Quantcast

Anybody ever done serious deck repairs before?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
invite portly friends over for a deck dance party.
My friend back in the old neighborhood had a porch collapse during a house party. 2 1/2 stories of seeming well constructed porch came down in about 20 seconds. Lots of serious injuries and lawsuits. His brother Bob got the worst of it, but recovered and got a fat check.

side story: that friend was half-Mexican so whenever we were out together I was Nick and he was ethNick. I miss all those dudes.

edit: obligatory 'cool story bro'.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My deck, re-done, would probably be about $30-40k.
Plus materials...... (around here).

@Nick’s house party story (too frequent in Chicago) means you should check/supplement lateral bracing for vertical supports. Those corners are opening up/nails pulling because they’re braced incorrectly (Simpson ties go on inside) and due to lateral movement or soil shifting.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I hate to say it, but based on the pics, it looks like you've got a nightmare on your hands. If it were just the joists, no biggie, but I question the header, and it's that's no beuno, it's total deck rebuild time. The good news is that the Trex is really expensive, PT lumber is relatively cheap and decks are super easy to build. If it comes down to it, save the Trex, rebuild identically and reinstall the trex.

As for screws, typically no, screws aren't going to fly. However, around here Simpson SDS screws and Timberlok are acceptable, and way, way better than nails. I'm not sure what the policy would be on removing the nails and using the same hole for the screws, I have a feeling that's officially a no-go, but unofficially it'll work just fine.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hate to say it, but based on the pics, it looks like you've got a nightmare on your hands. If it were just the joists, no biggie, but I question the header, and it's that's no beuno, it's total deck rebuild time. The good news is that the Trex is really expensive, PT lumber is relatively cheap and decks are super easy to build. If it comes down to it, save the Trex, rebuild identically and reinstall the trex.

As for screws, typically no, screws aren't going to fly. However, around here Simpson SDS screws and Timberlok are acceptable, and way, way better than nails. I'm not sure what the policy would be on removing the nails and using the same hole for the screws, I have a feeling that's officially a no-go, but unofficially it'll work just fine.
Unfortunately code has changed. Joists have to be 16" vs 12", as well as a few other issues. I believe the supports need to be 6*6 as well now too. It's stupid expensive to do from scratch.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Had a weird occurrence with the M today. I gave the M a super bath today and went up to the Highlands Ranch Mansion to take some pictures of it. I've been back and forth on that fence of selling it and the Subaru to buy a polestar again.

While I was taking pictures, an older guy in a new GLS had been driving around the lot waiting for some people When they were heading out, he stopped and asked if I was prepping to sell it. I told him I was thinking about it, but the price would have to be right. He asked me a bunch of questions: condition, year, mileage, repairs, service records, etc. And then a price and my phone number.

Madness! Madness I say!

If I could clear $22k plus $13k for the Subaru, that's $6-7k from cash and BOOM Polestar with ~30k on it. Or a V60 R-Design Polestar tune with no out of pocket and lower mileage... With space for a nice set of summer wheels because I'll winter the OEM...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had a weird occurrence with the M today. I gave the M a super bath today and went up to the Highlands Ranch Mansion to take some pictures of it. I've been back and forth on that fence of selling it and the Subaru to buy a polestar again.

While I was taking pictures, an older guy in a new GLS had been driving around the lot waiting for some people When they were heading out, he stopped and asked if I was prepping to sell it. I told him I was thinking about it, but the price would have to be right. He asked me a bunch of questions: condition, year, mileage, repairs, service records, etc. And then a price and my phone number.

Madness! Madness I say!

If I could clear $22k plus $13k for the Subaru, that's $6-7k from cash and BOOM Polestar with ~30k on it. Or a V60 R-Design Polestar tune with no out of pocket and lower mileage... With space for a nice set of summer wheels because I'll winter the OEM...
os2m1qk44j59mexmhoxp.Jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Unfortunately code has changed. Joists have to be 16" vs 12", as well as a few other issues. I believe the supports need to be 6*6 as well now too. It's stupid expensive to do from scratch.
Are you allowed to replace 1 or 2 parts at a time? Just replace 1 piece at a time, in really quick succession.

Failing that, I agree with JBP. Slap some screws in there to tighten it all back up, and wait for the sill to start failing, when it's no longer even a little bit safe, tear it all down and start fresh.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are you allowed to replace 1 or 2 parts at a time? Just replace 1 piece at a time, in really quick succession.

Failing that, I agree with JBP. Slap some screws in there to tighten it all back up, and wait for the sill to start failing, when it's no longer even a little bit safe, tear it all down and start fresh.
You can repair as much as you want. Rebuild requires new code.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Umm, yeah, just gonna go ahead and say it. With your limited experience at building stuff, and the size of your deck, hire professionals.

A modest one story deck such as @CrabJoe StretchPants is a great size for one person with some experience. But what you got there is way more than one inexperienced person can handle.

Or, say fuck it and buy another car...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Umm, yeah, just gonna go ahead and say it. With your limited experience at building stuff, and the size of your deck, hire professionals.

A modest one story deck such as @CrabJoe StretchPants is a great size for one person with some experience. But what you got there is way more than one inexperienced person can handle.

Or, say fuck it and buy another car...
heyyyyyyy....is that a “barn” door down there? looks like your little girl needs a pony! yes! horses! the perfect accessory for failing ///Ms, infinities, and dual-pergola decks! you’ll save a TON of money over horseback lessons! maybe even enough to buy yourself a theater room!