Quantcast

Anyone else's Mac randomly shut off?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know, I know...tech forum:

I just was hoping for some initial traffic.

Anyway, this thing will randomly shut off for no apparent reason. And as I hit the power button to turn it back on, sometimes it will shut off again several times before it reboots.

Any recalls on this or anything, or do I just have to live with it?

Also, save your PC mumbo jumbo for another thread Syadasti and others. Im not looking for a debate, just a solution and that solution isnt a PC for me, so there's no reason to waste your energy typing up some halfwit response that im going to immediately discredit becuase I dont care.

Thanks.:cheers:

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
PC/Mac, they all suck monkey balls. I know my PC used to do it all the time until I gave it better ventilation. Doesn't make a difference Mac or PC. If they can't breath, they won't run. Not sure how yours is set up, but make sure there is enough free air space around the tower. Now the only time it freezes is when I'm in PS working on huge files. Need more RAM I guess.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
virus and/or spyware.

I don't care - the commercial is wrong.
you basing this on any facts?

this is a totally serious question. we were talking about this at work today. how many actual virus/spyware applications are there for OSX?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
PC/Mac, they all suck monkey balls. I know my PC used to do it all the time until I gave it better ventilation. Doesn't make a difference Mac or PC. If they can't breath, they won't run. Not sure how yours is set up, but make sure there is enough free air space around the tower. Now the only time it freezes is when I'm in PS working on huge files. Need more RAM I guess.

Its a macbook and its brand new. Could it be getting too hot on my lap? Come to think of it, Ive never seen it shut off while sitting on the desk? Is there an overheat switch that causes immediate shutdown? Would explain alot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Its a macbook and its brand new. Could it be getting too hot on my lap? Come to think of it, Ive never seen it shut off while sitting on the desk? Is there an overheat switch that causes immediate shutdown? Would explain alot.
It sounds like a heat issues or bad/badly seated ram. There is a heat issue with macbooks. That, or your battery may be loose??

edit: beaten.

If it's under 30 days or whatever, they will just replace the entire unit if you go to a mac store and it wasn't a CTO (custom config).

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Interesting. I've had no other glitches to speak of. You'd think it would effect some other operation than that. What would be the point?
a.) we would have heard of it on the news already
b.) there are still extremely few viruses on the mac
c.) all known viruses can't inflict that kind of damage to the Mac OS, and people have been trying.

It's probably hardware, but have you tried reinstalling the OS?
edit: nevermind

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My ibook shuts down if it overh

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Trashed power supply? My compy is currently having similar issues because of the ten dollar PSU trying to power an Athlon 64 and a 6600 GT...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
My iBook had some problems. The power supply stopped charging. We went out and bought another power supply. That didn't fix it. We took it to an Apple repair center. They replaced pretty much everything inside before settling on the motherboard. So just inside the one-year warranty, we had a new laptop. Granted, the LCD screen housing has been slowly cracking at the edges since the beginning. Nothing big, but there have been some problems.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Sounds like ram to me. My old powerbook's ram started causing random shutdowns/restarts and that's why I finally retired her for my MacBook. Yeah it's hot, but I'm going to welcome that warm sensation on my sac once it starts getting cold out here.