Quantcast

Any good sites on getting into road racing?

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
The road racing bug has bit me, and I am interested in learing more about racing. Like the categories and all that stuff how it works, and different types of road racing, and what not. I'm probably not going to start until next year for a collision with a SUV took it's toll on my knees, still recovering. I read on someone's ebay ad that his Cervelo Soloist Carbon was illegal for Criterium races. I don't know if I will ever race in Criteriums or not, but I do plan to by a Soloist Carbon to start racing on. So if anyone has any info to share, or a good link, lemme know!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
There is Road(one day and stage), Crits, Time Trails(individual and teams) and Track racing. I'm sure there is something else.

The classes start at Catergory 5 then 4, 3, 2, 1 and pro.

When you start, you will be a Cat 5. You earn points to move up to the next Cat.

Edit -- I don't see why that bike would be illegal for crits.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
It's not illegal for crits...I see people on them all the time here.

Also, for upgrading from 5 to 4 you don't need points, you just need to start 10 mass-start races(TT's don't count).

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Under 15 lbs?

Just repeating some apocryphal information about bikes under 15 lbs being illegal... I'm not certain about it.
Unless it's a UCI sanctioned race, there's no need to worry about the 15# minimum. While it may be technically illegal(maybe, I'm not entirely sure) for local races, there aren't any that have bike weigh-ins.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Thanks for the info guys. I am entering my first race Sept. 29th. I got a new bike on the way now too. Well new to me. My Soloist purchase is gonna be on hold for awhile. I have to buy one soon, but it wasn't in my budget right now so I picked up an older Trek 5200, an '02 to be exact. Got it for under $1200 on ebay, so I can't complain. I'll be dropping from a 25lbs bike to probably 17lbs. I imagine it will be a noticeable difference, not to mention the comfort, and stiffness of Carbon!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The road racing bug has bit me, and I am interested in learing more about racing. Like the categories and all that stuff how it works, and different types of road racing, and what not. I'm probably not going to start until next year for a collision with a SUV took it's toll on my knees, still recovering. I read on someone's ebay ad that his Cervelo Soloist Carbon was illegal for Criterium races. I don't know if I will ever race in Criteriums or not, but I do plan to by a Soloist Carbon to start racing on. So if anyone has any info to share, or a good link, lemme know!
Pretty much any bike is legal in the US for mass start race as long as it doesn't have aerobars or the like on it.

The real question is would you want to race a SLC in a crit...... Cat 4-5 crits have to be the most dangerous bike racing in the world. it's not a matter of if you'll be in a crash but when and how often if you do enough of them....