Quantcast

Anybody here a car mechanic?...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's for an 87 Cavalier Z24. When I drive and do tight turns, I hear this rapid knocking (almost sounds like a machine gun) sound coming from the wheels, is that the ball joints that are worn?? Second, my gas mileage has gotten lousy on the car in the last year and a half. I used to be at 400km per 40L, now I'm at 300km (maximum!) on 40L. I've done oil changes, changed the spark plugs, changed the cables, changed the gas filter, air filter. The gas pump was also replaced when it broke. I'm thinking it could be the timing belt but I'm no way an expert on this stuff. I know it's almost impossible to know what's going on without seeing the car but I just figured I'd ask. Thanks for your help!

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Oh yea the gas mileage question.... This can be a tough one with out checking the car out but tire air pressure can play a small part but I have found(atleast here on the eastcoast of the states) the gas quality has really gone down and in return mileage has suffered too. Might be something to look at.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
yeah, the knocking sounds are probably CV joints. rebuilt ones are fairly cheap for a 87 Cavalier... not so if you have an Acura... mine have been making those noises for about a 100k miles...

The gas milage coudl be a number of things... any of Big John's suggestions could be correct. about the only thing I would add is to suggest having a compression check done. If a cylindar is low on compression, it will affect gas milage...

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
As far as the fuel consumption, have the emissions system checked and also replace the fuel filler cap. Cars (especially Chevy's) are famous for thecheck engine lite comin on for the cap alone! Also, replace the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor as well. If these are worn and they do wear, they will cause fuel to be wasted. Have the car checked on a computer at a shop, sometimes one electronic engine monitoring component can make tthe cars computer compensate for a problem that really does not exist.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Cool! Thanks for all the help....I appreciate it. I think in the end I'll end up buying a new used car (when I have the money). As for the mileage, yeah it's weird...I've changed everything so I'll look into getting the things everyone mentioned checked. Thanks again!