Quantcast

Anybody know origins of sandbagging phrase?

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
I'm guessing that it comes from horse racing and has to do with making some of the horses carry extra weight to slow them down - but that's totally a guess.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good question, a Google search came up with this answer:

I can tell that you had a sheltered youth, because when the subject of "sandbags" comes up you immediately think of flood control and all those valiant citizens building sandbag dikes to save their beleaguered communities. Wrong sandbags. Those of us who grew up in the mean alleys and smoky dives of the Brooklyn waterfront know that a sock or small bag filled with sand makes a fearsome weapon, all the better because it leaves no marks. Thus the verb "to sandbag," which since around 1887 has meant "to fell with a blow from a sandbag," or just generally "to bully or intimidate." (I was kidding about growing up on the waterfront, by the way. I wasn't even allowed to cross the street until I was 21.)

The specific "hang back" or "slack off" sense of "sandbag" you're wondering about comes from poker, where it originally described a player who held off raising the stakes in order to lull the other players into a false sense of security. The poker sandbagger would pounce late in the game, clobbering the other players with his good hand. More generally, "sandbag" has come to mean to under perform any task in order to gain some advantage.

Jan 19, 2004
denver
I was thinking of how sandbags are used as fortification around foxholes and trenches on battlefields. But I just couldn't make the connection between this and bicycle racers competing in lower classes for a competitive advantage.

Also considered sandbags as fortification against rising waters, but I couldn't draw a correlation here either.

So the poker analogy makes most sense to me.

Thanks for the info!

nydave

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Orange Co. NY
was a term used in the old days to describe how to keep man carrying hot air balloons on the ground. Sandbags were placed in the basket to help hold the balloons down. Once the ballooneers were ready to get airborne, they would toss out the sandbags and "take off".

So, in other words, someone who holds back until the finish, and then flys past everyone to win a race, for example, is "sandbagging".

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude i got called a sandbagger this weekend. it hurt my pride greatly.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
It comes from auto racing.

To make the race more exciting, qualifying runs were used to come up with a starting order for the cars. You do a quick time trial and they seat you fastest guys at the back, slowest guys at the front- that way there's some action. Sandbaggers are guys that would toss a few sandbags into their cars in the qualifying runs to make sure that they got seeded further toward the front.

Shredder

Chimp
Sep 28, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Last year was my first year racing, and it seemed like "Sandbagger" was a bit overused, especially in the DH crowd. The top 2 or 3 riders were always labeled sandbaggers. Use some common sense. Somebody has to be in the top spots, unless nobody races. Let them have their glory and stop whining.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have heard that term used in drag racing for years, I had always assumed it was when someone would weigh down their car with sandbags to make it slower and then remove the bags to blow doors, tricking people into racing them for money or pinks. Now in drag racing it means to let off the gas at the last second if you think your run was too fast for your ET. this term applies to bracket racing where if you run faster than your ET you are out. The basic idea is to guess how fast you can go without going faster, whoever gets the closest wins. I had never heard the poker references or otherwise before...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A sandbaggger is someone who races below their class in order to make the podium they otherwise wouldn't get if they actually raced others of similar experience.

In a recent road bike race I did the winner of the Open Rec class finished eight minutes ahead of the second place finisher - had that racer been in the Open Pro division he would have finished 6th - as it was he finished 6th overall but took the podium for a lower class. I have no respect for that.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Serial Midget said:
A sandbaggger is someone who races below their class in order to make the podium they otherwise wouldn't get if they actually raced others of similar experience.

In a recent road bike race I did the winner of the Open Rec class finished eight minutes ahead of the second place finisher - had that racer been in the Open Pro division he would have finished 6th - as it was he finished 6th overall but took the podium for a lower class. I have no respect for that.
If you don't know him it is difficult to tell his story for him....if you really want to know his story, just ask...who knows, maybe you did and he told you he was a sandbagger, then you can expalin to him why that sucks. Otherwise he could just be a really talented guy who is inexperienced at raceing and is just trying to learn the rules of the game. Raceing is very different from just riding. I see this stuff going on all the time, the judging and not communicating or even trying to learn the other guys story, I just think we should talk to each other more...face to face. :thumb: I know a guy who beat his class by twenty four minutes in expert singlespeed!! and i can tell you he is no sandbagger, I think it was his second or third ever single speed race, and in the other races he did not even win against the same field. Life is crazy ya know? Sometimes you feel strong and sometimes you fall of the back. Peace and home made biscuits bro, no offense just stickin' my nose in. :D

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Heath Sherratt said:
If you don't know him it is difficult to tell his story for him....if you really want to know his story, just ask...who knows, maybe you did and he told you he was a sandbagger, then you can expalin to him why that sucks. Otherwise he could just be a really talented guy who is inexperienced at raceing and is just trying to learn the rules of the game. Raceing is very different from just riding. I see this stuff going on all the time, the judging and not communicating or even trying to learn the other guys story, I just think we should talk to each other more...face to face. :thumb: I know a guy who beat his class by twenty four minutes in expert singlespeed!! and i can tell you he is no sandbagger, I think it was his second or third ever single speed race, and in the other races he did not even win against the same field. Life is crazy ya know? Sometimes you feel strong and sometimes you fall of the back. Peace and home made biscuits bro, no offense just stickin' my nose in. :D
If he races in that same class again, he's a sandbagger.