Quantcast

Anyone familiar with Fort Rock willing to assist w/ some knowldege?

dankmtb

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I’ve got a buddy who used to be really into BMX & skate park riding, who went through a brief MTB spell but has stuck mainly to 20”. He lives in Exeter now, about ¼ mile from a trail that leads to the powerline trail @ Fort Rock. Yesterday he got his hands on a complete Trek Superlite Y-frame, so he’s looking to check Fort Rock out a bit.

All my riding there has been based out of one of the 2 main lots, usually the lot by the train tracks. Normally I’d ride the fire road to the first single track turn off to the right, and launch in from there. Since he’ll be coming down the powerline trial from the opposite direction, I have a few questions.

1) Is the trail I usually take marked? “Ride downhill to the lot, turn around and climb back to the first right turnoff” seems like a lousy way to give directions to me. Especially to someone who doesn’t enjoy climbing.

2) How are the other single track turn-offs? Will he have as much fun if he just takes the first single track left turnoff off the powerline trail coming in from opposite the parking lot?

3) Where is this feature? http://www.bikerag.com/images/PICTURES/nh_exeter2_pics/DSCF0007.JPG
Obviously the available maps leave something to be desired, but a general area and/or rough directions would be helpful.
This one too, if they’re not one and the same http://www.bikerag.com/images/PICTURES/nh_exeter2_pics/DSCF0009.JPG

4) There’s another manmade feature I’d like help with the location of. It’s off the main trail, with an entrance that’s barely visible. I don’t want to blow it up too much online, I think part of the reason it’s remained hidden and basically unrecorded online is the liability aspect. I’m fairly sure it’s on the Oaklands side, not too far from the lot. If anyone can PM me I’ll give the specifics, see if you can’t lend a hand with location. My bad if I’m being overly paranoid here, but I don’t want to see the fun stuff get taken down because some dweeb put too much info about it on the web. I especially don’t want to be said dweeb.

Disclaimer: Though I’ve ridden fort rock quite a bit, my main tactic has been “enter singletrack, ride until tired or out of time, then try to find my way back”.

Thanks,

Dan

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Where you want to be riding is north of rt 101 and north of the powerlines toward Newfields. If you go up Rt 85 you will see Captains way on your left. Take that straight to the back and park under the powerlines on the grassy side of the street. The trail head is on the same side and is a pretty good climb. There are no signs or markings on the trails and no current maps to be found. Go right at the top and right at the next intersection. Follow this trail down hill a bit and take a hard left (easy to miss). Follow and stay left at the next 2 intersections. You will be going down a hill and up over the other side and take the next right (called G spot). Follow and stay right at a T intersection. You will end up behind some houses. Cross the street and look for a left after a bridge. This wil take you across the 2 swamp bridges you posted pictures of and back to the powerlines. Go up the hill at the powerlines. You can stay striaght of go left. Straight will eventually get you back to the top of the hill where you started of go left for some more riding. If you go left follow that trail and stay right at the next 2 intersections and stay straight at the 3rd and go right at the 4th which will bring you back to the top of the hill where you started.

These trails are way more rideable that most of the other stuff at Fort Rock

Hope his helps. There is more riding out there and more trails but it takes a few rides out there to get orientated as to where you are.

Last edited: