Quantcast

Any Porsche ppl out there?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hello lounge people, reluctantly I figured I should ask if there are any Porsche monkey's hanging around here. I have wanted a 6spd 911 forever and am thinking about picking one up in the next few weeks. No I didn't go to dental school, this is 9 year old 997 that I came across after years of waiting and searching. Anyone have experience owning a 911? I know about the IMS bearing issues but they generally seem to be great cars to own/drive. Thoughts? Thanks!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
997 would be an excellent car. In the grand scheme of 'performance cars' I think (Porsche, in general) are one of the most reliable ones out there. They are fun as hell to drive. Keep in mind, anything like that is going to be a bit more maintenance, and if you don't do the work yourself, can be what a lot of people consider pricey for a car. But, it's also not a Corolla. As far as I know the motor/trans is pretty sorted in the 997. I'm sure you can double check some of the P car forums for the specific year that you're looking at and see if there's any recalls or issues to be aware of. But other than that, they are awesome. I had a '70 911 for a few years and absolutely loved it. It's definitely a car that if you take care of, will hold it's value quite well.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yeah I should know better after all these years...I think I did the same thing years ago when I got my s4 and regretted every min of it.
Have experience with both. Any P car is 10X better than any Audi IMO. I love Audis too, as far as how they drive, but god damn they are basket cases for the most part.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks man, I tend to agree and have been doing tons of research on the forums. They actually don't seem too bad to do your own regular maintenance on which I would be doing for sure. I don't need to be spending top dollar on an oil change. I do need to mention this would be a second car so it wouldn't see daily usage.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Have experience with both. Any P car is 10X better than any Audi IMO. I love Audis too, as far as how they drive, but god damn they are basket cases for the most part.
Let me clarify, I loved my S4 (a v8) until the timing chain guide on the back of the engine went. That sucked...my regret comment was in reference to the hell this forum rained down on me. :D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Factory suspension is downright amazing. Motor has been relatively unchanged for 50 years, with the exception of going to water cooling after the 993. A lot of parts work cross platform.

I will own another at some point. Really plan on a Turbo. They are insanely fun.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you really are going 997, I don’t think IMS is fixed until the 997.2.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Let me clarify, I loved my S4 (a v8) until the timing chain guide on the back of the engine went. That sucked...my regret comment was in reference to the hell this forum rained down on me. :D
I *almost* as in was at the the dealer, bought a RS4, which I don't think had the exact timing chain problem as the S4. I know that issue basically ruined a lot of people. Especially after warranty, it was at the point the repair was a huge percentage of what the car was worth. Audi just has a long line of major issues, all the way from the A4 to high end cars. Friend of mine bought a brand new A4. Like 2 months out of warranty, it had some major issue with the head/lifters. It was like $6k out of pocket. F that noise.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
If you really are going 997, I don’t think IMS is fixed until the 997.2.
I think that was just a 996 problem, and IIRC there's a fix for it. A lot of them have been done. Or it's an easy negotiation on the price and just getting it done.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It was so much fun. 2.2 flat 4. That car wasn't that fast at all, but it was just fun as hell to drive. I seriously considered putting a 3.2 liter SC motor in it, as it's a super easy swap. Just not all that cheap. I have a buddy that competitively raced vintage cars. Him and his brother built them all themselves. He offered to help me track down a motor and do all the work. The car would have been nasty since I think it weighed about 1800lbs. It was all fiberglass besides the shell. Wife and I had been together for a while and were getting ready to have kids. I put on my big boy pants and realized I probably wouldn't have much time to get to it, work on it or even drive it. Definitely no room for car seats. So I sold that and used the money to buy my plasma table and baby stuff.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
this link tells you all about IMS problems.

Although mainly in the 996, the 997s did have some issues early on. Not a big deal to fix if it hasn’t been already done. Also could be a bargaining tool when purchasing. I wouldn’t be afraid of one that hasn’t had it fixed but wouldn’t dick around to have it done. You can also do water pump and a few other things while it’s being done. Replacement is around 2500. And it’s only in the non-turbo models of 911s and Boxters. They are a super solid car that has been well sorted over the years. My FIL sold his 2010 several years ago and let me tool around in it for a month. He offered me a smoking deal to buy, but I turned it down. Which I now regret. His buddy is selling his 2012 when his new GT arrives and said he’d offer it to me. I think I’ll probably take him up on it. They are so fun to drive and reliable.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've driven 930, 993s & 996 Carreras & a 981 boxster. All owned by friends. I've owned zero, can't afford then. The 997 is a gorgeous car, really the last of the 911s before this new larger platform 991/2 which is more like a (really fucking fast) grand touring car than an purist sports car. I think any 997.1 that are still out there are easy enough to confirm state of the engine.

I believe that a 996 turbo is the diamond in ther rough. Not favored with collectors, but no un fixable issues and a monster engine, and can be found for far less cash than almost anything else in the class.

Is there a link to the car tour looking at?

(911 geek at heart. I want one too)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I for one don’t get it, cool and I wouldn’t turn one down, but at this point I think Porsche would be better off putting a 911 body (panels) on the cayman and call it the “911”. Purists want that amputee-rear seat.