Quantcast

Anybody homebrew?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
We're brewing up a batch of meade this weekend and maybe another batch beer next weekend...anyone else here brew?

Down to my last jar of meade:hot:

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
We did a brew swap with a few of the guys on one of my other forums...we sent it all UPS/Fedex so as to not get arrested, but it was a fantastic idea. I sent off two quarts of meade to a few of the guys and got a sixer from each.

Unfortunately, I won't have any meade that is ready for another 2 years LOL...It's drinkable after 6 months or so...not too shabby after a year...18 months is good and 2 years DAMN GOOD....3 years is just heaven and 4 years...well no one's waited THAT long LOL.

This was the recipe I used...
Ingredients:

* 12 pounds, Wildflower Honey
* 2 pounds, blueberries
* 2 teaspoons, gypsum or water crystals
* 3 teaspoons, yeast nutrient
* 1 ounce, Hallertauer Leaf hops
* 1 tablespoon, Irish Moss
* 2 packs, Red Star Pastuer Champagne yeast

Tom, my buddy made straight up, normal meade...Honey,water, yeast three years LOL

RJ

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Here's the label a friend came up with for an oatmeal stout I made a few years ago before I moved (and before I got a CO2/keg setup :) )...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tozovr said:
We did a brew swap with a few of the guys on one of my other forums...we sent it all UPS/Fedex so as to not get arrested, but it was a fantastic idea. I sent off two quarts of meade to a few of the guys and got a sixer from each.

Unfortunately, I won't have any meade that is ready for another 2 years LOL...It's drinkable after 6 months or so...not too shabby after a year...18 months is good and 2 years DAMN GOOD....3 years is just heaven and 4 years...well no one's waited THAT long LOL.

This was the recipe I used...
Ingredients:

* 12 pounds, Wildflower Honey
* 2 pounds, blueberries
* 2 teaspoons, gypsum or water crystals
* 3 teaspoons, yeast nutrient
* 1 ounce, Hallertauer Leaf hops
* 1 tablespoon, Irish Moss
* 2 packs, Red Star Pastuer Champagne yeast

Tom, my buddy made straight up, normal meade...Honey,water, yeast three years LOL

RJ
:drool:

I am very lucky in that I actually have quite a few friends that brew. When the wife and I got married a freind brewed us a batch of stout as a wedding gift. Our guests thought it was the highlight of the wedding.

One of the activities we persue in the medieval recreation group is period brewing.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Ciaran said:
And I do love a good mead. :thumb:
this is of course, the 'mead of victory' right ??? after your enemies lay slain on the battlefield... heads severed by their own swords... :)

last time the missus and i were back home we picked up some local brewed honey mead... very tasty...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Are you one of those mead makers that always has mead aging at like 6 month intervals? So maybe this one won't be ready until 2008 but do you have some coming of age soon?

I've dabbled a bit in homebrewing, but nothing big. Although I am eyeing some systems to get into the game. I have brewed at a commercial brewery a couple of times, that's a cool gig. Nothing like "testing the carbonation" at 9 am.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
See, that's the thing, I WANT to be like that, but with my Landscape Construction business I find I lose my mind 9 months out of the year and forget.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I do a bit of homebrewing. Me and a friend do lagers and IPAs mostly - we had a couple of goes at regular ales but neither of us are huge ale drinkers. We've been putting down on a regular basis since about April. I recon we've done close to 400 litres. (Actually roughly 380 if I count right..)

Supposedly you need to leave the stuff at least 6 months for the best taste, but we can never wait that long. Some of the 4 month stuff has tasted pretty good. When you first drink there is often that green taste - you know it is too young really, but after a few mouthfuls you don't notice it so much. Also it always seems to be rather strong. :thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I wish I could do lagers, but I have no way to lager the beer. :( I'm planning a big brew weekend in a couple of months. The wife is out of town so I'm doing at least 15 gallons. One will hopefully be Brungeman's delicious nut-brown ale. Another will be my first "big" beer: an Abbey-style ale that should finish out around 9.5% abv. :drool: