Quantcast

Any hunnies near Alexandria, VA?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I just had an interview with a job in Alexandria, VA. Are there any hunnies in that area that could tell me about the riding out there? I don't know much about that area -- when I was there a while back, I didn't ride, so I didn't look at it with that perspective :) (but now it is a necessity!!!!!!!)

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Close but not exactly. I'm in Richmond, VA. Alexandria is about 1-1/2 hours north of me with traffic. That area has a great biking club, check out

http://www.more-mtb.org/

I haven't done many of the trails up there so I'm not much help with that. I would caution about the amount of traffic up there and also the cost of living. Alexandria is essentially a suburb of DC. For instance a trailhead may be only 15 miles from your workplace/house but in rush hour traffic it could take 45 minutes to get there depending on your location.

Let me know if I can be of any more help with insight into Virginia.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
riding in alexandria isn't great (other than urban) but check out wakefield when you come. fun XC even if it's right next to 495. probably a mud pit at the moment though.

OldTown

Chimp
Feb 15, 2007
everything that surrounds Alexandria is concrete...for sure to the north and west... you got to get past Manassass to find dirt... If you head toward the Fort Belvior area... Telegraph Rd.. there are some trails... and right where 95 hits 495 (Springfield)... SW corner of the loop.. there are trails too... They have the Vans skatepark towards the Potomac area at the mall.
good luck... and if you run into a girl by the name of lauren. ignore her.. she's crazy!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
everything that surrounds Alexandria is concrete...for sure to the north and west... you got to get past Manassass to find dirt... If you head toward the Fort Belvior area... Telegraph Rd.. there are some trails... and right where 95 hits 495 (Springfield)... SW corner of the loop.. there are trails too... They have the Vans skatepark towards the Potomac area at the mall.
good luck... and if you run into a girl by the name of lauren franecki.. ignore her.. she's crazy!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
vans is closed, and there are trails closer than springfield. i deride your information. :pirate2:

OldTown

Chimp
Feb 15, 2007
vans is closed, and there are trails closer than springfield. i deride your information. :pirate2:
Last time I lived out there was end 2003.. so I just delivering what I knew from that point in time... if there are other trails..... SPIT EM OUT then! Hence the point of this thread.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Well I got an official "call back" for the job in Alexandria today. I still don't know how I feel about living up there, but it is an awesome-sounding job (science research for policy and intelligence work). I'll probably be going up there in the next couple of months to give a talk and be wined and dined. I'd be curious to do some exploration.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i lied. springfield is probably the closest big/legal dirt area. not the closest to me (nw dc) but i looked at the map and old town is further south than i recalled.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
OMGF and I moved from Alexandria in December.

Check out Wakefield/ Accotink (mostly Accotink, because Wakefield tends to be a mud pit).

Also... check out Schaeffer Farms in MD (not a long drive, but great for weekend out and abouts). Schaeffer Farms is actually built for riding, and they also allow some hiking, and maybe some horses... so when the hikers whine about "bikers should stay off the trail" .. you can tell them that the trails were built for us.

There's also the Watershed

OOH! Check out Fountainhead

and Difficult Run, maybe

and if you're into road riding, check out the W&OD trail, which connects up to the Custis Trail and the Mount Vernon trail.... and they connect up with other smaller off roady trail systems.

Great Falls park isnt great riding, but it's great for kayaking, rock climbing, and some hiking (you won't feel like you're in the DC area).

PM me or Old Man G Funk, and we'll help you out on where to live and some decent restaurants (all sorts of ethnic food there) and happenings.

Also, considering you are an artist, there are tons of art things to do.. and the Galleries are free (I loved the National Mall).

:)

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Well I got an official "call back" for the job in Alexandria today. I still don't know how I feel about living up there, but it is an awesome-sounding job (science research for policy and intelligence work). I'll probably be going up there in the next couple of months to give a talk and be wined and dined. I'd be curious to do some exploration.
Closest real MTBing is 1 hr W of Alexandria in Elizabeth furnace, part of the George Washington national forest and across the valley From Shenandoah national park. more-mtb.com has directions but only list a few of the trails. 1200-1500' vert differential on any given ride.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
wow...thanks guys. I am getting a little more excited about the riding potential there. We've been spoiled in Austin where we can ride (practically) to a trail head. But getting out of Texas is another thing. It takes about 7 hours in any direction to leave the state or to get to some decent elevation. So the plus side to being up there in VA appears to be that there is a lot of stuff within moderate driving distance.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
So the plus side to being up there in VA appears to be that there is a lot of stuff within moderate driving distance.
Indeed. I live in Alexandria and am generally pleased by the variety of areas accessible within a moderate drive.

Places for after work rides (read close-in enough to get to in the evening during the week):
Wakefield/Accotink/495
Fountainhead - undulating ~4-6 mile mountain bike dedicated trail.

Within about an hour:
Patapsco - more undulating trails but one can piece together some long-ish loops for an all day excursion.
Elizabeth Furnace - see Stiff's post above.
Gambrill State Park/Frederick Watershed - do a search on these names here and discover the joys!
Schaeffer Farms - break out your singlespeed. Good place for those hangover rides when you feel like pedaling and don't want to drive too far but got crushed the night before.

Farther A-field: Alexandria/DC is about 4 hours from the big east coast bike parks...
Diablo
Snowshoe

and within a day's drive to Plattekill and a very long day's drive to Whiteface or Bromont.