Quantcast

anybody go to the peace march?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Here is my view on the whole thing. I think we should have taken care of crap when we were there the first time but we tried to be the good guy, and it didnt get us anywhere. I am not really for invasion but I also am not for the crap that is going on over there either. My biggest peeve is with everyone who is running around protesting this stuff and not thinking about what they are doing. Now I wasnt around for the Vietnam war but I do know what resulted. I dont want to see the members of our armed services to come back to that same crap. Hippies running around(and yes they still exist) protesting the war efforts and protesting the soldiers wont get us anywhere, how about we all support our military personel, they dont want to be there anymore then we want them to be.

I have several friends and people around me who have or are going to be shipped off to the middle east, none of them want to go, they are all scared, none of their family wants them to go either. But they have to, they took it upon themselves to defend "US," defend our freedoms, so lets treat them with respect, support the armed forces.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
i agree with you pluto, i was hanging out with my friends. after the massive amount of money spent to send troops there, i dont think were gonna back down. i do think that the number that showed up shows something about the worlds view on what we are doing. i support our troops, whatever they are doing, but why dont we just send in an assasin or somethin like that? i dont like the thought of another war. wars nowadays are push button wars, not guerilla warfare, which is also freaky because of nuclear weapons. if we could just arrest saddam and exile him or something.... he is a threat, and he has commited many crimes. i dont think he'll give up without a fight.....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Here is my view on the whole thing. I think we should have taken care of crap when we were there the first time but we tried to be the good guy, and it didnt get us anywhere. I am not really for invasion but I also am not for the crap that is going on over there either. My biggest peeve is with everyone who is running around protesting this stuff and not thinking about what they are doing. Now I wasnt around for the Vietnam war but I do know what resulted. I dont want to see the members of our armed services to come back to that same crap. Hippies running around(and yes they still exist) protesting the war efforts and protesting the soldiers wont get us anywhere, how about we all support our military personel, they dont want to be there anymore then we want them to be.

I have several friends and people around me who have or are going to be shipped off to the middle east, none of them want to go, they are all scared, none of their family wants them to go either. But they have to, they took it upon themselves to defend "US," defend our freedoms, so lets treat them with respect, support the armed forces.
So you are saying if someone doesn't belive in the war effort that they shouldn't protest. Sorry but that doesn't jive. I feel bad for the soldiers because they don't get the support but in reality the protests are against your president...not your forces. Your forces just get the brunt of the attack because it is obvious that Bush is a little thick headed and the troops do take what people are saying to heart.

I agree with the assasin thing except one problem. Martyrs are more powerful than living people. Especially in that society. I believe the US is walking into a war that will never stop. So Sad...even when the troops leave a decimated Iraq the US will continue to get attacked for a very long time with no one tangable to attack. A very sad situation with no resolve imo.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
You may already have, but ya'll should check out the political debate forum and sift through some of the threads... some of it's good debate on the Iraq issue.

I drove by the Bellingham rally downtown by the federal building... There were probably 500-1000 people there... really impressive. Didn't feel like standing out there, but I had my no Iraq war sign in my car window and gave'em a good honk.

I agree with the "support our troops" mentality-- but I haven't met any protesters who "don't" support the troops, or even mention the troops in good or bad light. Nobody wants them to return home like I imagine how it happened after Vietnam.
The troops aren't really in the equation as far as I'm concerned, it's the people directing them-- the leaders we're protesting against. I'm all for supporting troops, but not supporting stupid wars, IMO.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
I was planing to go but my family is selling a camper and i had to stay home because a guy from outta town phoned in the morning. and came out in theearly afternoon and I had to stay at home cause I was the only one home who knew about the camper...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Dirt rider

the main reason I as going to go was to support the cause of having Canadin troops not be involved... but I do support the american troops there...
:confused: I need clarification.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
peace protest = large mass of people in one area.

sounds like a good opportunity for a terrorist attack; i wonder if that would change peoples minds? ironic but if i were a bad guy that wanted war with the US, a peace protest would be the perfect opportunity to sway public opinion. even hippies would be for war if their lungs had blisters.

just my $.02.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Certified Drunk
Protest for Peace = Pro Saddam
Either you support are troops or you support Sadddam!
Dont be a spineless.
Just my 2 cents.
Holy crap, that's awesome! This is such a gross manipulation of other people's views, only to support your own--- Like a pro-life person calling the pro-choice people "pro-babykill". Which, in some people's view, may be appropriate--- but still, nobody's "pro-babykill" and nobody's pro-Saddam, and calling people those names, when you know they're not, is lame.

If you're being literal with the "support the troops" thing though, I've seen plenty of peace signs that say "support our troops, send 'em home!" And, there aren't many protesters who don't support the troops..... we're protesting the people directing them (mainly the president). But, I'm guessing you're thinking along the lines of "support the troops" = "support the war effort" and "support the president"??

Nothing personal to you, but if you actually think most of the people protesting this war are "spineless", the only appropriate response to that is "don't be brainless."

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Certified Drunk
Protest for Peace = Pro Saddam
Either you support are troops or you support Sadddam!
Dont be a spineless.
Just my 2 cents.
I went to school with a ton of folks that were against the orginial Gulf War. I never felt they were against me.

The US learned its lesson in Vietnam. Folks got smart and realized the troops weren't the problem. And that bitching at them wasn't going to get you anywhere.

Spineless is not standing up for what you believe in. Spineless is is the unwillingness to stand up for what you believe in.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How come no one had signs that said something like:

SADDAM PLEASE DISARM AND STOP THIS WAR.

SADDAM PLEASE COOPERATE FULLY AND STOP THIS WAR.

SADDAM BRING PEACE TO THE MIDDLE EAST.

:confused:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by LordOpie

Oh didnt you hear?

Everything is the fault of those evil republicans and that just plain awful George W. Bush, whose only interest is obviously oil. Even though spending billions of dollars on a foreign invasion would be exponentially more expensive than simply purchasing the oil in a peaceful manner. It must be evil at work.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Oh didnt you hear?

Everything is the fault of those evil republicans and that just plain awful George W. Bush, whose only interest is obviously oil. Even though spending billions of dollars on a foreign invasion would be exponentially more expensive than simply purchasing the oil in a peaceful manner. It must be evil at work.
I'll be damned, I think Burly is finally starting to understand. You forgot the democrats though...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
I'll be damned, I think Burly is finally starting to understand. You forgot the democrats though...
Dammit man,

That was sarcasm. Why cant the hippies just see that its not about oil? I guess a million or 2 people can be wrong.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by LordOpie

Good point. But it still rests on Bush's logic of "We're not starting this war, Saddam is." No--- Whether it's necessary or not, the USA is bringing this war. And I don't think Saddam cooperating fully would stop our push for war--- when one our main goals is "regime change".

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Dammit man,

That was sarcasm. Why cant the hippies just see that its not about oil? I guess a million or 2 people can be wrong.
Of course it's about oil but the mistake some people make is to say it's just about oil. Now whether oil is the major determiner or not....well I'm not sure. But I do agree that Saddam has gotta go. Now is a war your best way to achieve that? It's certainly the most obvious.....Interestingly, I read an article the other day that Saddam has placed his defence minister under house arrest for fear he is plotting a coup. If the US/UN keep ratcheting up the pressure, I wonder if the Iraqi armed forces will crack....I'm sure as hell they remember the road to Basra.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by patconnole
And I don't think Saddam cooperating fully would stop our push for war...
I would like to find that out. I doubt we'd still attack if Saddam completely complied. It'd be fascinating to see what the rest of the world would say if we attacked anyway.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...say, but it sure is frustrating watching the decrepit hippies and young beatnik wannabes snarl traffic and trash downtown with their lemming march when they should be at work and off the unemployment rolls. Why can't they just go back to selling Rasta Pasta and NO2 balloons at Phish shows? Amazing that I once identified with that crowd, but once I started educating myself, developing a career and raising a family, the pie-in-the-sky vision of one big ol' happy rainbow family was lifted from my eyes like rose-tinted shades. It's a sad thing how adulthood diminishes the ideals of youth, but if I want to visit fantasy land now, I just pick up a book or rent a DVD. Foreign policy is best left to a steelier sort who understand that evil does exist, a hug doesn't solve everything and that sometimes the only way to deal with those who are bent on our destruction is from the breach end of an M16.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
... NO2 balloons
mmmmm..... nitrous....

you're right, foreign policy IS best left to folks who have never crossed an ocean*.

*as of the beginning of their presidency.

IKE

Chimp
Jun 17, 2002
i think we should round up all the protesters and send em over to saddam. they can enlighten him on their views and everything will turn up roses for everybody

IKE

Chimp
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Protesters are simply bored, unemployed folks with nothing better to do. They ought to grab a garbage bag and go clean a park instead.
ahahahaha