Quantcast

Anyone going to Angel Fire the end of May?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
yes ma'am. i'll be there and will look for you. i'll be on a chrome bike with no stickers.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I'll be there...just preregistered yesterday.

When will you be getting there Moshee? We'll be there early early Friday am....in for some practice runs together?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
weimie--
I'd totally be up for some pre-rides together!! What class are you racing in this year? I am going to try and race expert, although that may be a mistake :). We are planning on getting out there late Wednesday or so and will be camping.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I'm sticking with Sport again this year. Last year was my first year racing and riding DH so I'm gonna give it another go....if I feel more confident with my first couple races then maybe I'll upgrade.

Guess we won't be practicing together then :hmm:

We're getting in early early Friday morning. If you need a place to shower...or stay even...we've got a 2bdrm condo with only 4 people and 1 dog staying in it so far. The more people we cram in the better!

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Thanks weimie!!! We are bringing our dog with us too, but he isn't too happy around other dogs (he's a real picky and anal border collie), so rooming with you all wouldn't be too fun. But we should at least try to hang out some. My hubby is racing sport, and I am hoping we can sneak in a few rides together before most people arrive and the place becomes more rigorous about enforcing the class-practice times.

Last year, we got there on a Thursday and it was pretty dead. So dead you had to find your own shuttle because the lifts weren't working. I went up top with a bunch of people I didn't know. I was my first time at a DH race and I just remember getting to the top of the mountain and it started to hail and a storm blew in and I kept thinking, "now I really have to make it down the mountain fast". It was good motivation, but the whole experience was rather ethereal. All the guys I rode up top with were semi-pro or pro's and they just took off. I was really nervous until I ran into a dad with his son that were schooling a lot of things and practicing the tough stuff, so I hung out with them. It was a lot of fun. Anyways, that was a bit of a side-track. I am soooo happy to be going to Angel Fire this year!!! I can't wait.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
We were planning to go - have the condo reserved and all - but my husband got a new job and now would only have the 3 days off of work. 12+ hours driving each way... and he decided to bail. I've heard it's a really fun course, so that's a bummer. :(

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Moshee...you are welcome to shower up in our place.

Although I'm not looking forward to racing, I am looking forward to riding the course at Angel Fire....couldn't pass it up.

See you out there! You and you're new bike :biggrin:

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I hope you ladies had a good race!! I drove up and rode Wed., Thursday, and Friday, but a family thing came up and we left early. Which was kind of good. I wasn't feeling the race spirit that much this time around. I liked the course though. I think it was the World Cup course? I managed to get everything down, except for the first rock garden up at the very top (I think they roped it off for the Sport/beginner). Damn, and next year, I want to have the skills (or is it confidence!?) to do that step down on the expert course. I wussed out on that one. :) But my new bike was awesome.

I am sort of depressed about DH. I think I just need to be in a place where I can ride DH more often then just at a race. I don't like that feeling of HAVING to ride, rather then wanting to ride. It sort of bummed me out. I had been looking forward to it a lot. But mentally I wasn't feeling the race, so leaving early wasn't so horrible. It hailed a lot on us and rained Wed and Thursday. Friday afternoon looked a bit ominous too, when the closed the lifts due to lightening. But i heard they had a reasonable sized women's expert class for 4x and the experts got to race experts, rather then Pro women!! That is kind of exciting. I was impressed how many women I saw out there this year. Norba races seem so small (in the women component) by comparison.

Ugh. Oh well. Weimie -- I'll be checking the scores, I know you'll do well! You rocked last year!! Chrissie, i don't think we've met, but you and your infamous skirt rock too!

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Well...I wussed out also. We got there around noon on Friday and walked the course a bit and it started to hail. Next day practice wasn't until late afternoon so I decided to walk the course and watch the Pro/Semi/Expert practice....not a good idea. The course was super sloppy and no one could stay on their bike. I saw some pretty good wrecks, 2 broken wrists and a couple bad shoulder injuries. Then I saw my bf riding and he just said "not good". I guess he took a hard fall on a wet root and fell on his knee. He could barely keep his feet on his pedals and couldn't walk. I decided to walk down with him to the pits, grabbed a beer from the Militia/Rockstar boys and called it a weekend. I had a blast walking up and down the mountain and cheering everone else on.

Reminder to myself....it's better to NOT walk the wet, muddy, slick course before your practice run. I need to just get on my bike and ride it, checking out the course as I go along. Walking the couse is good after I've ridden it a couple times to see better lines.

Don't worry Moshee, I'm not feelin' the race spirit either for DH. I love riding it but I hate the pressure of racing it. I may just stick to XC racing this year. I've been on the DH bike a couple time this year for early morning shuttle runs and I've had a blast....I get to a race and I can't get the nerve to even do a practice run :plthumbsdown:

We'll be at the Wildflower Rush but I'll probably be racing XC and maybe Super D, I'll save the DH for fun riding.

Hope everything is okay with your family.