Quantcast

Any good riding (road or dirt) in Scottsdale, AZ?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The family is thinking about moving somewhere with a better job market. Scottsdale in pretty high up on our list...

-- EDITING MY POST after doing some reading --

Seems like there's lots of good mountain biking in the area - hopefully it's not all an hour drive from scottsdale. how's the road riding? Scottsdale is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the town I'm in now - is road riding advisable out there, or will I get killed? Or is it easy to find lower traffic areas that are more roadie friendly?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I haven't lived there for about 6 years, but I honed my mtb skills there in the mid-nineties. I've seen some changes since then, but most of all, there is tons of mtb riding, and the road scene is good.

Also, you're only 2.5-4 hours from two major ski mountains, and an hour and a half from Tucson which has an 11,000 foot mountain with a 29 mile road climb up for 9000 feet total(Tucson's at 2000'), and trails strewn all around that valley as well. Flagstaff is 2.5 hours away with great summer riding.

Overall, great riding out there. I would love to move back.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Tons of roadies in North Scottsdale/Carefree/Cave Creek/Fort Mcdowell Areas that have bike lanes and people are used to seeing them. Scottsdale road north of Bell/FLW is a nice easy cruise, and then as hard and long as you wanna go up in the mountains.

Saturday I was north of North Scottsdale by Bartlett Lake at Seven Springs, which is (sadly) burned out desert now, but there are some challenging XC trails out there still.

Also, Pima & Dynamite in North Scottsdale has some great desert trails, just yield to the motocycles. As well as some nice rides in the Mcdowells (including the Nova: http://www.teamnova.org/2005NNN/nnn_index.html)