Quantcast

Anyone had gastro enteritis?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ok so has anyone else here ever had Gastro Enteritis? I had to go get an IV last night after my body felt the need to evacuate all bodily fluids for about 14 hours straight, from every orifice.

I have a hospital style menu of things i can eat; It contains such wonderful menu items as pureed veal and beef bouillon. The only good parts are the jello and ginger ale.

Has anyone else had this? What sort of foods were safe for you to eat? I cannot eat solid foods for about 2 days still and to be quite honest, I am starving. I feel much better besides the random rumble from my stomach. I am used to a training diet of 4000 calories a day, this beef bouillon, jello and ginger ale crap is making me hungry. Help!

Note: For those not aware - gastro entiritis is a viral inflammation of the intestines and stomach, causing you to vomit and have diarrhea for as long as 1-10 days. It can kill infants and the elderly as they cannot replace fluids fast enough. NOt dangerous here, just disgusting and annoying. I cannot even leave the house for 48 hours, as I am highly contagious.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man stomach viruses are no joke. You are probably a bit lucky because you understand the importance of hydration and you know what dehydration feels like.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:
Man stomach viruses are no joke. You are probably a bit lucky because you understand the importance of hydration and you know what dehydration feels like.
Ya as soon as it started i was tanking as much water and gatorade as possible. Then they told me that water rehydrates you, but makes you puke more. Oops.

Anyways i was really dehydrated eventually and couldn't get enough down so i went and got all pumped up and got this lovely menu, courtesy my canadian tax dollars.

I wish i could eat some food that doesn't slosh or jiggle tho. :rolleyes:

DHgirlie, thanks. It is definetly not a fun position to be in. Only upside is that i managed to write almost an entire term paper today.

gastroenteritis is simply an infection of the GI tract (usually small or large intestines). the infectious cause can be either bacteria, viral, or funga/protozean.

i'm seen a plenty of cases. no biggie, as long as you can replenish what you lose in the diarrhea/vomiting. and as long as you don't progress to an obstruction. the viral infection usually just runs (no pun intended) its course and you recover.

did you eat something bad? or did you come in contact with some sick kid?

mode of transmission is usually fecal-oral....theres something to think about. always be sure to wash your hands!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
GiantDHRider said:
gastroenteritis is simply an infection of the GI tract (usually small or large intestines). the infectious cause can be either bacteria, viral, or funga/protozean.

i'm seen a plenty of cases. no biggie, as long as you can replenish what you lose in the diarrhea/vomiting. and as long as you don't progress to an obstruction. the viral infection usually just runs (no pun intended) its course and you recover.

did you eat something bad? or did you come in contact with some sick kid?

mode of transmission is usually fecal-oral....theres something to think about. always be sure to wash your hands!
Ya, web MD secured all that info for me as soon as it started to happen (hey i couldn't sleep so why not).

I am ok on the liquids front now, tho it was touch and go when i would puke as soon as i drank anything.

I am guessing it came from some change at a store or something, as all i did on sunday was shop a bit and come home.
nice runny poop joke, BTW. :p

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Damn, that sucks real bad... dont kow wat to tell ya about the food thing... wai, I've got it; You could blend up a bunch of beef bullion in some jello mix and then cut it up with a knife and fork... close your eyes and imagine prime rib"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
golgiaparatus said:
Damn, that sucks real bad... dont kow wat to tell ya about the food thing... wai, I've got it; You could blend up a bunch of beef bullion in some jello mix and then cut it up with a knife and fork... close your eyes and imagine prime rib"
mmm so tender.