Quantcast

Anyone had any experience with thermogenic supplements?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by LeatherFace

Yes
Combined with a good diet and exercise program, yes they work. They are controversial though because of the side effects (loss of appetite, loss of sleep, dry mouth, dizzyness, increased heart rate, etc). Few argue their effectiveness. Many argue their safety.

Here's the deal:

They contain an ingredient called epheda/ephedrine (which is made from an herb called ma huang). (forgive my spelling).

It's very controversial because for some people, it has nasty side affects. Basically it speeds up your metabolism. Some people will lose weight and not have any adverse side affects while other people will have racing heart beats, be jittery, loss of sleep etc.

I've considered taking it - and know people who do - I just can't bring myself to try it. And I know my body and how it reacts to supplements, herbs and meds - and I'd probably be ok with it. It still wouldn't change the fact that if I don't exercise and change the way I eat, no weight loss would be permenent.

....oh, also there are inconcusive studies about possible damage from long term use.

R

RideMonkey

Increase in heart rate = increase in metabolism, resulting in weight loss.

The result? long term elevation of heart rate can result in heart failure.

We never know what the long term results of all these chemicals will be. Todays miracle supplement will be tomorrows cancer.

There is a simple way to avoid the uncertainty: eat natural foods, get lots of exercise, and stay away from suppliments, chemicals, and miracle cures.

Too good to be true? It is.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by RideMonkey

We never know what the long term results of all these chemicals will be. Todays miracle supplement will be tomorrows cancer.

There is a simple way to avoid the uncertainty: eat natural foods, get lots of exercise, and stay away from suppliments, chemicals, and miracle cures.

Too good to be true? It is.
Good reply. :thumb:

In addition to ephedrine, these products also have excessive amounts of caffeine in them (which is most often not even listed on the labels since it is not required by the FDA).

When the ads say "speed up your metabolism" they mean speeding up your metabolism the same way that a pot of coffee in the morning speeds up your metabolism, not some actual change in your body's chemistry.

They make you jittery and nervous so you move around a lot more. THAT's where the actual weight loss is coming from (you being jittery and nervous and moving around more). NOT from any actual change to your body's metabolism.

They are using a little bit of "slippery english" to confuse the public. I wish the FDA would hurry up and clamp down on these "supplement" manufacturers and force them to comply with the same standards as other pharmaceuticals.

My feeling is that these "supplements" are about as healthy as drinking a pot of coffee every morning.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
When I worked out a lot I used this supplement during my cutting phase. It causes you to loose weight in three ways

1 - thermogenic - increases body temperature thereby increasing fat burned

2 - speed like affects - everything will be done fast and you will quicker. This supplement when combined properly has the same affects as speed. The original fat burning drug.

3 - Appetite suppresent - Ephedrine has several natural side affect one of which is suppression of appetite. It also has an affect that opens up your air tubes for easier breathing. Ephedrine was and is still used as an inhalation asthma treatment.

I used that cocktail (ephedrine, caffeine, asprin) for a long time in a well worked out cycle for my body. I also made sure to speak with a well educated 'supplement and ahtletic' based doctor. I find regular doctors don't know squat about much of anything and ar few a lot of information that is bogus. However if you are predisposed to heart failure or any other number of problems that relate to your matabolism you doctor will warn you and really you shouldn't take these.

As for safety. All of the related deaths in this area were also in combination with other drugs and/or overdose, not this supplement taken with regular doses and being cycles on and off.

Be very careful because they are very powerful. I believe that Hydroxicut (sp) has the strongest cocktail mixture around (arg Canadian company and I can't even buy the stuff anymore) and they recommend 2 pill 4x daily. Unless you are huge you will notice the jittery side affects. Start out small 1 pill 3 x daily. If there is no affect add 1 pill in the morning. Do not go over 8. I am 6'5 and 250 solid and I would never use more than 6 or 7.

As for the arguments about wheher this particular supplement works or not. It does PERIOD. For some people works to well.

If you are planning to take these you should also be sure to eat in the proper manner. 5 to 6 small meals daily to keep your own digestive system running and burning calories naturally. IF you aren't doing this already don't use the supplement until your diet is correct.

Best of luck. Now I just have to find someone in Canada who has the stuff. :D

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
As for health risks, I fully agree that they are there. It's only a matter of time before the FDA steps in and removes this stuff from the shelves.