Quantcast

Anybody know of a good presta inflator to buyfor the air compressor

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IDK, but I cut down a presta valve core to help in this regard, basically snipped off the bottom half of the inner part. The main issue is the restriction of the presta valve (why it's kind of dumb for tubeless rims). Like you are realizing, you need a way to move a lot of air fast, which doesn't hinge on the compressor, it hinges on the valve and with a new high volume/low pressure pump I got, I can easily set any of my tubeless rims, but with the presta-valve restriction, not so much. I'm curious to see what you find or any suggestions in this thread. Hopefully pumps like that new bontrager air-tank thing have a head that allows you to totally remove the valve-core of the valve, for setting the tire, so you can move max air through it. Traditional pumps/valves don't do this and require the middle of the valve-core to "push" on the inner head to allow air to be moved.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
IDK, but I cut down a presta valve core to help in this regard, basically snipped off the bottom half of the inner part. The main issue is the restriction of the presta valve (why it's kind of dumb for tubeless rims). Like you are realizing, you need a way to move a lot of air fast, which doesn't hinge on the compressor, it hinges on the valve and with a new high volume/low pressure pump I got, I can easily set any of my tubeless rims, but with the presta-valve restriction, not so much. I'm curious to see what you find or any suggestions in this thread. Hopefully pumps like that new bontrager air-tank thing have a head that allows you to totally remove the valve-core of the valve, for setting the tire, so you can move max air through it. Traditional pumps/valves don't do this and require the middle of the valve-core to "push" on the inner head to allow air to be moved.
I use an 8mm drill bit and a set of Stan's schrader valves to address this issue, since my stone troll manners led to a handful of broken presta valves.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
For seating tires I just pull the core, and use a blow gun with a pointy rubber tip on it, then put your finger over the hole for a second while you grab the valve, and/or let the air back out, and squirt some Stans in there.