Quantcast

Anybody on a Cervelo "R" bike?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Been thinking about replacing my steel road bike with one of the new breed of carbon bikes, and the "R" series from Cervelo is a front runner. Looking at an R3 or RS, depending on geo/fit. Anyone have any real world experience with one of these?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Nope. My foray into the carbon frame market landed me on a Kestrel Talon. It's a pretty damn good ride for being "outdated." Oh yeah, it being affordable as hell certainly helped the transition.

Try slowtwitch.com. Thems tri folk swear by Cervelo, and there are most certainly reviews of the road frames to be found.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the cervelos are pretty nice. i got to spend some time on the newer model and was fairly pleased with it.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I haven't ridden one extensively, but I can tell you I have not felt more cozy and quick on a bike, so much as I did on an R3. I am amazed that it's so spindly in the seat stays, yet so stiff under load.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I too must say that I was pretty impressed by the handling of Cervelo's offerings. I've not ridden anything save maybe a Parlee that had that "sweet spot" feel so instantaneously. Smooth like butter, stiff like a board, handles like it has autopilot.
So yeah, you might want to put an R3(SL) on the short list

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Wow, none of us is any help....I have a Scott CR1 and have been really happy with it, and I saw a R3 once :biggrin:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow, none of us is any help....I have a Scott CR1 and have been really happy with it, and I saw a R3 once :biggrin:

That's ok, even though people talk about them as being very desirable, it seems there are not that many out there (yet). I may be looking at the RS - the cost of the R3 SL is a little daunting, but more importantly I think the slightly different geo of the RS will suit me better. I am intrigued at how every review speaks to the fact that it is at once super stiff in the drivetrain but also comfortable due to built-in compliance (not to mention the light weight). Some of my regular rides have pretty rough roads so I bike built for Roubaix makes sense to me!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
That's ok, even though people talk about them as being very desirable, it seems there are not that many out there (yet). I may be looking at the RS - the cost of the R3 SL is a little daunting, but more importantly I think the slightly different geo of the RS will suit me better. I am intrigued at how every review speaks to the fact that it is at once super stiff in the drivetrain but also comfortable due to built-in compliance (not to mention the light weight). Some of my regular rides have pretty rough roads so I bike built for Roubaix makes sense to me!
I think a lot of carbon bikes are built that way. My Scott is really stiff, yet forgiving on rough roads. I've heard, don't know if its true, that it has to do with the direction the fiber is laid....so they can lay it in such a way to be stiff in one direction and supple in another.