Quantcast

Anybody have old Monster T parts?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just bought a budget bike and I'm trying to put lipstick on a pig. I have a monster but the upper stanchion is cracked and it leaks oil. Have thought about JB welding it to cover the scratches, but I'm not sure what else to do. I've added teflon tape, which helped, but the cracks go too far down. FWIW, it looks like the PO torqued the cap down too hard.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
PM sent, kind homie.

I don't know if 40 stanchions will work. The old monster I'm working with is only 7" of travel. I imagine I'd have to cut down the bottom of the stanchion quite a bit. Then I don't know if the cap will thread in. I suppose it's worth a shot if nothing else pans out, but I think I can hose clamp/epoxy the sucker with better success, as it isn't structural, just needs to seal a small crack.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I thought the Monster T was 32mm and the super monster was 40mm?

I know a few guys downstate your way with some parts laying around. PM me if you have no luck and I will give you some digits to text or call. They are Delta house guys so you should kinda know them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

I know a few guys downstate your way with some parts laying around. PM me if you have no luck and I will give you some digits to text or call. They are Delta house guys so you should kinda know them.

This guy is waiting to ride with you. Hustle:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

All the monsters were 40mm. Supposedly the mk1 was a decent fork, the mk2 sucked, and the stupor monster actually had really good cartridges in it. I need a mk1 cartridge, but a mk2 set of crowns will work.

I'm surprised at how not heavy the fork is though. It's no boxxer WC, but I'm guessing 2lbs lighter than my avalanche, and only a little bit more than my 66.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
All the monsters were 40mm. Supposedly the mk1 was a decent fork, the mk2 sucked, and the stupor monster actually had really good cartridges in it. I need a mk1 cartridge, but a mk2 set of crowns will work.

I'm surprised at how not heavy the fork is though. It's no boxxer WC, but I'm guessing 2lbs lighter than my avalanche, and only a little bit more than my 66.
IIRC the MK1 Monster was ~9.5lbs, and the MK2 was ~12!!

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
ahhh gotcha. It was the Jr. T that was 32.

I got a Yeti in 2001 that had a super monster, it was a nice fork. Better than the pile of $hit Shiver i put on it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What year? I have a friend with a fully functioning '03 he'd sell you if you wanted it. Keep in mind that's the monstrous 12ish lb version, not the semi-reasonable '02 and earlier version.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mine is the mk1, not sure of year, but 99-02 appear to be identical. It is not the later version.

If he's selling it cheap, I'd be interested. I can use the later crowns on my fork, but they have to be used together apparently. That will help solve my problem, which is the drop crown.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Let me see if I can get ahold of it this weekend and check the condition. I know the lowers are pretty gouged up, not sure about the stanchions. I know both crowns are 100% though, if that's all you're really interested in.