Quantcast

Anyone from NY?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I was just wondering if anyone's from the Hudson Valley? I moved to Poughkeepsie last year and am looking for people to mountain bike/ride a rail trail with. Or to just tell me where the good places to ride are.

Thanks!

Beth

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm in New Paltz but myself and my peeps mostly ride DH, DJ, and general screwing around. Your more than welcome to join us but it may not be your cup of tea. For trail rides maybe you can hook up with a local shop ride.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Hey Beth

I'm up near albany but sometimes venture down your way

you should check out STA/stewart airport or jockey hill (kingston)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Awesome. I've heard great things about Jockey Hill. I also want to check out the 909.

Lexx D, What bikeshops do you like down here? I'm looking at buying a new mountain bike within the next month.

Beth

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
My shop is now closed :angry: so it depends on what your looking for. Table Rock tours in Rosendale has great CS and Tom is a good person to deal with. It really just depends how far you want to drive.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Lexx D said:
My shop is now closed :angry: so it depends on what your looking for. Table Rock tours in Rosendale has great CS and Tom is a good person to deal with. It really just depends how far you want to drive.
What brands of MB do they sell? I'm looking to spend somewhere under $1,000 with disk brakes and clipless pedals. I've been to Overlook Mountain Bikes in Woodstock checking out some Konas and I really like them.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I don't know the current owners of overlook so I can't help you there. I would call Table Rock Tours in Rosendale or The Bike Depot in New Paltz. The guys at table rock are my riding buddies and the owner of the bike depot has hooked me up lately so I deal with both shops. I'm not sure what they have in stock but it's worth a phone call. Either way get a bike and ride it, lots of great trails in the area. Vassar farms is a fun area within a couple minutes of you. :thumb:

Table Rock Tours 845-658-7832 tell them Alex sent you.
Bike Depot 845-255-3859

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Hi Beth, Terry here. I live in the Big rotten Apple, but come up to hike-a-bike downhill trails in Croton every once in a while. Croton has two pretty good shops for both bikes and ride hook ups. Down Cycles, downcycles.com and ET Cycle Center. Croton's just a wee bit south from Pough., ain't it?

Welcome to the general vicinity.

t

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey, thanks. It's great to see so many people from the area here. Has anyone ever done the tour of the 5 boroughs? I've heard it's gotten really crowded over the past few years and not much fun anymore. Is this true?

Beth

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I guess you don't need a road bike. I've talked to people who have done the tour. I guess it's gotten really crowded over the years and almost dangerous there are so many people.

I love Albany! I grew up just west of the city, so it was always my weekend stomping grounds. Does anyone know of any good bike rides/benefits, anything going on? I would love to get involved.

Also, is anyone in Fats in the Cats or the Mid-Hudson Biking Club? I moved down here just last year, so I'm still trying to figure this area out.

Beth

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
tmx said:
Hi Beth, Terry here. I live in the Big rotten Apple, but come up to hike-a-bike downhill trails in Croton every once in a while. Croton has two pretty good shops for both bikes and ride hook ups. Down Cycles, downcycles.com and ET Cycle Center. Croton's just a wee bit south from Pough., ain't it?

Welcome to the general vicinity.

t
Oops, almost forgot how close Down Cycles was for her. AJ's hooked me up with all my shyt this year. :thumb: Good people.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
McGRP01 said:
Always room for a fellow ::coughfemalecough:: :monkey: ! :p
Haha...I'm guessing you guys don't get to ride with girls often ;) Maybe sometime I'll give you the thrill and join you at Stewart for a ride.

Where in CT is the benefit ride?

The downtube in Albany looks cool, but whenever I'm up that way, it's always closed :-(

Beth

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
douglas said:
http://www.bikenewyork.org/BNY-TOUR.htm

never been/looks like fun!

I wish I could talk one of my friends into going
Bike New York is fun. :thumb:

I did it last year on my hardtail, will be returning this year.

You don't need a road bike, just throw some slicks on your bike.
I see more roadies flat on the side of the road than mtbs......

dangerous? maybe
overcrowded? maybe
Fun way to see NY? Definitely

There's all sorts of people there.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
Beth,

It would be super cool if you could join team ridemonkeydotcom for the MS Bike Tour ride on June 5th! :)
Yeah, that would be cool. I wonder how far that is from Poughkeepsie?

What are the details (how long? what kind of terrain?)

Thanks!

Beth

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, that would be cool. I wonder how far that is from Poughkeepsie?

What are the details (how long? what kind of terrain?)

Thanks!

Beth

Poughk to windsor : 92 miles / just under 2 hours drive

ms tour: 50 miles (w/ a small chance of bumping up to the 75 miler) and FLAT!

welcome!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The MS ride is a fun ride - lots of rest stops to refuel, get any quirky mechanicals looked at (Mechanics at each rest stop) and for a great great cause!!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Ooh, that sounds exciting. That month is pretty busy thus far, but I'll see what I can do. Do you guys know about anything that's going on closer to NY?

Also, I was thinking of checking out the NY Bike show in Manhatten this year. Has anyone been?

Beth

jennyooooo

Chimp
Apr 24, 2005
brooklyn, ny
hi all

i'm new the forum....i just moved to nyc in the fall from the boston area and i'm itching to do a little mountain biking.....

anyone in the are PLEASE let me know.....i think i'm slowing dying from lack of dirt!!!

tata
jennyoooooooooo

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jennyooooo said:
hi all

i'm new the forum....i just moved to nyc in the fall from the boston area and i'm itching to do a little mountain biking.....

anyone in the are PLEASE let me know.....i think i'm slowing dying from lack of dirt!!!

tata
jennyoooooooooo
Welcome! I live upstate (Saratoga Springs, NY area) so if you're ever in need of a roadtrip...let me know. I'm always happy to show a new mud hunnie some awesome trails!

jennyooooo

Chimp
Apr 24, 2005
brooklyn, ny
oh yeah and i do have a car so i can totally travel to ride....

i have 3 racks so i can shuttle out of the city!

i'd love to start some weekly riding in the woods. i would like to do 24 hours of great glenn this year so i need to get my ass out there.....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jennyooooo said:
oh yeah and i do have a car so i can totally travel to ride....

i have 3 racks so i can shuttle out of the city!

i'd love to start some weekly riding in the woods. i would like to do 24 hours of great glenn this year so i need to get my ass out there.....
Sweet! I am thinking of doing the 12/24 of Pats Peak solo (12 hours) or duo (24 hours) so I definately need to ride as well.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
jennyooooo said:
hi all

tata
jennyoooooooooo
Hey! Welcome to NY. I live in the Hudson Valley (the area just above NYC). The mountain biking down here is top notch. If you don't mind driving some (1-2 hrs), there are some great places (check out the Stewart Airport buffer zone in Newburg, Fahnstock State Park in Putnam County, the 909 in Hereford and Minnewaska State Park in New Paltz).

I'm always looking for people to ride with (I've only been here about a year myself). Drop a line.

Happy riding!

Beth

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Beth,

It would be super cool if you could join team ridemonkeydotcom for the MS Bike Tour ride on June 5th! :)
do people actually still say "super cool"? I wasn't aware of that.