Quantcast

Any machinists want a project?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I want to make a shock link. This would be for a current turner rfx. Just the top link. It changes the leverage curve, uses a longer shock and sets up a curve shape that would be better for a coil. I'm only changing the shock mount point so you'd be doing a straight duplication of most of the body of the thing. I just don't have any way to make it. It's a little bit of a bitch because it's offset but I can either give you the stock one or get a mockup done in solidworks. This would basically just be cutting up a chunk of 7075. Mills, lathes and CNC stuff.

I can't get anyone to take the time to do this for me (even though it might actually be a little bit worth it if you want to make a run of them).

But I'm always amazed at some of the resources some of you guys have. Just figured I'd ask.

I pay in cash money and tasteful nude self portraits, the ratio of which, to be decided by you.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Can't tell from the pictures of the frame. Is that link all one piece or two symmetrical pieces?

If that's one piece, that becomes very non-trivial to make. If you can tolerate having a two piece design with an extra bolt holding them in the middle, it makes the machining 10x easier and can be done in 1 or 2 setups, instead of.....a lot more than 2.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The stock one is some high falootin two piece forged and then welded hollow thing. I don't need it to be anywhere near that fancy. And yeah bolted halves are fine if it has to be that way. They are NOT symmetric though. The shock sits off center.

Nick: yeah, for an 8.5 x 2.5

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
all bullshit aside, i wonder how many people that post these Trump memes are going to vote for him

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Send more details of what you want if there are no takers yet.

I can hack up your current link, or model and cut a new one, or cut one from a Solid Works model converted to IGES or STP format.
Full shop in SC running ProE (Creo2).

No 7071 though :crazy:

7075 for one piece or bolted, 6061 if you want it welded.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
all bullshit aside, i wonder how many people that post these Trump memes are going to vote for him
Well, that is my first Trump meme, and I feel like it went over pretty well...
However, I can assure you, in no uncertain terms that I will not be voting for that buffoon!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Send more details of what you want if there are no takers yet.

I can hack up your current link, or model and cut a new one, or cut one from a Solid Works model converted to IGES or STP format.
Full shop in SC running ProE (Creo2).

No 7071 though :crazy:

7075 for one piece or bolted, 6061 if you want it welded.

7075 is what I meant. Typing too fast. I'd prefer to not sacrifice the original. You can't get what I'm after by modifying it anyway.

Incoming

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Well, that is my first Trump meme, and I feel like it went over pretty well...
However, I can assure you, in no uncertain terms that I will not be voting for that buffoon!
I wasn't calling you out specifically, I just had to get it off my chest and you were the last poster of a trump meme lol I dont think i will even vote period. not the time nor place for that here though. sorry, carry on

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just get the monarch Avyed and take it on not-flow trails. Every ride im laughing at what I'm getting away with.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hang on, let's remember where we're at here ... :nerd:

unless you'd like to keep this a secret for now can you explain how you'd change the leverage curve, and why that would make it better for coil use?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hang on, let's remember where we're at here ... :nerd:

unless you'd like to keep this a secret for now can you explain how you'd change the leverage curve, and why that would make it better for coil use?
All you do is move the top shock mount spot. This case is a good one because you can move only that mount point to one spot that both drops the overall ratio and makes a flatter sloped/more linear curve that eliminates that dumb flattening off that seems to be all the rage with bikes 'designed for an air shock'. It also makes it slightly less progressive than a capra (a good thing). Not all layouts are such that you can do that. I tried to do something similar for a nomad but couldn't work it out in a simple way to make it really close to the stock link.

But either way, most of the bikes I've ridden with straightish curves work well with both air and coil springs. I'll still probably run an air shock if I can get this done.

Here's stock and what I want to do.

rfxlev.JPG

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I wasn't calling you out specifically, I just had to get it off my chest and you were the last poster of a trump meme lol I dont think i will even vote period. not the time nor place for that here though. sorry, carry on
Haha No worries! Just wanted to clarify that I'm not part of that shit show!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
you got prints? I used to be very good at autocad, but slowish in solidworks

if you already have a 3d model i can import it into my CAM program and we can go from there

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I want to shock link for make benefit Arreffexstan.... .
Couldn't you just run something like an RC4 with the bottom-out significantly turned up? DT told me that if I was going to run the RC4, be sure to give it a few turns, for the bottom-out protection.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Maybe if nasa had a use for kidwoo pictures, which seems unlikely, and KW had like 437 trillion of them on his computer he could spare, he could get nasa to machine it out of beryllium for him.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Always wanted a beryllium frame for the SABRE system as a souvenier...

Used to have some parts machined from beryllium copper for some calibration systems that shook accelerometers up to 40,000 Hz. Not only super light but stiff enough to have a resonant frequency well above the 40K. Similar aluminium allow parts were only good up to 25kHz.