Quantcast

Anybody out there have Bullseye hub experience?

Locosrus

Chimp
Dec 18, 2001
Fran sancisco
I have a set of Bullseye hubs on my BMX Cruiser and they have slowly developed play, so I went out and replaced the sealed bearings with the exact same size but when I put them back together the play didn't go away.

I asked a couple of guys and they say that there's nothing to do, the hub body "streched" or has worn down, OR the axle is Worn out, I don't wanna go out and rebuild a wheelset until I'm sure that there is nothing to do.

Well if any monkeys out there know anything, or have any suggestions please post a reply

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
I have some Bullseye hubs i bought around 1990.
We sold these in a shop I worked at and we often had people complain about some side play in the bearings.
Mine have always been fine. I did many miles on these and they have stayed pretty smooth even in muddy UK conditions.
You could try putting the bearings in using loctite bearing lock. This is a pretty strong compound and might help eliminate the play.

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
I have some Bullseye hubs i bought around 1990.
We sold these in a shop I worked at and we often had people complain about some side play in the bearings.
Mine have always been fine. I did many miles on these and they have stayed pretty smooth even in muddy UK conditions.
You could try putting the bearings in using loctite bearing lock. This is a pretty strong compound and might help eliminate the play.

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
Oops didn't mean to double post my internet connection is giving me some hassle lately.
Im not sure what the correct name is of the loctite i am thinking of but it is the same stuff you use to fix the original Klein bottom brackets into their frames.
It is strong stuff and should stop any unwanted movement between the bearings and the hub shell.

Locosrus

Chimp
Dec 18, 2001
Fran sancisco
Originally posted by Wardy
Oops didn't mean to double post my internet connection is giving me some hassle lately.
Im not sure what the correct name is of the loctite i am thinking of but it is the same stuff you use to fix the original Klein bottom brackets into their frames.
It is strong stuff and should stop any unwanted movement between the bearings and the hub shell.
That sounds simple enough! it would almost be too easy, It's worth a try I guess
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utom51

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
Iowa
Bought an old set of phil hubs a while back, the literature in the box said if the rims would wobble 1/8" from play in the hub, that was normal.