sharing a table at a restaurant in spa with a marussia engineer. But it was very awsome to get some insides into the f1 world.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Well then, I think its safe to say things were shaken up pretty good this weekend. Sergio Perez! What a miserable weekend for Red Bull, double DNF and the most blatant, ridiculous, home brewed penalty ever.
If only Jenson's car made it to the end...

Also.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Monza was amazing this year, great to see Massa up to speed again. I guess the bbc guys were right when they said he has massive problems mixing braking and turn-in on the current tyres as this is a track where corner exit is way more important than braking and turn in.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well then, I think its safe to say things were shaken up pretty good this weekend. Sergio Perez! What a miserable weekend for Red Bull, double DNF and the most blatant, ridiculous, home brewed penalty ever.
Yeah, was an interesting race.

Regarding the penalty, I think had the Grosjean thing not happened last week, there would have been nothing, but it looks bad for making Grosjean sit out a race and then let Vettel skate. Compared to last year when the roles were reversed, I know what you mean about it looking homebrewed though.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Surprised karma didn't work more efficiently in this years race considering Alonso pulled that exact same move last year and skated and this:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/alonsos-car-damaged-vettel-clash-123246276.html

Vettel was handed a drive-through penalty for not leaving Alonso a wide enough gap on the outside of the Curva Grande as they battled for position.
Alonso eventually recovered to overtake Vettel a few laps later, but it was only after the race that Ferrari discovered how lucky the Spaniard had been.
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said: "We had a problem with the car and if you see, it has big damage on the left rear and also there was something broken from a mechanical point of view.
"We told him at the end not to go on the kerbs because he could have had a bigger problem. I am pleased that he finished the race."
Although Red Bull and Vettel did not believe that the incident warranted a penalty, Domenicali believes the stewards did the right thing because of the recent rules clarification by the FIA about defensive driving.
"After what happened in Bahrain there was a clarification from race control that the driver in front has to leave space if there is a part of the car that is approaching that is already beside," he explained.
"I heard people ask why last year [Alonso] was not penalised [after a similar incident]. What I can say is that it was a different situation.
"If you look at the slow motion, even if it is not really correct to look at slow motion because they are racing live at 300 km/h, it is totally different and this year it is a different rule."

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they were also warned before Monza that they need to leave at least a car width when someone is passing you.
i also think this years incident was far worse then what happened to Vettel last year.
not too surprised Alonso's car was damaged. Curva Grande is a very fast turn and he was basically off-roading his car...which is 10mm off the ground

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well lucky for the Tifosi his car held together.
i know Monza's podium is always the craziest of the season but i think the Tifosi went even more apesh!t for Alonso yesterday then they did for Schumi in the past, despite him not winning. and he of course played to the crowd like a true Ferrari driver

edit: that video is great. Moldonado should be the one getting the race bans. he is dangerous out there. hell, look what he did at Monza :mad:

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Vettel's interviews pre-race were a bit of a different tone than most of the other drivers, I thought. Everyone else seemed to be on the same page regarding talking points, while Vettel seemed more dismissive of the stewards somehow. Could have just been my imagination though. Anyone else notice that?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Whoa...looking at it like that in slomo you can the exact moment where Alonso pulled away last year, and Vettel just kept coming this year.

I think I have to change my opinion on that...what Vettel did looks much worse to me. And that's ignoring the rule change.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Whoa...looking at it like that in slomo you can the exact moment where Alonso pulled away last year, and Vettel just kept coming this year.

I think I have to change my opinion on that...what Vettel did looks much worse to me. And that's ignoring the rule change.
Me too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Finally got to watch the race on DVR last night. Funny how the redbull cars kept breaking.. ROFL!