Quantcast

Anyone familiar with the Portland and Denver areas?

ryan12210

Chimp
Oct 14, 2007
I work from home and have decided to make the move out of Atlanta. Anyone familiar with the riding in these areas? Particularly, how the weather effects the amount of the year you can ride. I know both have awesome trails, but I've been spoiled by the ability to ride all year. Portland has good weather (not much snow and mild temps) but it seems like the trails are pretty far from the city for afternoon rides. Any input would be appreciated. I should probably post this in the forums for those areas, but I thought I might just get locals saying how great it is there compared to the South.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I spent 7 months in Portland a while ago. You are right about there being no riding directly in Portland, however you can easily get outside of town to some great spots. Scappoose is about 20 minutes north and has a ton of loamy XC trails and some short DH runs you can shuttle. Vancouver and Washougal, WA, just across the columbia river both have trails. An hour away is Hood River, with a ton of trails and Post Canyon which is a network of "freeride" trails. Black Rock is about 2 hours south, tons of riding an hour away in the coastal range. And IMO the best of all, Sandy Ridge trails 45 minutes away near Mt Hood. Its a really new system of trails built by Jason Wells of IMBA trail solutions. Look it up.

dirtyjungle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2011
Charlotte
Oregon is the only state that you are allowed to build in State parks. My brother lives in portland and loves it. I know the guy that did most of the building right outside of portland, Ashland is a good place. PM me for more info