Quantcast

anybody gets dizzy after squats?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
When I was heavy into lifting yes. On my heavy day and heaviest lift. It is such a strain on the body. Breathing would help but during the heaviest lift I always found I could lift more by holding my breath and then doing a quick exhale at the end of the movement.

Dizziness and vomitting after a squat day were common in my gym, but then everyone was either a bodybuilder or powerlifter pushing some very high limits on weight. The breathing will help but I was never able to get rid of the dizziness of a truly heavy lift.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by rbx
i noticed lately that i get really dizzy after each sets of squat(3x12 and 1min.rest time between sets) the last time i almost vomited in the gym:( :confused:

any suggestions?
I agree with Roasted. Don't get too worried about it. It's normal. Anytime you push yourself extremely hard during a workout, you can get lightheaded or even puke. I've been there myself. It happens to me during squats and deadlifts.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
breathe more than you think you need to...over do the breathing when doing squats.

You are working more that just your legs when you are doing squats...you are working back, abs, shoulders...almost every major muscle group. This is why the body uses soooo much oxygen.

So if you breathe normally, then you will not have enough oxygen to keep up with your workout (espically with high reps) So, you start getting dizzy. The same thing happens to me all of the time. Big inhales on the down and full exhales on the way up.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Don't worry about it i was talking to one of the experts at my gym who made my weight program and somehow we ended up talking about squats and he said that you get dizzy and feal like puking but it's normal.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
you are probably performing the valsalva Maneuver which is natural and safe (unless you are elderly or have blood pressure problems) some point in the squat you are closing your glotus(?) and exhaling from the diaphram to strengthen your abdominal area, This will make you feel dizzy as It decrease oxygen supply and increases blood pressure. Don't worry about it you'll be fine.