Quantcast

anybody from / been to Santiago Chile?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Well? Have you?

I'm looking at a project there, could be fairly long duration (2 years?) and just wondering about all the things.

matthelm1

Chimp
Mar 6, 2017
It's a very cool modern city with many places to go visit. Enjoy if you get down there. Pucon to the south is awesome with volcanoes everywhere. The beaches are awesome as well! Short drives from Santiago can get you to mountains or ocean easily. The nightlife is incredible!!!

Enjoy if you end up there!

Matt

matthelm1

Chimp
Mar 6, 2017
have you been there?
Yes, for about a month. I traveled most of the time, but spent a good while in Santiago. The people are pretty friendly, and you will learn so much about their cool culture within the first few weeks. The wine is usually really good as well! Big perk!!! If you get a chance to go to Patagonia do it because it is one of the prettiest places on this planet.

I had a girlfriend that lived there, and I almost moved there with her. I wasn't ready to leave when I did, and I cannot wait to go back! What type of work would you be doing down there?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My wife's family are from Vina del Mar. I went there about 5 years ago. Did not spend time in Santiago, but did visit Vina, Valparaiso and Pucon. Oddly enough I ran into a rider on the plane from Santiago to Pucon (he was wearing Sam Hill edition Freeriders), and according to him, the riding scene is great in Santiago. And with races like the Andes Pacifico, it would seem like it will be getting better all the time. I wound up riding around Pucon with him a couple of times while down there, and the riding there is awesome too. Still in its infancy, but awesome.

Otherwise, I loved Chile. Nice people, cool terrain, interesting culture, and good food.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you could always start up a side business and sell landcruisers on ebay....epecially the turbo diesel 5 speeds.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Extend the contract to the end of Trump's (hopefully only) term...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We did Chile for our honeymoon. 3 weeks and 3000 miles of travelling in the country, wend from the Atacama desert to Punta Arenas. Got in some great riding and hiking (at Torres Del Pines). The people weren't as warm as Peruvians, but we had a lot of fun. And a lot of wine drinking. Food was meh for a country so blessed with natural resources. More to come if I can think of things. I would go back and give Santiago a try for a while if my life led me that way...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Well? Have you?

I'm looking at a project there, could be fairly long duration (2 years?) and just wondering about all the things.
its a pretty cool place
I´ve been there for business, and its probably the most organized/safest city in South America. World class ammenities and living-standards are available, though relatively expensive as economic inequality is huge.

Kinda cold in the winters, with some great riding nearby (there are several bike parks and ski resorts close by).

If South America was Europe... Chile would be the equivalent of Germany (both in terms of relative development, and the stereotypes about its inhabitants)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
All together Ive spent a few years travelling/living in south/central America. Im also lucky enough to say I have travelled a great deal of the rest of the world too.
Out of all the places Ive been to, Santiago is the place where I could see myself living for the rest of my life. This almost happened a few years ago but unfortunately things with teh (now ex) GF didnt work out the way I planned.

The city itself is beautifull with plenty of parks and some really cool colonial architecture to be found mixed in with very modern stuff.
There are tons of big shopping malls if thats your thing and the city center reminds me of any big city in Europe except for the Andes always providing a beautifull backdrop.

The people are amazingly friendly but even if you speak Spanish it will take a while to get used to the accent.
Many of them speak English tho and from what I gathered the schools are pretty good and have very western standards.
Been to a few schools/universities there and was surprised how modern everything was compared to pretty much every other country in Latin America.

The rest of the country is equally awesome with tons of mountains to go riding and even snowboarding in the south and eastern border regions. The northern Atacama desert is easily one of the most stunning places on the planet and to top it all of theres some world class surfing on the west coast. Being used to surfing mostly in the Caribean it was also world class cold even for my viking ass but i got used to wearing a wetsuit pretty fast cause the waves are awesome.

Add in some of the worlds best wine and the fact that the neighbours produce the best steak you ever had and I really dont know what the fuck im doing here back in Europe sometimes.

I would also say they are the Switserland of latin America, and ive always considered it a bit of a hidden gem that the rest of the world doesnt know about yet and therefore isnt ruined yet by everything that comes with that...

So tldr, JUST DO IT!

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Wellllllll here goes, resurrecting this old thread to see if there's any new monkey insight on Chile. Starting to plan a ride-focused trip there, and kinda specifically want to know about:
  • Where's the best riding? Looks like Santiago area could keep one busy for at least a week, but what else is worth having a look at for riding?
  • Any recommendations for MTB guide services?
  • Anything to beware of, or be careful of?
  • How critical is it to know Spanish?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Spanish is needed outside of expensive places.

Yet I never had a problem.

Sundays almost everything is closed except asian restaurants.

I want to go back someday.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Santiago is a nice city. The riding is top notch. La parva is a place a lot of friends recommend. There are a few bike resorts nearby.
You can get by with just english in the posh parts of towns. Bring spares, while available locally, they are much more expensive than in the states