Quantcast

Any thoughts on Jamis road bikes

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'm looking to pick up my first road bike or maybe frame only. Anyone have any thoughts on the Jamis Comet - aluminum frame with carbon seat stays? They are '04 left overs with mostly Ultegra, Ksyrium ?Elites? I think, EA70 bar, and Easton carbon fork. I know that fit is the most important thing but I may not be able to put much time in the saddle to feel it out and I've never had a professional fitting done.

I'll be using the bike for rides about twice a week in the 30-50 mile range and on the trainer when the weather dictates. Road riding for me is only about staying in shape for when I can get to the trails, which just doesn't happen during the week. I've been using my 25lb Loco Moto for these rides all summer with some Hutchinson Mosquito Golds that I wore smooth.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
jamis makes some nice stuff that is packaged very well. honestly wish we could pick them up at the bike shop i work at but can't b/c of another local dealer that stocks them. take it for a test ride and see how you feel on it.

Surly

Chimp
I just bought a Jamis Quest. Never having ridden a road bike before, it's been an interesting experience.

Stiff. Light. Fun.

I rode the Jamis AL frames and wasn't really comfortable. I ended up on the Quest because I liked the way steel felt. I'm also 200lbs. You might try a Jamis Satellite as well--it's in the same price range, but has a steel frame.

In any case, you'll save some $$$ buying a complete bike--Jamis specs their bikes well for the cost. A great "value" bike, especially if you can get a substantial discount from MSRP.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Steel frames are generally more comfortable than Aluminum, they flex a little when you hit bumps, because the frame doesn't have to be as overbuilt.

Because of the metalurgical properties of aluminum, frames have to be over built to compensate for the the way the metal slowly accumulates microfractures, which yeilds a very stiff frame. Now most frame manufacturers offer carbon seat stays to put a little flex back in the frame and allow for a little more comfort.

Carbon fiber, is unique. Because of the way it's constructed, engineers can control the way the sheets of carbon weave are laid, which means they can design parts of the frame to flex in a a given direction, but remain firm in another, or flex in multiple directions, or not flex much ay all. So you can get a comfortable frame without sacrificing performance.

If I had a choice between a plain Al and steel frame, I'd take the steel. Even if compared to an AL frame with carbon stays, I'd take the steel frame unless I planned on racing, and then I'd lean towards AL frame.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Reactor said:
Steel frames are generally more comfortable than Aluminum, they flex a little when you hit bumps, because the frame doesn't have to be as overbuilt.

Because of the metalurgical properties of aluminum, frames have to be over built to compensate for the the way the metal slowly accumulates microfractures, which yeilds a very stiff frame. Now most frame manufacturers offer carbon seat stays to put a little flex back in the frame and allow for a little more comfort.

Carbon fiber, is unique. Because of the way it's constructed, engineers can control the way the sheets of carbon weave are laid, which means they can design parts of the frame to flex in a a given direction, but remain firm in another, or flex in multiple directions, or not flex much ay all. So you can get a comfortable frame without sacrificing performance.

If I had a choice between a plain Al and steel frame, I'd take the steel. Even if compared to an AL frame with carbon stays, I'd take the steel frame unless I planned on racing, and then I'd lean towards AL frame.

I'm definatley not an expert on metalurgical properties, but I think you may be misinformed about the differences between steel and aluminum. As far as strength to weight, aluminum is substanitally stronger than steel. Unfortunatly, it is also less resilient (more "brittle") and offers less shock absorption, all else being equal. Aluminum frames are not stiff because they are "overbuilt", they are (were) stiff because straight gauge AL tubing is much more rigid than steel.

That being said, frame builders have come so far in their ability to manipulate tubing that the old "aluminum frames are overbuilt/ ride harsh" argument is outdated. Today, aluminum tubing can be drawn, tapered, and butted so that a frame can achieve the desired ride charactersitics with minimal weight and exceptional strength....much more so than with steel. In addition, builders are discovering how to infuse aluminum with composite materials to create tubing with even more desirable characteristics. IMO, neither steel nor carbon fiber can touch the value (performance/ $$$ spent) that AL frames offer the majority of cyclists.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Reactor said:
Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for the info.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bluebug32 said:
Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for the info.
Ok, time to be blunt... lots of people here have given you good info. Are you actually reading it?

What's with the indecisiveness?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
LordOpie said:
Ok, time to be blunt... lots of people here have given you good info. Are you actually reading it?

What's with the indecisiveness?

Yeah, I do need to just sh!t or get off the pot already. I'm going to the bike shop tomorrow. Wish me luck....[strokes credit card]

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Raaar said:
I'm definatley not an expert on metalurgical properties, but I think you may be misinformed about the differences between steel and aluminum. As far as strength to weight, aluminum is substanitally stronger than steel. Unfortunatly, it is also less resilient (more "brittle") and offers less shock absorption, all else being equal. Aluminum frames are not stiff because they are "overbuilt", they are (were) stiff because straight gauge AL tubing is much more rigid than steel.
Short answer: You are wrong.

Long answer(simplified): Aluminum alloy can be just as flexy as steel if you want it to be. Actually it cam be more flexy. If you were to build identical frames , using the same tubing diameters and wall thicknesses, the aluminum frame would be only 1/3 as stiff as a steel one. But because it's annealed yield point is about 10% of that of steel, It will flex a few times, strain harden, pass it's ultimage strength and suddenly fail.

Why? Virtually every time aluminum it bends it sustains damage and strain hardening. As an engineer, the way you compensate for this is two things, make the frame stronger with larger tubing, so it doesn't flex as much, and add extra material to the areas that do flex to limit the effect of the damage. The effect is that the frame becomes (usually) very stiff and can become uncomfortable. Most Aluminum road frames are designed with an expected lifetime, usually about ten years of ordinary usage.

On the other hand, steel has a very high yield strength, doesn't experience damage until a very high stress level is placed on it. A steel frame, well cared for can last decades.

[added info]

Youngs modulus

The higher the number the stiffer the material. AL= 69, Ti= 105-120 Steel=190-210.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got a Jamis Quest. When it's working properly, the bike is great, the ride is perfect. However, I've had lots of problems with flats (not sure if it's the bike/tires or me though) and the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts. The LBS says it's an issue with Velomax hubs/QRs. It's to the point now where I'm going to be taking the bike back to the shop and asking for a new frame and QRs or my money back. It's very frustrating. However, that shouldn't be a problem for you as you are looking at Mavic stuff on the Comet.

All in all, I really like the bike... just a problem with the easton/velomax wheels.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
jacksonpt said:
I've got a Jamis Quest. When it's working properly, the bike is great, the ride is perfect. However, I've had lots of problems with flats (not sure if it's the bike/tires or me though) and the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts. The LBS says it's an issue with Velomax hubs/QRs. It's to the point now where I'm going to be taking the bike back to the shop and asking for a new frame and QRs or my money back. It's very frustrating. However, that shouldn't be a problem for you as you are looking at Mavic stuff on the Comet.

All in all, I really like the bike... just a problem with the easton/velomax wheels.
I would say it's the QRs. Jamis isn't using any kind of uber-steel and a dropout is a dropout. Good QR's will clamp down on anything, especially in vert drops. Have your shop swap yours for Shimanos or Salsas (preferably Shimanos) and you'll never have to worry about it again.