Quantcast

Any WRX Wagon owners? (Bike related)

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Just bought myself an '02 WRX Wagon. I've been checking out hitch options and rack options and don't know the best route.
Stopped at U-Haul on my way to work this morning to check out hitch's. The hitch is $130 plus like $120-150 for install. Looks like I'm doing it myself.
Anyways, what hitches have you guys thrown on there? HiddenHitch? U-Haul? OEM?
What's my best option for an out of site, good ground clearance, trunk access, etc?
Any pictures of your set-up would be cool too. I'll be getting a T2 rack with the 2 bike extention as well. So if you know anyone selling one hit me up!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Just bought myself an '02 WRX Wagon. I've been checking out hitch options and rack options and don't know the best route.
Stopped at U-Haul on my way to work this morning to check out hitch's. The hitch is $130 plus like $120-150 for install. Looks like I'm doing it myself.
Anyways, what hitches have you guys thrown on there? HiddenHitch? U-Haul? OEM?
What's my best option for an out of site, good ground clearance, trunk access, etc?
Any pictures of your set-up would be cool too. I'll be getting a T2 rack with the 2 bike extention as well. So if you know anyone selling one hit me up!
i have an 02 wrx wagon. i just use the roof rack. thule with sportracks on the top. never had a problem with 2 bikes on the roof. only time i've had a problem is when there is a fun road to drive on. can't really do it with the bikes on top

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the OEM towbar on my 04 WRX wagon. It has a "cutout" for the exhaust, which allows me to run my borla exhaust. Cobb downpipe + borla to the pipes. A little pricy for the OEM towbar, but worth it for me. Supposedly the towbars aren't all that had to install, so you could probably look it up on NASIOC. I use a T2 on my WRX. The T2 + Turner Highline does a pretty good job of blocking the speed cameras. The T2 is solid for the way I drive, which is pretty reckless.

The WRX is too small of a car to be putting 4 bikes on a hitch rack. 2 downhill bikes is a lot of tongue weight and 4 bikes creates a huge lever arm. It's not necessarily going to hurt the car, but it will ride low in the back and put a lot of stress on the towbar, possibly sheering it off (but probably saving the car).

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I have the OEM towbar on my 04 WRX wagon. It has a "cutout" for the exhaust, which allows me to run my borla exhaust. Cobb downpipe + borla to the pipes. A little pricy for the OEM towbar, but worth it for me. Supposedly the towbars aren't all that had to install, so you could probably look it up on NASIOC. I use a T2 on my WRX. The T2 + Turner Highline does a pretty good job of blocking the speed cameras. The T2 is solid for the way I drive, which is pretty reckless.

The WRX is too small of a car to be putting 4 bikes on a hitch rack. 2 downhill bikes is a lot of tongue weight and 4 bikes creates a huge lever arm. It's not necessarily going to hurt the car, but it will ride low in the back and put a lot of stress on the towbar, possibly sheering it off (but probably saving the car).
Hmmm, well I don't plan on doing any exaust up-grades so I'm not sure it's worth the upcharge for the OEM towbar. I'm assuming that's the only advantage the OEM bar has though.
Maybe 2 bikes on the T2, and 2 on the roof would be a better option.
Anyone know the MGP decrease with just the roof rack, no bikes? If it's a very small decrease, I'll consider this option.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
i have an 02 wrx wagon. i just use the roof rack. thule with sportracks on the top. never had a problem with 2 bikes on the roof. only time i've had a problem is when there is a fun road to drive on. can't really do it with the bikes on top
How much gas do you waste with the roof racks on there, with no bikes?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's one of those things that is dependant on your habits. If you're 60mph driver, you probably won't notice much. If you're an 80+mph screamer, you'll notice a bigger difference, as parasite drag goes up as the square of velocity. You'll get lots of contradictory answers to questions like that, but the physics don't lie.

Last edited:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
That's one of those things that is dependant on your habits. If you're 60mph driver, you probably won't notice much. If you're an 80+mph screamer, you'll notice a bigger difference, as parasite drag goes up as the square of velocity. You'll get lots of contradictory answers to questions like that, but the physics don't lie.
Lol that parasite drag comment makes me wonder if your are a pilot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
very nice, hobby or job? I just started working on my CFII.
2500hr (of dual) CFI/CFII/MEI. I mostly give checkrides and train instructors/new hires these days. Just finished my Master's of Safety Science (aviation) and now I'm looking to move on to something different.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm not sure about a WRX MPG, but I drive at about 70-80 on the freeway. I tend to not go faster because of lower MPG.

I got 30.1mpg freeway before the racks, 27.2 with no bikes and two folded thule sidearm racks on top of my integra, and 24.8 with two DH bikes on top. I can up it by going 65-70 range, but realistically I don't, and thats the drop right there.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
2500hr (of dual) CFI/CFII/MEI. I mostly give checkrides and train instructors/new hires these days. Just finished my Master's of Safety Science (aviation) and now I'm looking to move on to something different.
Awesome, I'm looking to move out to Denver this summer to instruct, mainly for the biking lol. But they also pay a heck of a lot better than around PA.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I have a 2000 VW Golf 1.8T and I would get about 30 with out a roof rack. With it on I get 26-27, depends how I drive. I haven't noticed the bike cutting down the millage much more. One of the few times I've had my bike on the car for an entire tank was on a road trip to Montana (fast, fun roads) and I got 27 for almost the entire trip and I was driving 70+ on the freeways the whole time. There was even a few stretches where I was cruising around 90-100, I only slowed down because I was worried about my bike getting ripped off, tickets and I figured I was getting 22 mpg, but not the case.

All that being said I would recommend a hitch rack. There easier, you never have to worry about clearance and the top of your car wont get dirty. I ride in the mud and drive home in the rain enough that this is an issue. If you live where its dry and your bike never gets really dirty thats not an issue.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
fyi if you decide to get the reese hitch and have access to a socket set you can avoid the high install price. when i put mine on my suv all i had to do was line up holes and screw in a few bolts. simple as that, and worst case if you later decide you cant do it yourself you can probably just go back to the place you buy it from and get them to put it on.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I would second the roof racks.

I have a Yakima crossbar system that clamps to the OEM rails (lowrider or something like that, they are rated to 150lbs) with the air dam.

Then clamped to the crossbar system is three Thule Sidearms. The two on the outside face forward, the one in the middle faces rearward.

I chose this route because all the hitch racks I found just didnt work well with the rear hatch. And I have an '07 which has a new stupid design for mounting up a hitch.

I get about 26 mpg on the highway doing about 70mph, with three bikes on top.

I leave the racks on 24/7 and get probably 28mpg doing normal driving around town (half city, half highway)

This is definitely the route I would go if I were you. I love it and the sport wagon is nice because it is short enough to get the bikes without any issues.

The best part is that the whole setup cost me around $250.00.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Thanks for all the help guys! Ended up ordering a Curt Class I hitch receiver. Should be here early next week. Gonna order a new T2 as well unless I come across a used one.
It's a bummer about not being able to run the extra 2 bike carrier with the 1.25 hitch, but I'm not too stoked on the idea of roof racks yet, so I'll see how I manage with only 2 bike capability.
If I do go with a roof rack, I'm thinking about getting these bars "Easy On and Off Cross Bars" so I can store them in the garage with the bike racks attached when not in use. We'll see.

Attachments

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
honestly, I don't want to know haha. I'm running stage 2 with a really aggressive tune. TurboXS 4" downpipe to 3" catless pipe to a maddad axleback. catless uppipe and custom tune as well. It's not a decent gas mileage car haha

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I loved my t2 on my 07 until I got rearended and I could kiss my bikes while sitting in my seat. My insurance tried to screw me out of the cost of the tow bikes but in the end I got my money. So now I just use my roof racks on my new wrx.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I loved my t2 on my 07 until I got rearended and I could kiss my bikes while sitting in my seat. My insurance tried to screw me out of the cost of the tow bikes but in the end I got my money. So now I just use my roof racks on my new wrx.
Why won't the same thing happen with a roof-rack? You think the mounts are going to hold up in a crash to any real extent?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Do you have to weld it on or bolt it on? Shouldn't be that much to install if it's a bolt-on kit.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
i ran both on my wagon. a 2" T2 hitch rack and some yak king cobra roof racks. i would put two on top and two on back for shuttle runs.
as for as mpg on my 06 wrx wagon they were
freeway 500miles avg around 70-80mph
no rack 30mpg (two DH bikes in back of car)
roof rack with no bikes 28mpg
roof rack with two DH bikes on 18mpg
hitch rack with two Dh bikes on it 24mpg

i need to mention that with the bikes on top i was in boost most of the time as it was so much wind resistance.

for my hitch, i took a standard hitch and cut off the 1.25reciver and welded in a 2" part. i didnt like the idea of having two DH bikes hang off that little 1.25 tubing on the T2 Rack.

i sold the car the other month and have a 08 STI so i am working on setting up a hitch for that. my old 2" hitch is for sale now :D however, i still wouldn't put 4 bikes on it.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just remember you have an extra 150 pounds (w/2 bikes) hanging off the rear when you go to corner at high Gs.
Better than having 150+lbs of stuff on the roof that wasn't designed to take it. The T2 is solid in this respect, but cornering at "high Gs" with something on top of the car will cause way more body-roll and lead to some high forces. The bikes on the back doesn't cause much more body-roll, so lower forces due to less movement.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I notice zero increase in body roll with bikes on top. Even if I did, I'll take body roll with centered weight distribution over weighting the rear and increasing understeer.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
I notice zero increase in body roll with bikes on top. Even if I did, I'll take body roll with centered weight distribution over weighting the rear and increasing understeer.
do you have upgraded sways? as if you dont you will notice it. also, adding weight to the rear would help split up the overly heavy frond end on our cars making it a more even weight distribution :D

either way, this argument is lame, whos racing around with bikes on the cars? :D LOL

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Didn't mean to argue. Just making sure the poster remembers the weight is back there before entering a turn hot - especially if trail braking.

A lot of the places I ride in involve spirited torn up backroad driving to get to the trail head, so I often do have my bike on the car when I'm having fun.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
do you have upgraded sways? as if you dont you will notice it. also, adding weight to the rear would help split up the overly heavy frond end on our cars making it a more even weight distribution :D

either way, this argument is lame, whos racing around with bikes on the cars? :D LOL
Yep, the engine is in front of the front axle.

Anyhow, the T2 is far more secure than any roof rack IMO.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
stiffer, stock height rear springs can be had from 1990-94 legacy wagons which had 190lb rears, a good bit stiffer than stock. you may have to play with the top spring perch. I run these on my car(91 legacy wagon) with KYB AGX adjustables on full stiff rear and 1/2 front. and wrx fronts, 163lb. whiteline 24mm rear bar, stock 19mm front. it handles heavy loads great, and is tail happy which i love. very controllable, comfortable, durable setup. no problems carrying 3 DH rigs on my draw tite reciever and yakima fold down rack. another good setup would be STi stock takeoff struts, stiff but not low. lowering a subaru is like lifting a honda.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Even with the ground clearance of a forester I wasn't comfortable running 4 bikes in the back on the 1.5" hitch. 2" hitch, sure, but not that itty bitty guy... even with two bikes it seesaws like a 3rd grader on redbull under aggressive cornering.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
thule roof racks hold up pretty well in big accidents on wrxs. may have been different with a bike
Um, there appears to be no bike no there, hence the rack didn't really see many Gs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Even with the ground clearance of a forester I wasn't comfortable running 4 bikes in the back on the 1.5" hitch. 2" hitch, sure, but not that itty bitty guy... even with two bikes it seesaws like a 3rd grader on redbull under aggressive cornering.
We used to have a couple foresters, talk about soft suspension and body roll. Supposedly they are better now compared to the earlier ones, but the amount of body roll was downright scary to me.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
on my wagon with my 2" t2 i still strapped them down well. two straps holding the bike to the rack and two pulling the rack towards the car attached to the top rack. made it very stable and didnt move at all. i could rally around how i liked :D

putting a hitch on my new sti so i can do the same.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
We used to have a couple foresters, talk about soft suspension and body roll. Supposedly they are better now compared to the earlier ones, but the amount of body roll was downright scary to me.
They totally re-did the foresters. There almost like a mini suv now. and you can get the STI engine in them!!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Sportworks/Thule roof rack here. No issue with rack/bike stability. Gas mileage is different story however.

also, adding weight to the rear would help split up the overly heavy frond end on our cars making it a more even weight distribution
It will even it out, but all that gets you is more understeer. If you have roof racks you can try this experiment - put 2 bikes on your roof and take some corners at high G. Then do the same thing with the bikes off and a 150 pounds of stuff crammed into the rear (as far back as you can). You'll notice you get more understeer with the weighted rear.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
Sportworks/Thule roof rack here. No issue with rack/bike stability. Gas mileage is different story however.

It will even it out, but all that gets you is more understeer. If you have roof racks you can try this experiment - put 2 bikes on your roof and take some corners at high G. Then do the same thing with the bikes off and a 150 pounds of stuff crammed into the rear (as far back as you can). You'll notice you get more understeer with the weighted rear.
yea, i had a lot of stuff on my wagon, springs, race sways f/r, endlinks, alk, GroupN bushings everywhere, bla bla bla.

i would still rather have them at the back. as you should see your car with bikes on top when cornering hard. those babys are all over the place. i fallowed cars with king cobras and the t2 like ones and both let the bikes flop all over.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

also, adding weight to the rear would help split up the overly heavy frond end on our cars making it a more even weight distribution
It will even it out, but all that gets you is more understeer. If you have roof racks you can try this experiment - put 2 bikes on your roof and take some corners at high G. Then do the same thing with the bikes off and a 150 pounds of stuff crammed into the rear (as far back as you can). You'll notice you get more understeer with the weighted rear (weighting the rear doesn't help keep the front end any more planted).

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
the only thing i notice with bikes on back is that the rear bottoms out more.

but like i said, i have both and use both. if i do doing shuttles i have 4 bikes on teh car. two on top and to in the rear. if i am doing any long traveling they go on the back purely for gas millage.