Quantcast

Anyone carry a gun while trail building alone?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm looking into the idea of carrying a gun when I'm building trail alone in the woods. The main purpose is for protection from cougars(scary beasts).

I have been trying to put in alot of time doing trail work lately and I'd feel much safer having a partner to work with, however I can't find anyone willing to put in time to build mid week.

For those of you who carry: what are you carrying? What would you recommend?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Not to be a downer, but.... you probably won't see or hear the cougar coming until it's too late if it decides to eat you.

Best thing to do when out by your self is to avoid bending over, crouching or anything else that makes you look like a small tasty snack.... maybe start working with a chainsaw...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Stay out of local over 35 bars.
Dress poor.
Don't shower.
Always carry protection just in case. I carry magnums.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Not to be a downer, but.... you probably won't see or hear the cougar coming until it's too late if it decides to eat you.

Best thing to do when out by your self is to avoid bending over, crouching or anything else that makes you look like a small tasty snack.... maybe start working with a chainsaw...
Bending over, crouching... I'd be a county worker if I avoided those things.

I realize that in most instances it would be a close encounter; however, I do not plan on being the next idiot with a gun. After purchasing the firearm there will be countless hours spent on getting familiar with the gun, not only aiming the gun for long range shots, but also working on quick draw and moving target shots(after all that's what it's going to be doing if I'm in said situation).

I want a small gun to be able to handle it easily. I'm also looking for something that has relatively cheap ammunition available. I don't want to go broke doing target practice.

My father after years of government service carrying a gun suggested a Sig 226 if price was no concern. It is however a concern.
I think right now something in the 9mm or .380 size.
Perhaps a KelTec P3AT for it's minute size and relatively low cost($300ish).

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
After purchasing the firearm there will be countless hours spent on getting familiar with the gun, not only aiming the gun for long range shots, but also working on quick draw and moving target shots(after all that's what it's going to be doing if I'm in said situation).
All good ideas, but don't let the gun make you feel safe by yourself out there. There's a good chance if you are attacked that you won't have time to draw down.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
A far better idea, but one that will take an exceedingly long time, is to learn the martial arts. You will be in a far better position to defend yourself than with a gun. By the time you hear the cougar, or what ever is stalking you for dinner, it will most likely be too late to draw a gun. You, on the other hand will have some kind of "pole arm" to defend yourself with.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Ill try to give you an actual answer rather than a smart comment.

If you want affordable ammo 9mm will be your best bet. I'm not sure where you live but ammo is still kind of hard to find. Look around at all the places that you would buy ammo and see what they carry. Around here .40 is the most common. Cheap doesnt matter if you cant find it.

I carry a S&W M&P 9c. If you are only going to carry in the woods you could carry a full size. If I could afford a "woods only carry" it would be a .45 1911. If you plan to carry more often a sub-compact/compact makes it easier to conceal.

9mm is the cheapest, you will be able to carry more rounds in the gun. .40 has more knock down, a little more expensive and can carry a decent amount of ammo in the gun. .45 is your best bet for knock down. Its the most expensive and the gun will carry probably half of what a 9mm does. But...in theory if you are hitting your target you dont need the quantity.

You should have hollow point in anything you carry for protection.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I never worry about anything like that because a trail builder is one of the most well-armed individuals in the forest....if you're doing it right.

Mattox: check

Fiskars hatchet: check

Spade shovel: check

Hand saw: check

It would be like trying to rob Freddy Kreuger if you got a hold of me out there. :thumb:

splat

Nam I am
as has been said before. you will only need it if you are attacked, and drawing it and using it during an attack would be difficult. lets say you can draw it you still have to operate and hit the attacker. In all seriousness you might be better off with a large hunting Knife, because if you are able to draw it , it will be a lot easier to inflict damage on the attacker.

If you see the cougar well in advance, you should be able to scare it off easily with Trail Maintenance tools

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Take a dog out with you. They'll notify you if any predators are around and any they miss will take out the dog first, being the smaller prey.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Indian villagers who work in the forest wear masks on the back of their heads as tigers do not like to attack from the front. I'll bet cougars have similar instincts.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
+1 for large hunting knife and dog

If you have a pistol you most likely wouldn't be able to hit your target at any distance. Plus your adrenaline would be pumping hardcore which will be a very different situation than while you are target practicing.

Also, anyone else in the woods would be in danger if you whip out a gun and start blasting away. One of the first rules of firing a gun is knowing what is beyond your target.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm looking into the idea of carrying a gun when I'm building trail alone in the woods. The main purpose is for protection from cougars(scary beasts).

I have been trying to put in alot of time doing trail work lately and I'd feel much safer having a partner to work with, however I can't find anyone willing to put in time to build mid week.

For those of you who carry: what are you carrying? What would you recommend?
I carry a Taurus PT92 Compact, its a clone of the Beretta Centurion. It big for concealing under clothes but perfect for in my pack and far more accurate than a pocket pistol. I ride in some sketchy places alone at night, I have it just incase someone tried to car or bike-jack me.

Oh and if you buy a gun, find a shooting range with reactive steel and moving targets so you can learn to shoot at more than just a static paper circle.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Air horn. The louder the better.
I'm with cletus.

...but seriously, there have got to be a few options besides a pistolero. Air horn, dag, pepper spray, stuff like that. There's probably some kind of repellant that you can layer the area with before you start work that will last for a few hours. Or wearing chains or something to rattle and make noise.

If you really want a cannon, why not get a small shotgun or something? You shouldn't really need multi-round or semi auto capacity, and it'll be a lot easier to carry, transport and register a shotgun than a pistol. If the animal pounces without you seeing it first, you dead, fool, doesn't matter whether you have a gat or an uzi or a bazooka.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
A dog is by far the best option.

The problem with cougars is that they are ambush predators.

For a cougar a successful attack is when they sever the victim's spinal cord in one blow/bite before the prey has time to react. They will jump out of trees from above or come at you from behind.

The most important thing is to have warning, a dog can provide this, a gun cannot. A dog and a gun would work well.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are trail building, I would thing the tools used would be FAR more effective than a gun. Unless you dig with one hand on the shovel and the other on the gun. But it would be tough to shovel one handed.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I carry a Taurus PT92 Compact, its a clone of the Beretta Centurion. It big for concealing under clothes but perfect for in my pack and far more accurate than a pocket pistol. I ride in some sketchy places alone at night, I have it just incase someone tried to car or bike-jack me.

Oh and if you buy a gun, find a shooting range with reactive steel and moving targets so you can learn to shoot at more than just a static paper circle.
That is the plan if I do indead pick up a gun.

"I realize that in most instances it would be a close encounter; however, I do not plan on being the next idiot with a gun. After purchasing the firearm there will be countless hours spent on getting familiar with the gun, not only aiming the gun for long range shots, but also working on quick draw and moving target shots(after all that's what it's going to be doing if I'm in said situation)."

I'm not trying to justify carrying a gun, just wondering if it is a good idea.

The woods where I am building is 15 minutes outside of a town with a population of 2100 people. A 5 minutes drive takes place on logging roads beyond that, and then another 5 or so minute walk (with a wheelbarrow and tools) to the actual jumps.

Currently for tools I'm carrying a pulaski, shovel, spade, tamp, mcleod, rake(2 sizes and styles), stiff modified broom, hand saw, wheel barrow.
I usually bring a radio with me to keep me motivated and to try to keep animals away. Finally, I carry my cell phone. I made sure that when I bought my contract I would have service when I was way out yonder in the woods for these specific instances. Further more, I've mapped the the location on my parents GPS, and given them the directions and coordinates to where I am so that I can be found if I don't happen to return, or if they recieve an emergency call.

I'm not sold on the idea of a gun. I think most people with guns are idiots and have no right having them. However, I also think that there is a time and place for them.

I work in a bike shop that was purchased by a sporting goods store who's main sales are from hunters. I'll look and see what they keep in stock for ammo today and what my price would be on .380 ammo v 9mm

I will not buy a gun until I also get a quality gun lock and safe, as well as a holster. I don't care how small it a P3AT is, there is no way it's going in my pocket like all the other idiots with CWP. Whats the point if you can't draw quickly?

I love the idea of a dog. Unfortunately, current living situations will not allow for me to give a dog adequate running room and/or the proper obedience training. I would consider it very cruel to keep a large dog in a house 24/7 and only let him run on weekends.
When I buy my own house in 2 years time, I have every intention of getting a pair of trail dogs, until then I'm looking for other options.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Bear Repellent would be a more effective form of defense out there compared to a handgun.

Or you could just let yourself go so the wilderness thinks you're scary. Then all you'd have to do is carry a stick... like this guy

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A compact pistol and amo is for people protection.... I have never shot a cougar but if I was going to try and protect myself by using a firearm/pistol it would be with a .45 in the least. A firearm in your pack is useless. It needs to be in a holster and ready to go.....

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
DO NOT BRING A DOG!!!!

Studies have shown that because they're smaller than a cougar and run around a lot (cougar's instinct is to chase smaller things that are running), they will actually increase the chances of an attack.

Eyes painted on the back of a hoodie or hat would help also. Cougars usually attack from the back.

Best bet though is to not go out alone.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A compact pistol and amo is for people protection.... I have never shot a cougar but if I was going to try and protect myself by using a firearm/pistol it would be with a .45 in the least. A firearm in your pack is useless. It needs to be in a holster and ready to go.....
yeah, i think a 9mm might piss the cougar off. a .45 or .40 should put it down

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I feel safer in the woods alone carrying a pulaski than I would walking a street with my posse.

Why are Americans so ****ing afraid of things that will not hurt them but ignore things that will kill them? You are more likely to get killed/hurt driving to a trail than you are on it, no matter how many lions/tigers/bears there are. No one wears a helmet when they drive, hell they have to pass laws to make people wear seatbelts. People will not stop smoking or eating deep fried milkshakes but have to arm themselves in case their barista attacks them with a espresso tamper.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm a little concerned with my ability to safely control a larger hand gun, hence staying around the 9/.380 size. I'm very well aware that larger is far more potent, but whats of shooting if you can't hit your target?

I have every intention of spending countless hours at a gun range with moving targets getting familiar with the gun so I don't need to stand and aim. A quick draw and the knowledge that bullet is going where I want it to is what I'm after.

If I do get anything, it will be holstered.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm a little concerned with my ability to safely control a larger hand gun, hence staying around the 9/.380 size. I'm very well aware that larger is far more potent, but whats of shooting if you can't hit your target?

I have every intention of spending countless hours at a gun range with moving targets getting familiar with the gun so I don't need to stand and aim. A quick draw and the knowledge that bullet is going where I want it to is what I'm after.

If I do get anything, it will be holstered.
if you are going to spend the hours in a range, then you should be fine learning with a bigger gun.
a 9mm or .380 is just going to piss the cougar or bear or whatever off

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I feel safer in the woods alone carrying a pulaski than I would walking a street with my posse.

Why are Americans so ****ing afraid of things that will not hurt them but ignore things that will kill them? You are more likely to get killed/hurt driving to a trail than you are on it, no matter how many lions/tigers/bears there are. No one wears a helmet when they drive, hell they have to pass laws to make people wear seatbelts. People will not stop smoking or eating deep fried milkshakes but have to arm themselves in case their barista attacks them with a espresso tamper.
And some people try to do research before they make a purchase to find out the pro's and con's of carrying a gun for protection from said wildlife, as opposed to running out purchasing a gun, waving it about like a freak, and shooting at every twig that snaps...